Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:19 PM
7mmmag1
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Restoring Noble Lever Action

Hey guys. My dad recently reaquired his .22 from his boyhood. Unfortunatly, it was stored barrel down in my grandpas garage for about 30+years and the house burned down, but the garage didnt. I cleaned it (and whala it ejects spent cases now-something it didnt do when my dad was a kid). The stock is a little smoke damaged but appears to be pretty decent walnut and has no major defects to it. I was thinking I would re finish the stock and buttplate for him for fathers day. Is the tru-oil stock refinishing kit good or would it be better to just grab a can of min wax at lowes?

Also, since it was stored barrel down the end of the barrel has some heavy surface rust. I scrubbed it good with solvent and a tooth brush, but it needs re bluing. Would it be better to get a barrel from Numrich or have a gunsmith hot dip it? Also, are the numrich barrels any good, and are the pre-blued?

Sorry for the long post.
Thanks,
Daniel
Old 05-07-2010, 08:29 AM
breakeyp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't like Tru-oil, it does make a fine durable finish, but it is a one time deal. You can't refinish a truoiled stock. The oil sets up in the grain and seals it such that you can't put a new finish on the stock. If you scratch a tru oil stock, it is the devil to repair. This is been my experience but others may disagree.

I prefer to use a 1/2 by volume mixture of boiled linseed oil and turpentine. Strip the stock, lightly sand or steel wool it. Hand rub in the mixture and let it set for a few hours. Rub off excess and when dry--steel wool lightly. Wipe the stock down to remove steel wool debris and repeat the appication/process.

This is one of the old piano finisher's process. They did it once a day for a week, once a week for a month. Multiple applications impart a reddish tone to Walnut. If you scratch the stock, just apply the mixture and it will disappear.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:24 AM
22AGS

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'll just give you a rarely-heard tip I learned on mine years ago, but not on the wood. The case-hardened lever can be refreshed by spraying it with clear lacquer. This brings out the colors very nicely and protects them somewhat. Even if they have faded this method makes for better eye appeal.

Last edited by 22AGS; 05-07-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2010, 02:31 PM
Squires Bingham

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Is that a pic of the rifle in question? if so, I like it!
Old 05-07-2010, 03:29 PM
22AGS

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squires Bingham View Post
Is that a pic of the rifle in question? if so, I like it!
Yes, this is the rifle. It also has a pump action counterpart. Not very common in any condition. This is a mint version of the pump, licensed out to H&R as the Model 422.

Last edited by 22AGS; 05-07-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Squires Bingham

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I wish I could find these at a gun show, I would jump on em in a flash!
Old 05-07-2010, 06:01 PM
LDThornton

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I saw a 422 a few weeks back at the gunsmiths here where I live. It looked odd with the pump forearm. The lever action counterpart looks like a winner though.