Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Winchester and Browning 52 Re-issue Database

95K views 321 replies 119 participants last post by  Notch8 
#1 ·
Hello All!

I was looking back at all of the threads having to do with questions we have all posed regarding the manufacture, serial number sequence, finish and barrel variations and different models of the 52 re-issue rifles. I though that once and for all we could begin to enter the known data that we have by starting a poll that answers each of these five questions about the re-issue rifles that we all own. It may serve to give us a better understanding of the time frame for the various serial number types as well as answering a few other questions. The five questions I would like to ask for those of us who own re-issue 52 rifles are:

1. Is your rifle a Winchester or Browning marked rifle?
2. What is your rifle's serial number?
3. Does your rifle have a glossy or satin finished stock?
4. Which variants do you have? (ie: pencil barrel, heavy barrel, Fajen stock, Utah Centennial, other ?)
5. When did you purchase your rifle and was the rifle new or used?

Please submit your data if you own one or more 52 Re-issue rifles so that we can begin putting this database together.

Many Thanks!

Kix

See less See more
#40 ·
Compiling Data

Thanks H.M. Pope!

It's a lot of seemingly confusing information, I'm glad so many have stepped forward with concrete data, Thanks to EVERYONE!!! It was my hope that we could finally put together all of the important information in one thread where we could organize it and put it into an easy to read table.

3Dub,

The product codes from the boxes is superb information! I'll look at my boxes and enter this data for my rifles when I get home from work!

Thanks again to everyone!:bthumb::bthumb::bthumb:

Kix

#42 ·
1. Is your rifle a Winchester or Browning marked rifle?/ Winchester
2. What is your rifle's serial number?/ WBS0989
3. Does your rifle have a glossy or satin finished stock?/ Satin
4. Which variants do you have? (ie: pencil barrel, heavy barrel, Fajen stock, Utah Centennial, other ?)/ B Stock
5. When did you purchase your rifle and was the rifle new or used?/ Used but NIB from a family member.

Date of manufacture, unknown but kind of curious

#44 · (Edited)
Box end codes

OK 3Dub,

Here are the box end codes from my three pencil barreled rifles. (My HB has no box)

#1. Browning SN 00489NZ496 Box end code No. 49062 23614 24084

#2. Winchester SN 10NP800479 Box end code No. 0 48702 15222

#3. Winchester SN 10NR802267 Box end code No. 1506222

This #3 rifle is the one with the super nice wood. I see no specific notation on the box that would signify upgrade wood unless the code 6222 means something different than the 5222 on my other Winchester marked rifle.

This thread is getting VERY interesting! Thanks for all the great information and photos folks!!

Kix

#48 ·
Winchester 52B

Here is mine....Winchester 52B....serial WBSO406....barrel tension screw....taper barrel... satin finish....came with two 5 shot clips with the large W stamp..got it in Sept of this year from original owner who got it new a long time ago In British Columbia,Canada

#50 ·
Winchster and Browning database

Well folks, it seems as though I am not the first one to try to put together this information on RFC. I ran across this thread from some time ago:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47480&highlight=Zanders

Lots of great information in this thread including an abundance of serial numbers and other useful data concerning these rifles.

Cool!

Kix

#55 ·
I will get some rings and glass on it and see what I can do. I think yours will shoot better with an A\O scope. I bought a Sightron 36X that I use just to temporarily put on new rifles to see how they shoot and I take it off once I have a pretty good idea how they shoot. I then figure out what scope will be put on each gun on a more permanent basis and I have time to see what deals are available. This eliminates me having to track down a scope at the last minute to use to do preliminary testing.

#57 ·
Yeah; that's not too far away from me; but I did not know about it until 3Dub mentioned it to me in a pm. He said you were interested in it and since I already had a different one located, I did not even look at it. I paid $800.00 for mine. I hope you did better.

G
#58 ·
There is a re-issue sporter with muzzle diameter of .875 (I asked the owner to clarify) with grooved receiver and a gloss finish on Gb right now. Is this one of the "zander" HB rifles? I am interested in it, but wish it was not so beat up. Appreciate your thoughts.

G
#61 ·
That is the one.

I am interested in it as a hunting rifle, and would either refinish or restock it at some point. In my opinion that is the most beautiful and useful 52 action available, having both a grooved receiver and the 'round top" with smalerl dovetail. Also, since it is a re-issue it doesn't hurt my feelings quite as bad to use it as a project base.

Thanks for the confirmation of value, I was thinking no more than 700$, but then again I loose far more GB auctions than I win :rolleyes:

#60 ·
1) Browning (standard version)
S/N 00730NZ496
Satin Finished Stock
Pencil Barrel

2) Browning (standard version), NIB
S/N 00823NZ496
Satin Finished Stock
Pencil Barrel
Stock is more pecan color but the standard red stain was wiped over the checkering after cut so the checkered area has a red tone while the rest is brown. I asked about this on RFC and another poster said he had one the same way.

#62 ·
I just picked up a Browning this morning at a gun show. It is new, unfired, in the box with all paperwork, and the original factory shipping carton. It has the standard pencil barrel, satin finish, serial # 03839NZ496. It's an absolutely beautiful rifle........ I'm a happy camper!:)

#66 · (Edited)
Second Winchester 52 repro

The second Winchester repro is Serial number BS15XX, standard barrel. Both have the front screw in the middle diamond of the fore end. It has a fake rosewood tip. The other has the fake ebony tip. The trigger on the first rifle has had the insurance pin pulled, and breaks clean about 1.25 lbs.

#67 ·
Update to post # 38; code from NVaVette's box for the Zanders HB added:
Browning SN: 00306_NZ_496 Code: 49062 23614 24084
PB1 SN: BS3882 Code: 15222 48702 15222
PB2 SN: WBS0989 Code: 15222 48702 15222
Utah SN: 100_UT_0068 Code: 15223 48702 15223
PB3 SN: 10_NR8_02723 Code: 1506222
Fajen: SN: 10_NP8_00169 Code: 15224 525-031203
PB4 SN: 10_NP8_00472 Code: TBD
HB SN: 10_NP8_0XXXX Code: 525052202