Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:07 AM
Ithacabuff
US Navy Veteran Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Question Question about Agawam Arms

single shot .22 lever action that looks like an Ithaca 49 or Stevens 89. Does anyone have a comprehensive knowledge on this obscure gun and short-lived company that made them? The company was located I think in Agawam, Mass. and existed in the late 1960s I believe. The product they made was rough and inferior apparently. Also, does anyone out there own one of these .22s or anything else that may have been made by this company?
Old 10-04-2006, 06:42 AM
markpixs

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Found this on a web search ---The agawam arms co. existed from 1968-1971. the rifle was the only gun they made. it is a single shot with a dummy tube under the barrel. should have some collector value, but it sold off the shelf for around 20 bucks.

http://www.mdwfp.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18202
Old 10-04-2006, 01:31 PM
nevadany
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
a guy i work with has one that looks new. interesting little gun. a shop locally has basically the same thing but different brand, not sure which brand though, and they want around $200 for it, in very, very used shape. i can't imagine they are worth much, but who really knows?

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2010, 04:09 PM
jhollo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Mother picked up a gutted Agawam rifle. Is there anybody who sells parts for one? Every gun smith I talk to doesnt want to take the time to look or try to repair it.

Last edited by jhollo; 10-07-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:09 AM
GevarmGunNut

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
AGAWAM ARMS "Model Of 68," .22rf Single-Shot.

Information from various online gun forums indicates that Agawam Arms Co. was located in Agawam, Massachusetts. They were open for business from 1968 to 1971, producing a single firearm - the "Model 68." As can be seen in the photo, the hammer spur was broken and I was able to obtain a NEW one online immediatel from eParts at a VERY reasonable price.

Approximately 15,000 of these rifles were produced. The rifle was described by a former employee as "similar in appearance to a cross between a Model 94 Winchester and a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun."

The action was similar to a Martini falling block. It was a single-shot .22 caliber, with a dummy tubular magazine under the barrel. It is considered as the forerunner of the Ithaca Model 49.

The targeted market for this rifle was department store sales. Retail price was a whopping $19.95.

The Gun Control Act of 1968 took it's toll on this rifle. Department stores stopped carrying guns for a while back in the early 1970's, in an effort to be what they thought was politically correct. Sudden loss of contracts for this gun lead to it's demise.

Next to take a kick at the cat with this design was the ITHACA MODEL 49.

Next, and so far the final contender, SAVAGE ARMS CO.'s STEVENS MODEL 89. It too is no longer in production.

The Ithaca sold for $23.95 while the Savage listed at $85.00. The latter is twice the gun the others are, IMHO...

Best regards ~ ~ ~ GGN

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:51 AM
azzhandler

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have 1 of the rifles, came to me in a part of a trade, I have had it about 5 yrs without shooting it, maybe I should try it 1 day, the quality is well...... you can tell it wasnt a high dollar gun but it fit right in with my other 8 lever action 22s , if anyone is interested in it for their collection, I would let this 1 go, I have been moving away from lever actions and filling in the spaces with high quality target rifles
Old 10-26-2010, 05:46 PM
breakeyp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Walter's "Rifles of the World" have the Ithaca M49 in production from 1961 to 1978. I bought mine in 1961. It had the poor design set screw front sight that held the fake mag tube and forend in place. Over time it loosened and you could handle windage by rotating the forestock. Ithaca later correct that problem.

According to the 2011 "Gun Digest" article, 'A Rober Hillberg Cornucopia' written by the man who designed the M49 for Ithaca, Ithaca was having money problems and sold the tooling to Savage. He also mentions that Agwam copied the design as it was not patented.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:27 PM
GevarmGunNut

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
breakeyp, thank you for bringing Hillberg's Cornucopia article to my attention. I was so interested in how my own article on Mossberg Brownies in that issue came out that I completely missed his. I was interested to learn from his article that I have three guns of his design in my single-shot collection so far.

You are indeed correct on the ITHACA MODEL 49 production dates: 1961-1978.

By the way, Paul, did you happen to read Tom Gaylord's lengthy article "The Study of Wham-O's Guns" in the Ninth Annual Shotgun News Treasury? Very in-depth study of them which really settles the WAMO/Wham-O question. Fortunately, I ended up with his "Tommy Gun" illustrated in the article. Now I just need to find a WAMO "Hamilton."

Best regards ~ ~ ~ GGN
Old 10-27-2010, 07:19 AM
breakeyp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
my hamilton

I enjoyed the Whamo article. I did not realize the connection with the Kruger and other models as being precourses to the Whamo models.

I have often wondered if they made a Burr model to go with the Hamilton to give both sides of the duel. Pictured (if this comes out right) above is the Hamilton I obtained a few years ago.