Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:22 PM
MT Knifemaker
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
any chance this is really a trainer?

Gunbroker listing that is local to me. My guess is it's been proofed for civilian sale overseas. If it's a trainer...What do you value it at?

Savage model 3C and is marked with a crown and BNP under it, on both the barrel, action and bolt . My guess is a training rifle for bristish around WWII, but that is my guess. barrel and action have bluing loss, pits , rust etc. stock has some marks on it. Note I do not know what they did to the side, maybe some kind of mount.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:27 PM
timberbeast
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
I'm not one to say, but it surely is a nice rifle, and I will be curious to see what other RFC members have to say.

The markings could just be import or proof marks - I don't think they indicate miitary use.

Nice rifle, regardless!
Old 05-31-2010, 05:32 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi .

That rifle of yours has definately spent some time in the UK . BNP is Birmingham Nitro Proof , which means it has been proofed here . Cant say I have heard of them being used here as a training or military rifle though .

I wonder what happened to the stock to have that area around the action slimmed down , perhaps someone just wanted a different grip ,small hands perhaps .

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2010, 05:46 PM
fr3db3ar
US Air Force Veteran GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
is that 8 small screw holes.....like they had something mounted in that space?
Old 05-31-2010, 06:22 PM
MK111

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 101 View Post
Hi .

That rifle of yours has definately spent some time in the UK . BNP is Birmingham Nitro Proof , which means it has been proofed here . Cant say I have heard of them being used here as a training or military rifle though .

Dave
Dave I have seen one exactly like this one that had "PH 1947" or something close to 1947 stamped on top of the barrel.
Would that Parker-Hale stamp mean it was rebuilt for the British Military?

I have been watching this auction for a week or so but I don't see any clue it was Military. The lister does say it
is his guess is was Trainer.

Last edited by MK111; 05-31-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:49 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you have a look at this site www.rifleman.org.uk you will find info on military trainers and rifles that were lendlease from the US in WWII , theres no mention of a 3C . By 1947 there would have been plenty of Enfields available for conversion , the SMLE WWI had already been converted for .22 training purposes .
The PH stamp may well be Parker Hale they did this after carrying out major work on a rifle , possibly it has been sleeved tell tale sign of the brass ring at the muzzle
I would go with your instinct and say it hasnt had any military connection , many manufacturers used the word trainer but not with a military use .
Maybe a GI brought it over here with him and sold it before returning stateside .
Thats the mystery of old rifles you never know where they have been .

Dave
Old 05-31-2010, 06:55 PM
mgb8345
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (57)
Send a message via Yahoo to mgb8345
MT knifemaker - I don't pretend to know that much about trainers but I don't think the rifle shown in your picture is a military trainer. What I think your looking at on this rifle is the same type of markings that I have on my British rifles. Typical 22 caliber markings are shown in this picture of my BSA Supersport 5. The holes in the the flat area of the stock are probably for attaching an ammunition holder since the rifle is a single shot. Just my humble opinion. Bob
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-31-2010, 07:10 PM
MT Knifemaker
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Thanks for the info guys. I am new to trainers and quickly learning trainer means vastly different things to folks.

I thought tose were proof marks. Thanls for confirming (nice rifle btw)

ahhh...an amunition holder makes sense!!

Thanks!!

-Pete
Old 05-31-2010, 08:51 PM
n64atlas

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I don't have my referance material, but the proof markas appear to be post war. When I get a chance, I'll verify this. England has a Proof Law that has changed several times from 1900 till now. Each era was a different set of marks.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:09 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If it did have a Parker Hale Quickloader fitted the holes would be 3 5/8" apart .
The only QL which was screwed to the stock is the one at the top of the pic .

Dave

Last edited by Dave 101; 06-01-2010 at 02:48 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:20 PM
breakeyp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Britain bought a number of different .22rifles from the trade (commercial dealers) at the start of WWII. They were used for homeguard training etc. The easiest way to tell if you have one is they often have broad arrow markings stamped into the stock wood, a few have Crown EN inspection marks and some will have two sets of commerical proofs. The original prewar commercial proof and the post war proof when it was surplused out of service.

If it was reworked after WWII, it will have M47/48 stamped on the barrel just forward of the receiver indicating rework by Parker Hale to mount a receiver sight (two screw holes on left rear of receiver) done in 1948.

Without handling I can't comment on your gun but I do have Savage Bolt and autoloading rifles that were British use.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:32 AM
2mene22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
From what I under stand prior to our entry into the war a lot of rifle clubs loaned/ gave rifles to England to use in training/defense use- The club I belong to did loan a rifle and got it back post war.