Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Repair tip

811 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  ferg 
#1 · (Edited)
My rear action screw hole on my M60/70 ,was stripped,initially drilled deeper and retapped ,8x32 by the way,however this was less desirable,than having it right,I drilled a bigger hole.190 then inserted a tube of brake line with epoxy ,brake line was3/16" I believe but measured just a bit less than the drill hole rough it up ,press it in then drill and tap 8x32,works great t he front hole is next.
Took me awhile to think this out,first idea is,use aluminum brazing rod to fill the hole,but this will wait till I experiment on some thing that won't hurt to melt away by accident! But if workable, the best way to my thinking,the other way is to fill the hole with metal reinforced epoxy putty or glue,then retap,,I was going this route when I realized,or was of the opinion,that you have to make a bigger hole anyway,just filling the same hole with epoxy whatever,leaves no epoxy after drilling and tapping ,leaving you ,with at best, with weak or no threads.Beings there is very little room there for drilling bigger holes,I thought up an insert,with a hole already started and centered,just drill a little bigger after the epoxy sets ,tap called for 9/64 drill I used a No.25 drill ,I think ,which is smal but the material is soft so it worked.quite well too.I used steel filled epoxy putty.
I hope this helps somebody .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.