Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:19 AM
tavs
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Smile LTR pic thread

Figure I would get it started. Post your LTR setups.

The Liberty Training Rifle or LTR is a common Appleseed setup. There are no set rules for what you use.

Generally a sling is all that's required, usually Tech Sights or other peep sight. Scopes work fine too.

Tavs

Last edited by JEE; 10-24-2013 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Add symbol
Old 06-21-2010, 01:43 PM
kornphlake

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's mine:

It's got a williams 5d peep sight on it and sling studs not shown in the picture. I shot a 210 to qualify as rifleman.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:54 PM
mals9
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Glenfield 70 with Tech-Sights

It now wears a GI web sling. Earned my patch with this one.
Great little rifle.

Mals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2010, 04:14 PM
NCchris
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Here's mine:

10/22 WalMart DSP Stock
Shilen 22" varmint taper barrel
RT Trigger stuff
Suhl 150 rear sight
M14/M1A Front on custom ramp

I shot Rifleman on my first Appleseed with my 10/22T with a scope. Haven't taken this one yet. Appleseed this weekend, i'm going if possible.
/chris
Old 06-21-2010, 07:32 PM
CraigC

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Mine is built with a Nodak receiver, their proprietary rear sight with TS-200 elevation adjustable module, steel TS front sight in a Marbles ramp, Clark 21.5" midweight barrel, R/T accurized bolt, laminate stock, black leather Brownells national match sling and since this picture was taken, a KID two stage trigger. So far I've been to one shoot and qualified on three AQT's with a best score of 242. Hoping to do better this fall.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:32 PM
Usagi
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Don't have a pic, as the wife decided that it is now hers!

Looked like this one from tech-sights' website:

Used a Marlin 60 with Tech-sights & GI sling - shot 5/22 & 5/23.

Shot a "no-excuses" (no sling, mods, and bulk ammo) Rifleman score of 217 with it on the first AQT of the day. I challenge the shooters out there to try it... very challenging!

On Sunday, while using a sling, managed to eek out a 238 with it.

Last edited by Usagi; 09-09-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:02 PM
tavs

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
This is a new addition. Gander had them for $130 after $25 mail in rebate.

The scope is a fixed 4 power.

The scope will probably be going on a 10/22 and will be fitting this with a set of Tech sights.

I will try to get some better "field" pictures.

Tavs.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:45 AM
WyoStillhunter
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just found this Appleseed forum so will post my LTR pics.

My first AS shoot was two weeks ago. I managed to score Rifleman using a bolt action Rem. 513S and Weaver K2.5 post/crosshair scope. But I want to earn a Rifleman badge with irons and be "just like the big boys (and girls)!"

I took delivery of a new Marlin 795 one week ago, installed Tech Sights three days ago, and shot my first AQT-type targets at noon yesterday. I plan to take it to AS in Pine Bluffs, WY this July 17 & 18.

Marlin 795 in Liberty Training Rifle configuration:

Tech Sights for Marlin 795:

GI Web sling and Uncle Mike’s 1 ” swivels on Marlin 795 LTR:

"400 yd." targets shot yesterday at local 4-H indoor range. Unofficial score for the 40 round AQT was 228 but it wasn't timed and no magazine changes...just pinned up all the targets and worked my way through them. I am impressed with the accuracy of these sights even with my 64 year old eyes and spectacles. With only about 100 rounds through this new gun so far, I expect it will get even better with more shooting.

Last edited by WyoStillhunter; 06-22-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:47 AM
NCchris

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Mine is built with a Nodak receiver, their proprietary rear sight with TS-200 elevation adjustable module, steel TS front sight in a Marbles ramp, Clark 21.5" midweight barrel, R/T accurized bolt, laminate stock, black leather Brownells national match sling and since this picture was taken, a KID two stage trigger. So far I've been to one shoot and qualified on three AQT's with a best score of 242. Hoping to do better this fall.

Nice shootin' iron! Congrats on the AQT score. Just curious, how old are your eyes?
/chris
Old 06-22-2010, 10:55 AM
CraigC

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks! 35yrs old and certainly not what they used to be.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:38 AM
dwarven1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ooh, hey, can I play?

