Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:04 PM
Sarge45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Don't poo-poo the TD model

I've been reading a lot of negative stuff about the takedown version of the 10/22. I just wanted to say I'm really impressed with mine. I'm attaching some photo's showing what a plain TD with properly torqued bolts and removing the barrel band will do when you give it a chance.

This is the Ruger TD fitted with a cheap, cheezy CVLife 4x32 scope and see-through rings. Nothing more, nothing special. I'm using CCI standard velocity 40 grain ammo in the 10 round rotary mag. Each photo was 5 rounds at 25 yards benched. The playing card took me 8 and 9 rounds to hit it but by golly, the Ruger did it.

I don't have a bad thing to say about the Ruger Takedown.

Last edited by Sarge45; 03-09-2018 at 09:11 PM. Reason: ETA: I did remove the barrel band to free up harmonics.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:33 PM
Bullpup-one

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Very nice
Old 03-09-2018, 09:54 PM
bluzman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2018, 12:41 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine shoots good too!

And I haven’t even taken off my barrel band. And all I have is a red dot. Every time I shoot it all I get is big grins and 1 inch groups. Just hold that red dot on the same spot and plink away.mine is stainless has a bx Trigger,I bought it used and I use the bx 25 magazines, and what ever ammo I pull out of the Stash, from the buy Any you see days.it lives in my car.

In fact if I could only have one 22 rifle this would be it due to its universal applications. While it’s not best at every thing you do with a 22 rifle,it is good at everything I do with a 22 rifle.

Now I’m wondering about the barrel band ,

Last edited by Toomany22s; 03-10-2018 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Spellink
Old 03-10-2018, 05:56 AM
Nerostarr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have 2 of the TD rifles. The one is one of my most accurate rifles, it just simply amazes me with it's accuracy. The other one I have problems with the rifle shooting straight, always hits to the left. I haven't given up on it yet and I'll get it figured out eventually. So I'm not Poo Pooing on them, I actually really like them.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:27 AM
jam_ppp

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have (1), it was actually my first 10/22 and first rifle.

Originally bought it blissfully ignorant of RFC.
It was just to pull out, use iron sights and plink at paper and targets, and for the Boyscouts to shoot when we take them to the range.

But then i found RFC - Kidd Trigger Job Kit, Mapgpul Backpacker, UTG Bugbuster later it's still a fun thing to pull out and plink with - and it's accurate enough for it's purpose.
But actually thinking i'll sell it, and put the $ into a 'target' build

I really didn't need a "take down" and if I were starting again, would have started with the carbine, and if I knew then what I know now, would have started with an LVT.

jam
Old 02-21-2019, 02:47 PM
BillMelater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerostarr View Post
I have 2 of the TD rifles. The one is one of my most accurate rifles, it just simply amazes me with it's accuracy. The other one I have problems with the rifle shooting straight, always hits to the left. I haven't given up on it yet and I'll get it figured out eventually. So I'm not Poo Pooing on them, I actually really like them.
I also have 2 TDs, one shoots 1.5" groups at 75 yds and the other is a 7" spread at 75 yds. Both rifles are set up exactly the same and by switching barrels i can make the good rifle shoot bad and the bad rifle shoot good so it has to be the barrel. Tomorrow i will order a Fedderson bull barrel and go from there.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:00 PM
kilyung

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have two 10/22 and a Charger Takedown. They all serve my purposes brilliantly. For more precision shooting I pull out my CZ and Marlin. It’s all about getting the right tool for each job.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:40 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought one when they first came out. After a couple of months it started having some serious accuracy issues. Turned out the barrel adjuster had pulled out of the receiver. Ruger had me send it in. After no contact from them for over a month I called and they claimed they never received it. I called bs and gave them the tracking number. Two more months later they discovered they entered the serial number wrong. I was then told that they couldn't repair it and that they'd replace it. After a couple more weeks I recieved my new rifle, filled out my 4473 and took it home. First time I brought it to the range, the brand new rifle had the same issue as the rifle I was without for over 3 months. Sent this one back. After I recieved it I traded it to a guy for an AK. I'm much happier now.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:22 PM
BRAAP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No POO POO here, I have 2 stainless take downs and both are shooting same groups with CCI SV as Sarges shared, very respectable groups for out of the box gun, only mods to both is Magpul backpacker stocks, one has cheapo 2-7 pistol scope, other has tech sight peep.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:25 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I have 3 TD's and I am very happy with all of them. None of the 3 have much other than the receiver that is OEM but before I swapped everything out they shot perfectly fine for their intended purpose.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:59 PM
ElrodCod
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Mine shoots as accurately as my standard carbine. I couldn't be happier with it.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:47 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Do they return to the same sight setting after the barrel is removed and reattached? I know they will with the sights on the barrel but what about a receiver mounted scope or peep?
Old 03-17-2018, 08:59 PM
jam_ppp

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Do they return to the same sight setting after the barrel is removed and reattached? I know they will with the sights on the barrel but what about a receiver mounted scope or peep?
Thatís been my experience with mine. But two caveats. 1) I have the barrel tension ring very tight. 2). Iíve only used it out to 25 yds with a UTG Bugbuster scope.

jam
Old 03-18-2018, 09:48 PM
ElrodCod
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I keep mine a couple of clicks tighter than what the owner's manual says & don't have any issues with POI changes. It shoots where I aim it.