Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-21-2020, 08:54 PM
waldo9190

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New Guy - NRL22 Setup

Hi all,

I'm new here, but have been a lurker for a while. I've decided that I'd like to setup a bolt gun to start dabbling in some local NRL22 matches and for some longer range rimfire plinking around the farm. I've narrowed it down to either the B22 FV or the FV-SR. I'm very familiar with the 93 and MKII series of rifles, as we've had those in the family for years, so I'm really excited to set up another Savage. I guess for the guys who have possibly shot both of these, is there any benefit of going with the FV over the FV-SR? I don't have any plans of adding a suppressor, so I'm not worried about whether or not I have the threaded barrel. How does the FV handle compared to the FV-SR? I've read quite a few comparisons between the FV/FV-SR in the MKII series, and some people say the added weight/length of the FV is a hinderance during matches, some say it is a nicer rifle to shoot. I'm leaning towards the FV (I like the idea of the longer barrel) but if you all think it would be significantly better to go with the SR model then I could go that way.

Also, if anyone has glass recommendations I am all ears. I've been looking at the Vortex Diamondback Tactical, 4-16 FFP.

Thanks for the advice! I'm looking forward to learning more from everyone here.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:02 PM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Maybe ask over in the long range section too?
WELCOME TO RFC!
Old 11-22-2020, 03:48 PM
BluEyes
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've been running some NRL22 matches over here in Michigan and using a B22L Unfortunately Savage only gives us left-eyed people the plain rifles so I can't comment on the exact models here, but it shoots well regardless.

I would agree that a shorter barrel is of benefit though. There is enough gun maneuvering in certain stages, and they love having you shoot off the different rungs of the ladder. There's a lot of motion having to move the entire rifle back and then forward again. I've thought about having my barrel chopped down to 16", but that would kick me out of base class so I just live with it.

I would definitely opt for the 6-24x Vortex over 4-16. Yes, most of my shooting in a match is 10-12x, but once in a while the higher magnification is useful. Especially if you have a chance to stretch the rifle out further, 24x can be handy even if it is just to spot and identify targets. At the same time, the difference between 4x and 6x on the low end of things rarely makes a difference.

We've had several shooters do well with Mark II's at our matches also, you could probably just start with different glass on one of your existing rifles for the first match and then go from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2020, 09:21 AM
waldo9190

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I should add that I've also been looking at the SWFA fixed 10x or 12x, and that through my place of employment I can get the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16, 6-24, or one of the SWFA Fixed Scopes for essentially the same price (+/- $10 or so).
Old 11-23-2020, 10:22 AM
jkv45
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo9190 View Post
I should add that I've also been looking at the SWFA fixed 10x or 12x, and that through my place of employment I can get the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16, 6-24, or one of the SWFA Fixed Scopes for essentially the same price (+/- $10 or so).
I've got a couple of the SWFAs on my Savages - a 10x and a 12x - just to keep it simple. You may want to see what others have found to work best for what you want to do.

Savage Mark II Target with Pro Varmint (front) and a 10x, Model 10 FCP HS Precision .308 with a 12x (back)

The SWFA scopes are very bright and robust, but Vortex has some very nice scopes as well and a lifetime warrantee.

I had a couple mid-range Vortex scopes, but sold them when I set-up these 2 rifles. Just wanted to keep them both pretty similar - and simple.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:38 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a couple of the SWFA 10x, but on longer range rifles. They are great, but I like something like 2x to 8x variable for my .22s.
Old Yesterday, 09:03 AM
waldo9190

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think I've decided to go with the BV22 FV-SR and the Athlon Argos 6-24x50. I think having the variability in magnification will fit the bill for me nicely, and this scope seems to get fantastic reviews in the NRL22 realm.

Thank you all for the input.
Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM
jkv45
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo9190 View Post
I think I've decided to go with the BV22 FV-SR and the Athlon Argos 6-24x50. I think having the variability in magnification will fit the bill for me nicely, and this scope seems to get fantastic reviews in the NRL22 realm.

Thank you all for the input.
Sounds good - let us know how it works for you.

It does seem that some of the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50s are having issues with the parallax focus and need to be sent in for repair.

Last edited by jkv45; Yesterday at 09:10 AM.
Old Today, 09:24 AM
BluEyes
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounds like a nice little base class setup!