Info on a 1717. - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-18-2020, 09:57 PM
zom55
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

KOD, do you mind sharing how you got that nice shine on the stock of that Annie? Gary.
Old 04-19-2020, 02:25 PM
kisssofdeath
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothtrigger View Post
kissofdeath

You absolutely stole that rife.
It looks fantastic with that glossy stock (nice job), and with the right ammo using a good front bag you'll tighten up those groups.
I have found in my 3 Anschutz .17's, and my Volquartsen with over 25 thousand rounds down the pipe that CCI TNT has been the round of choice.
As always, it's lot dependent.
Depending on your front rest, I may have some tips for you.

So here is my family's Anschutz 1717 story.

Just over 10 years ago after a 40 layoff from shooting I got the bug again.
I hit my local gun shop and saw this awesome looking rifle shooting a little spunky round that looked to me like a miniature center fire round.

After checking out the company who made it (Volquartsen) I ordered one and waited 3 months to get it.
Volquartsen Fusion in .17hmr.

The rifle shot amazing groups, and my wife deicied to join the fun with her having zero firearm experience.

She quickly decided she wanted her own rifle, but wanted something more traditional looking.
Being a German citizen, she discovered though her own research this company named Anschutz.

To make this story short, she purchased a Anschutz 1717 and immediately started to shoot smaller groups than I could with the Fusion. Not by much, and not all the time, but just enough to show it was a better rifle for target shooting.

So I had to pick one up to be competitive with her.
Hers has the wing safety, and mine has the thumb safety.

She shot this group on her first day shooting off her new "Target Shooters Rest", and the rest is documented history. The rifle 10 years later has only 650 rounds down the pipe.
This is the opening page on their web site. She's very proud of this.
https://www.targetshooting.com

So the 1717 was the rifle that really got me hooked into shooting, and ever since shooting has become a major part of my life.
My wife Anna will join me in the shooting sports in the next couple of years once she has retired.
I've been retired for 10 years.

This is my 1717 as originally purchased.

This is it today sporting an ANA installed Lilja barrel along with with pillar bedding.

Tap any of the photos for an expanded image.

Smooth
That is great to hear and nice story sharing your experience. I have a box of CCI TNT ammo that I will try next. Have you or anyone else reading this experienced a drop in accuracy at a certain round count before you determine the barrel needs cleaned? I know what I do now but looking for others approach to cleaning.
Old 04-19-2020, 02:41 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zom55 View Post
KOD, do you mind sharing how you got that nice shine on the stock of that Annie? Gary.
Hi Gary,

I used Liberon Ring Remover.

This product is amazing, worth every penny it cost. Once I got caught in the rain shooting my 1712 and the rain created water spots on the wood, photo below. I tried so many things but nothing worked. I called an online store that specializes in wood working equipment and they suggested Liberon. It does take some elbow grease to remove the dull finish or water spots but it does work. I don't have an after photo but just imagine the spots aren't there lol.

Here are a few more photos of the 1717 from yesterday.

Old 04-19-2020, 10:06 PM
zom55
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
KOD, thanks for the answer to my question. The finish on the stock looks really nice. Gives it a classy look. I will look on Amazon to see if they have it.
Old 04-20-2020, 12:29 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Dirty 1717

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisssofdeath View Post
That is great to hear and nice story sharing your experience. I have a box of CCI TNT ammo that I will try next. Have you or anyone else reading this experienced a drop in accuracy at a certain round count before you determine the barrel needs cleaned? I know what I do now but looking for others approach to cleaning.
I had (I think) the only right side safety 1717 Meistergrade grade in the us. It was the most accurate 17hmr I've ever had. It would shoot 3/8" at 100 yards if everything was right and I had a good batch of ammo. It started shooting good at about 25 rounds and started shooting bad at around 200. I have a CZ that is awfull good too. But it goes south at 25 rounds. I also have a great shooting early cooper that is somewhere between the other 2.
Old 04-20-2020, 04:37 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
kisssofdeath With 3 "S's".

My wife and I owe you a big fat thank you for turning us on to Liberon Ring Remover*.

This Danish "Rosewood"** table was purchased 30 years ago; and on its 1st Thanksgiving my sister inlaw placed a hot bowl on the table cloth instead of on a trivet.
That resulted in a nice round fogged circle the size of the bowl pictured, half on the table, and half on one of the three leaves.

After looking at your results, and reading up on it, I had my wife who was already out shopping pick a can up at our local "Rockler" store.

Unfortunately I was out doing my thing when she got home. By the time I returned, she had already worked on both the table and the leaf.
Therefor I have no before & after photo.

However I can say that it worked on this tabel.
We now have a perfect looking table after 30 years.

We'll still use a table cloth when we have guests over (along with our thermal cloth underneath), but the rest of the time we can now leave it uncovered.
That's so cool because the table looks way better than any table cloth.

This photo shows how it came out.
100% fixed.

So Thank you.......

Smooth

* This stuff is super expensive at $24.00 per 125ml (4.2oz's), or $731 a gallon. But so worth it to us.
** Danish "Rosewood" furniture can no longer be found new.

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 04-21-2020 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-20-2020, 06:45 PM
webfoot56

TPC Rating: 
100% (95)
Wow you really did good on the purchase of your rifle! I think I have between 15-1600 in mine as it is a meister grade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2020, 05:38 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
smoothtrigger,

That's a fine looking table for sure. Glad the Liberon worked out and glad I could help. And yes, that stuff is expensive but like I said, worth every penny it cost and I'm sure you would agree.

I found a set of gloss blue 1" rings that mounts directly to the dovetail. Has anyone had issues with those moving when shooting a 17 HMR? Does the clamps or rings mar the finish in any way? They may not be tall enough, what size Talley rings are you all using and what is your objective size?

webfoot56,

Thanks, when I saw the price on the gun I knew I had to have it. At that time I didn't know what I would have to give for it. Your 1717 is very nice. I believe that satin look may be how mine would have looked from the factory but it was so uneven I had to do something with it.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:26 PM
webfoot56

TPC Rating: 
100% (95)

KISSS---YOU HAVE THE STOCK OF YOUR RIFLE REALLY LOOKING GOOD!
Old 04-21-2020, 08:29 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talley Light Weight Alloy One Piece Rings will not mark your receiver. They come in 5 heights to cover any of your scopes objectives.
Here I have used them to mount a NF 12-42x 56mm scope (affectionately know as the Hubbell) to my 1727F.

I've used them in many different heights on all of my four of my Anschutz rifles over the last 10 years without any issues.
As seen in this photo.

However, I now have DIP Industries Rails mounted on all of them.
Again no issue with marring the finish, and the rail allows super fast scope changes.
You don't have to remove the scope from its rings, which facilitates moving any of your scopes from rifle to rifle in seconds.

This may allow you to vastly reduce the number of scopes in your stable.
Use 1/2 inch nut Tactical Rings on all of your scopes.
Then pick up Seekonk 65 inch pound torque wrench and use it to swap the scopes in 15 seconds.
The cost savings in the number of scope you'll need is substantial.
The Seekonk is on th left.

Smooth

Kisssofdeath
My wife is over the moon on repairing our table, and I'm not far behind her.

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 04-21-2020 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-27-2020, 08:15 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's great, I been married for 32 years (same woman too ) and I know if the wife ain't happy...nobody's happy.

On a side note that 1727 looks great. I looked at them for about 10 seconds and seen where they cost $3,500+ and stopped looking at them. I even checked my bank account to make sure I wasn't charged a viewing fee.