Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Nice aftermarket stock options for the XT-22TR tube fed?

16K views 58 replies 15 participants last post by  Drills 
#1 ·
I'm kicking around buying a XT-22TR. I'd like to get the model #70821 blued steel with composite stock. The reason is I'd like to ultimately end up with a blued bolt action tube fed 22lr in a nice wood stock. I'm trying to find some aftermarket stock options for this rifle and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot out there. I really like the Boyds stocks, but I'd prefer to get something like their platinum model, but instead all they have are the laminated models for that rifle.

Ideally I'd like a solid american hardwood with checking. I'd like to get this rifle setup as something to hunt with, but also be proud of. If anyone has a suggestion please let me know.

#2 ·
You might be able to get Boyd's to do you a custom stock. I think you'll have to have a trigger guard too. Don't the plastic stocked Marlins have a molded in the stock trigger guard? I have the XT-17v with the brown laminated stock and it's pretty nice.

#8 ·
The CZ's look nice, but I grew up with a Marlin 60 so I'm pretty excited about getting another Marlin. I also like that this has the smooth stock without a mag sticking out. I'm picking up my XT-22tr hopefully tomorrow night or the following so I'll try to get out with it soon and report back.

I've got the clear tubes and end caps from McMaster Carr so all I have to do is see what feels right and cut them.

#13 · (Edited)
First and foremost, I have absolutely nothing to do with the Ebay listing, nor do I intend on bidding on the item. I got a 781/783 stock from there (for only 30 bucks!) a couple of years ago for my 981TS, and I'm all set.

Search Ebay for "Marlin Bolt-Action Walnut Stock - Walnut Stock 983, 983T, 983S, 981T" and you should get two options ...the walnut stock and a laminate. The walnut looks really nice...I grabbed a screen shot...wish I needed this one.

If someone here decides to go for it, I hope it does the trick...I want to see pics.

Good luck,
Drills

Edit...look quick...looks like this one will end in less than 24 hours

#14 ·
Drills, first off you are the man for finding that stock. Secondly, I'm watching both those stocks and I'm bidding.

I picked up my new rifle tonight and everything seems to be in order with it. I like the stock that's on it for the light weight, but such a nice rifle needs a proper stock.

If I end up buying the stock I will certainly post pictures.

#17 ·
I'm kicking around buying a XT-22TR. I'd like to get the model #70821 blued steel with composite stock. The reason is I'd like to ultimately end up with a blued bolt action tube fed 22lr in a nice wood stock. I'm trying to find some aftermarket stock options for this rifle and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot out there. I really like the Boyds stocks, but I'd prefer to get something like their platinum model, but instead all they have are the laminated models for that rifle.

Ideally I'd like a solid american hardwood with checking. I'd like to get this rifle setup as something to hunt with, but also be proud of. If anyone has a suggestion please let me know.
Have you considered just starting with a nice chunk of walnut ?
Haven't got around to checkering it yet, but here is my hunting rifle, you'll never know what you can do until you try...

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388523

#22 ·
Teddy... looks like you might get another chance. The seller put up two more stocks just like the last two... walnut and a laminate. Same descriptions and pictures... might need to ask the seller f the pictures are the actual stocks... hmmm. Seems to have all positive feedback.

#23 ·
Once again, you have produced an outstanding option for me. I have kept looking on ebay, but this seller must have just relisted another set of stock. It stinks to have to overpay for something, but the old saying of buy once, cry once comes to mind. I'll be bidding, again.

#26 ·
Teddy, glad you got it. I had it on my watch list to see what it went for. Price is subjective to long term value & self satisfaction. I would have paid what you did if I'd needed it.

Just remember those stocks will never be made again. Your gun will look awesome in that stock.....you need to post pics when you get it finished. You will have a very special XT, not another one like it probably. Throw that el cheapo plastic one in the recycling bin !

Congrats !

JMK

#27 ·
Nice going Teddi..! Those fleur-de-lis walnut stocks look incredible...pics please when you get it. A little Dremel wood work, a new mounting bolt (had to trim and modify the bolt head on mine), and a trigger guard should really transform your XT. The DIP trigger guards seem to get a lot of good reviews.

The sticky at the top of the Bolt Action page should get you going.

Congrats... and good luck with your project,
Drills

#28 ·
I'm glad you don't think I overpaid for it. For what it is and how many are left I figureally it'll last a lifetime.

Definitely right on needing to get the trigger guard, but I also will need a couple sling studs as well. My rifle is blued so it'd be awesome if it all matched. Any suggestions on where to find that stuff and you'll be my hero's.

#29 · (Edited)
#30 ·
#32 ·
I've been home sick yesterday and today. The stock and DIP trigger guard arrived today. The s ty ock is absolUtley gorgeous and looks better in person that the pictures show. The DIP trigger guard fit was perfect, and I mean spot on perfect. I popped the synthetic stock off my rifle and it looks like the amount of wood I'll need to remove to make it fit the new stock will be very minimal.

I am very happy w in th what I ended up with and I am genuinely grateful for the help you guys gave me. When this is all put together this will be the gun I've been wanting to give my son for him to learn and grow with.

I'll post pictures as I get good ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.