That's me slinging up Sting, my 1981 vintage 10/22. Garand sling, modified bolt release and hammer, Bell & Carlson extended mag release, nylon bolt buffer (made out of a nylon bolt ), Volquartsen extractor, and a Weaver K7 scope (I just can't really see the 4 MOA targets real well otherwise!).

This is my beater that I just put together a few months back; it's purely a loaner.

Here's what I did to it:

Added Tech-Sights. ($55)
Replaced sear spring (free from Ruger as original had broken)
Stoned hammer
Stoned sear (since the new spring was pushing the sear down to far to allow the safety to engage)
Hogged out the bolt release so it's a one hand operation to release the bolt
Stoned down the bolt (it had gotten somewhat rusted)
CLEANED it (it was NASTY)
Installed Volquartsen extractor ($12)
Installed Bell & Carlson extended mag release ($5)
Installed sling, studs and swivels ($18)
removed barrel band (not needed)
polyurethaned stock (the finish had worn off - it was UGLY)
Added 3 more magazines. ($39)

The dealer I got it from had wirebrushed the barrel (I think) because of rust on the underside where the barrel rests in the stock and sanded down the stock (again, I think). I knew what I was getting when I bought it. It was all of $110. Accessories were about $133. Hasn't made any riflemen - yet - but it will. It shoots pretty good for a beater.

BTW, I'm an Instructor up in New England.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:13 PM
fprintf

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is mine:

The top rifle is what I shot Rifleman with when the scope was on it.

The bottom rifle is a middle school graduation gift to my 14 year old son along with trips to as many Appleseed events as he chooses to come to. Originally the Tech-Sights were on his gun but after going to the range he said he preferred the scope, so I gave it to him and put the iron sights on my gun. I also told him he is free to use whichever gun makes him happy that day, but one of the guns (the bottom one) is his forever, and the other is mine until I die.

The top gun has a full homemade Marlin 60 trigger job including lopping off an extra coil on the hammer spring. The bottom gun has less work done honing the sear/hammer, no coils off the hammer spring. Otherwise the guns are identical.

So in the vein of the old Mastercard commercials:
Two Marlin 795s: $250 before rebate
Two Web slings and sling swivels: $30
Scope, Mount and Tech Sights: $129
Four extra mags: $50
Spending time at the rifle range with my son: Priceless....
Old 06-22-2010, 01:56 PM
WyoStillhunter
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
fprintf,

It looks like you have applied something to the magazines. Did you do that as a "non-slip" treatment? What exactly did you do to them?
Old 06-22-2010, 02:04 PM
fprintf

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoStillhunter View Post
fprintf,

It looks like you have applied something to the magazines. Did you do that as a "non-slip" treatment? What exactly did you do to them?
Yes, I went to Home Depot and found a roll of non-skid tape (3" wide, I think) that is meant for stairs and ladders. I cut this into little squares and stuck it to both sides of the magazine. It helps when a magazine gets stuck or if it is humid, rainy or sunscreen gets on my hands. I used an Xacto knife to cut the little squares since a larger piece would interfere with the observation holes.

I also cleaned the mags with powder blast to ensure there was no oil residue on them so that the tape would stick well. I don't know if it was necessary since the tape is quite aggressively sticky.

By the way, I did this after my first Appleseed event but it was absolutely not necessary as I had absolutely no problems removing the magazines during either the rapid AQT or regular one. I just felt like doing it to ensure success in all kinds of weather, or maybe just cause it makes the mags "mine".
Old 06-22-2010, 05:47 PM
CoasterCOG

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via ICQ to CoasterCOG Send a message via AIM to CoasterCOG
Here is my LTR, I'm hoping to make it to my first shoot next month. Trigger pull is very nice. I still need to do some more sanding to get the barrel free floated. I had planned on starting with a synthetic stock model but this one was on sale for $269. I figured I could pick up some plastic furniture later.

Parts:
TSR200 Aperture Sight
Volquartsen Bolt Release and Target Hammer
Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor
Volquartsen Hex Head Takedown Screw
Bolt Buffer

I was one stud short when I took the picture so the sling wasn't on it yet.