Reshaping the firing pin on my Montana Varminter - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-09-2020, 12:47 AM
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I may have outsmarted myself.

Just in case I went too far, having a spare firing pin might be prudent.

Well it will not insert into the bolt body.

Contacted Cooper and every firing pin is hand fitted to the bolt, done by one of their gunsmiths.
Until the COVID thing is over, I will grin and bear it but will probably send the bolt body down to have the new FP fitted.

The CenterX tested to date does not perform as on the test target although it is shrouded in secrecy what ammo was actually used.

Last Tuesday, the first shot with CenterX was low and left by two inches. Continued to condition the bore with five hot groups and shot a 0.90 c-c at 100 yards before I ran out of ammo.

Had 10 rounds of Eley TENEX and the first group measured 0.91" and the second group measured 0.41" at 100 yards. Probably worthwhile keeping it.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:47 AM
elohssa63
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
75% (2)
If my TRP-3 shot like that I wouldn`t touch it. The firing pin has to be fit to the bolt nose not the bolt body. Only the length and proper taper to the firing pin tip has to be fit. Just don`t get it too short as you can`t add length.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:18 PM
cclfn
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I have a couple extra NOS M57 firing pins that could got to a new home if anyone needs a spare.