Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-22-2020, 06:56 AM
Amleto63

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Caldwell Rock BR worth it?

I would start familiarizing with Sporter BR with my Anschutz 64 SBR barreled action mounted in a Cicognani BR Sporter stock and equipped with a Weaver T6.

Is this rest fine for starting or is it better to borrow one and wait later for a better rest?
Old 01-22-2020, 07:20 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
It was fine for me. I bought a Bald Eagle ultimately, but I keep both rests set up. The Bald Eagle is for rifles with wide forearms, the Rock BR is for my sporters. Of course you can swap the bags on the rests . . . but I prefer to 'grab and go" when a range opportunity presents itself.

The BR was my first rest, and although it is not exactly a model of precision it is more than enough to get you started.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:43 PM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
I've had the BR for quite some time, never felt I needed to upgrade, does every thing you would expect out of a good rest.

Replaced the bag with a Protektor bag; I have a narrower one for my sporters and a wide for the beavertails.

IMHO you cant go wrong

pipestone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2020, 06:09 PM
StevieNH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amleto63 View Post

Is this rest fine for starting or is it better to borrow one and wait later for a better rest?
The Rock BR is an adequate performer, if a little less than precise. It is a good way to get accustomed to bench rest shooting so you can make informed choices should you decide to step up to a higher performance setup.

The good news is that you can get some very nice upgrades for the BR, or even a very sexy replacement, for a not-ridiculous amount of money. I have been impressed with Dan Greenlaw's stuff. You can check it out at http://drgreenlawmachining.com/home
Old 01-22-2020, 07:20 PM
dryfly24
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieNH View Post
The Rock BR is an adequate performer, if a little less than precise. It is a good way to get accustomed to bench rest shooting so you can make informed choices should you decide to step up to a higher performance setup.

The good news is that you can get some very nice upgrades for the BR, or even a very sexy replacement, for a not-ridiculous amount of money. I have been impressed with Dan Greenlaw's stuff. You can check it out at http://drgreenlawmachining.com/home
I just ordered a Greenlaw with adjustable top. But you may find the price too much to absorb.

Another good alternative for about half the price of the Greenlaw is the Cowan. Iíve been shooting one for so long I canít remember when I got it. Maybe twenty years or so now? I think they still run around $250 bucks or so.

Of course for half the price of the Cowan you can get your Rock BR which will serve you well until youíre ready to step up to something else. If youíre just starting out and don't intend to compete seriously, youíll be fine with it.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:37 PM
staff3704
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipestone View Post
I've had the BR for quite some time, never felt I needed to upgrade, does every thing you would expect out of a good rest.

Replaced the bag with a Protektor bag; I have a narrower one for my sporters and a wide for the beavertails.

IMHO you cant go wrong

pipestone
That's what I did. Worked fine for me.
Old 01-25-2020, 02:09 AM
ammohog
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
FYI

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...3#post11535553
Old 01-25-2020, 08:32 AM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Rock BR can perform quiet well IF you it set up properly.....proper fitting front bag, etc., and it may initially need some adjusting and refining....easy enough to do if you have any mechanical skills at all. My first rest was a BR and I still have it, and I have won a lot of matches shooting factory sporter class rifles using that rest - haven't seen any need to upgrade. A front rest is a front rest and has a certain number of things it needs to do.....if properly tuned and set up, the BR can do those things. Certainly there are more refined, expensive, and easier to set up rests, but in my experience, I am confident I can shoot as well off my BR as with any of the others.

But of course it doesn't have the wow factor of more expensive rests.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:17 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
There are some readily available threads and stuff online about how to disassemble and tune up the Caldwell and Bald Eagle rests; think of one as a pre-assembled kit.
Imo, a properly stacked, well set up pile of bags will do the job, just not as quickly and easy.
Were I you (and I was not so long ago) I would cool my jets and watch the Trading Post here at RFC several times a day for a rest a member is selling when upgrading, downsizing or possibly getting out of BR.
Btw, do you have to hump all that BR gear to a range bench? It can get complicated and heavy pretty quick.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:44 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Rock BR is great start

If you perform the thrust bearing upgrades, remove the plastic brake shoe on the mariner wheel stop handscrew, and swap the handscrews, you'll be pleasantly surprised at what an improvement it is.

Bill40718 has an excellent tutorial on it- https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=956881

And don't forget to change out the top bag with a Protektor.