Are Biathlon rifles competitive enough to use for benchrest competition? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:29 AM
Remington597
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I don't believe the rifle is a no go. The stock is, but not the action or the barrel.

the Walther KK300 Universal is a gun built for 3-position (much like the KK100) not really Biathlon. (Sorry ERdept)

The gun is capable of .3 5 shot groups at 50yds.

Look at this:
http://www.edinkillie.co.uk/ecatalog...fle-p-723.html

It is worth the extra $$$$.

Here is my 3p gun. Same action and barrel as the one you were looking at just a different stock.

Here is a typical A-23/5 with RWS Target Rifle

I would say keep it in mind, it's level with the Anschutz 54 and 20** actions.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:06 AM
ERdept

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington597 View Post
I don't believe the rifle is a no go. The stock is, but not the action or the barrel.

the Walther KK300 Universal is a gun built for 3-position (much like the KK100) not really Biathlon. (Sorry ERdept)

The gun is capable of .3 5 shot groups at 50yds.

Look at this:
http://www.edinkillie.co.uk/ecatalog...fle-p-723.html

It is worth the extra $$$$.

Here is my 3p gun. Same action and barrel as the one you were looking at just a different stock.

Here is a typical A-23/5 with RWS Target Rifle

I would say keep it in mind, it's level with the Anschutz 54 and 20** actions.

OK, thanks for the correction.

But .3 is not good enough right, as it seems good shooters are EXPECTING rifles capable of .1-.2.

If the best it could ever achieve is .3, then the defined best it could ever do, is not good enough.

It's all theory at this point. As if I could consistently even attain a shot group that good.

Im just wierd like that. I like knowing when I fail, it's me, because the equipment could do it.

I was and am always like that. When i was on on certain sports teams in college and high school, I had to have to best stuff, cause I knew when I failed, it was me.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:07 AM
ERdept

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Beautiful rifle by the way.

Would this shoot better than the .3 you say, with a Tuner?
Old 06-27-2013, 03:21 AM
Remington597

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Certainly, the group I posted was in the prone position with a sling using a V-16 scope. Nothing like a benchrest rifle would have. The ammo was RWS Target Rifle, it cost about $6.50 USD per box of fifty. If I had the money to shoot what it really likes (Lapua Midas or X-act). it would shoot consistently smaller.
Adding something like a T-36 and a turner, yes I would believe that it would be a competitive rifle that would print under .3 inch.
Just for reference the group I posted above measured a max spread (CTC) of 0.239 (OnTarget program). Well under the magic 0.3.

Is it a fully custom rifle that would cost close to $5k to start, no. But I believe if could very easily hold its own.

Some the of prone shooters that I have shot with in the past had plan old anschutz 18** with 54 actions and they could easily print a 200-20x target where the groups looked like a single bullet.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:11 AM
ultramag44
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Please also consider....

What type of "Benchrest" are you considering?

This (very good) thread has focused on the rifle.

But there are different shooting disciplines. Some are nationally rated and sanctioned. Others are club-level, but the rules mirror national groups. Some shoot for score, some shoot group, some allow 1-piece rests, others require 2-piece rests.

Some clubs, to avoid an "arms race", restrict the use or amount of flags. Some have claim matches. Others restrict the ammo used.

If you have a local club, find out what matches they shoot. Visit a shoot and observe. You will learn quickly what's what.

Remember this: the wind has exactly ZERO respect for the fact a guy acquired Turbo action, Lilja barrel, Edge stock, jewel trigger, Harrell tuner, March scope and waited breathlessly while 'Mr. C' assembled it.

The wind also could care less that almost as much $$$ as the rifle cost was spent on rests, flags and cases of the best Eley ammo, etc, etc, etc.

Our Benchrest match was last Sunday. I actually brought 4 different rifles. Depending on range conditions, I would shoot either rifle A or rifle B. Rifle C was there to loan to another fellow. Rifle D was one I has just got set up; it was there for final adjustments and ammo trials (after the match). The wind was running 21.6 mph w/ reversals! My wind flag and wind probe were the 2 most important pieces of equipment I brought.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:54 PM
Jim Pollard

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
People want to say that a custom rifle cost $5000. I own several and that amount is not correct. A better amount would be $3000. An action ( Myer, Turbo, 40 X) will run about $1100. A barrel will run about $350 An Edge stock is about $400. A tuner is about $175 A Jewell trigger is about $175. Gunsmith is about $500 and a good bedding job is about $ 200 to $300. That adds up to about $2700. That is below $ 3000. I just built a Myers, Shilen, Edge, Jewell, and Harold tuner with labor for under $ 3000. It is the best I could put togather. I have yet to build one that costs over $ 3000. I have Turbos, and a 40X action benchrest guns. I do shoot ARA and IR 5050. I do use a Pappas rest, that costs about $ 700.
Jim

I reread this and didn't include bases and rings --say $50 and a scope. Scopes prices have a wide spread, so just for fun, a Weaver 36 is about $375. I did go over $ 3000 but not by much. Every thing is available from Killough shooting sports.
Jim

Last edited by Jim Pollard; 06-27-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:32 PM
randymac

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
A good custom built rifle will shoot in the .0's even a sporter class rifle. example, 50yrd 5 shot group and custom anschutz sporter.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:38 PM
ERdept

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
So, I will not "polish a turd".

Not to say the Walther is a turd.

I called this place and spoke to a Leonard. I ordered one of their Falcon action .22's..

http://www.baityscustom.com

Guess it will be here in 2-3 months.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:04 AM
mkane

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
The Swiss watch of rimfire actions. You will enjoy it.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:53 AM
ERdept

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Why on such expensive little rifles, do people use cheap scopes?

Why not the Leupold competition or Night force Benchrest models?
Old 07-03-2013, 12:39 PM
ultramag44
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
Why on such expensive little rifles, do people use cheap scopes?

Why not the Leupold competition or Night force Benchrest models?
ERdept, Not sure what you mean by "Cheap scopes".

If, I say, if you refer to the above pic showing a Weaver scope, the Weaver 36X is the most winning scope in our club Benchrest shoots.

All else being equal, given 2 identical rifles, one w/ a proper functing Weaver 36X and one w/ a proper functing nightforce or Leupold, there is No practical difference.

If the shooter knows his or her business, Either or any of those scopes will put 'em in the X ring. They all break now & then. They all have lifetime warranties (Weaver says to the original owner w/ a receipt, but they don't enforce that policy much).

Don't get sucked into the "Arms Race". We have had guys come here w/ high-end scopes on custom rifles and 2 things happened: they got humbled and left their $$ in the winners pocket.

Learn to read the wind, get flags and a good rifle and scope.