Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:15 AM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Parker-Hale Cleaning Rods Questions

I have three questions. I have three Parker-Hale Cleaning Rods all with straight tips (jaeger's?). Two rods are jointed and one is a solid rod. All three have wooden ball bearing handles. Not sure what the rods are made of as they appear to be coated with something (plastic?).

1.) Are these frequently encountered?

2.) What are they worth?

3.) Where to get different tips?
Old 12-29-2009, 09:51 AM
BrianJ
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
rods

The one piece PH rods used to be the only way to go with the serious competitive shooters, that is until they went out of business. Not sure where to get tips anymore. Freeland used to carry a full line of tips until they went out of business. They use a metric thread. I preferred the tip that wasn't straight. I might guess that most shooting supply houses may have tips and, adapters were available.
PH also made a three piece unit complete with parts for the military.

bjm

Last edited by BrianJ; 12-29-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:24 PM
tim slater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To my knowledge PH rods are still being made, but are now sold under the Bisley label by John Rothery. Almost every smallbore shooter in the UK will have a PH rod somewhere.

Spare jags and brushes can be found from most UK gunsmiths or target shooting suppliers, try www.edinkillie.co.uk, or www.bedfordtargetsupplies.co.uk.

From memory I paid 12.50 for my PH rod in 2006, then about $20.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Dave 101

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
USMC69 .

If you go onto the UK ebay , type in the search Parker Hale you will find what you are looking for .
ATB Dave
Old 12-29-2009, 04:18 PM
BrianJ
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Ph

Perhaps when Freeland went out of business so did importing PH rods here. However, I had the idea the importation stopped prior to that, at least here.

bjm
Old 12-30-2009, 06:02 PM
38_Cal
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The thread used on original Parker Hale rods are not metric...my understanding is that they trace their origin back to original British military thread specs from the early to mid 1800's. Not a "normal" Imperial thread, not a Whitworth, definitely not metric! This is from information given to Brownells when they started carrying the PH rods around 20 years ago.

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA
Old 12-31-2009, 01:04 PM
cw-op

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
help

david

maybe you can help me. i removed the bar on the side of the 12/15 where the sight went and put a davidson scope mount on it. i now have 2 screwholes and cant find a plug for them.

i have been getting some stuff from forester but they dont have them. any ideas?

thanks

bob
Old 12-31-2009, 01:48 PM
Prairiewalker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc69 View Post
I have three questions. I have three Parker-Hale Cleaning Rods all with straight tips (jaeger's?). Two rods are jointed and one is a solid rod. All three have wooden ball bearing handles. Not sure what the rods are made of as they appear to be coated with something (plastic?).

1.) Are these frequently encountered?

2.) What are they worth?

3.) Where to get different tips?
The major problems with Parker-Hale cleaning rods are:
  1. They refuse to wear out. Mine has endured 40 years of use and is still going strong.
  2. The plastic coating on the really old rods (1950s & possibly 60s) is some type (maybe celluloid) that dissolves in some acetone type solvents. The later rods do not have this problem.
  3. They use a weird thread that none of the american brushes and jags fit.
The easy solution to the problem of buying tips is that Dewey makes an adapter so that standard tips can be used. It lists for $4.99 canadian in the Wholesale Sports catalog or $3.25 US from Dewey..

Last edited by Prairiewalker; 12-31-2009 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Fixed typos, added Dewey price
Old 12-31-2009, 02:28 PM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiewalker View Post
The easy solution to the problem of buying tips is that Dewey makes an adapter so that standard tips can be used. It lists for $4.99 canadian in the Wholesale Sports catalog or $3.25 US from Dewey..
Which Dewwy adapter. Does it has a part number?
Old 12-31-2009, 02:49 PM
Prairiewalker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc69 View Post
Which Dewwy adapter. Does it has a part number?
The part number is SMPH. See their catalog page at http://www.deweyrods.com/cgi-bin/ccp...E:JAGS_ADPTERS
Old 01-02-2010, 06:20 AM
Sandy22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw-op View Post
maybe you can help me. i removed the bar on the side of the 12/15 where the sight went and put a davidson scope mount on it. i now have 2 screwholes and cant find a plug for them.
The factory sight mounting on the 12/15 is on the back of the receiver. A "bar on the side" would be non-factory and could be any thread.

Or the rifle isn't a 12/15...........
Old 01-02-2010, 08:13 AM
breakeyp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 38_Cal View Post
The thread used on original Parker Hale rods are not metric...my understanding is that they trace their origin back to original British military thread specs from the early to mid 1800's. Not a "normal" Imperial thread, not a Whitworth, definitely not metric! This is from information given to Brownells when they started carrying the PH rods around 20 years ago.

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA
The British Military rifle factory at Enfield developed their own thread form as there was no other options at the time. Unfortunately they also used a different length gauge for dimensions under six inches in length. The Enfield Inch is slightly shorter than the normal British/US inch. About 1912, Pratt and Whitney was making the tooling for Australia to manufacture No.1 rifles. During the final phases, parts would not interchange when they found out that their gauges were made to the US/British normal inch and not the Enfield Inch. P&W had to rework all their inspection gauges at their expense. Enfield's drawings did not mention the Enfield Inch. All this is in a great book titles, "The Enfiled Inch."
Old 01-03-2010, 12:58 PM
38_Cal
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
breakeyp, thanks for the information. It's nice to get both confirmation of what I had been told as well as further education!

cw-op, you'll have to identify what thread size you've got on the mounting screws before any advice can be given. <VBG> Sandy22 has it right.

Happy New Year, gang!

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA