Pics, My Home Built Receiver Ongoing Project - Page 6 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:50 PM
jGEE

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Ok, thanks guys.. i was a little nervous there. I would not be doing this if i thought it was the least bit illegal.

I started on the firt page of the ATF web site and clicked on thru till i got to the q&a where it said it's legal.. i didn't want to be on some "spoofed site"! thanks again joe
Old 10-31-2009, 11:54 PM
rogerxd45

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
you could make a ar/15 pistol grip mount for it screw/weld the into the rear of the receiver and pit a pistol barrel on it. and that is all you would have to do.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:07 AM
rogerxd45

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans471 View Post
Sorry, I think what you are doing is great but you really better read up on the laws concerning this. Publishing all this with pictures and all could be setting yourself up for a bad fall if some zellot wants to make a name for himself or get a promotion.

Read up here, and there is a link to get the paperwork you need to file. Also, I think there is a $200 application fee. Don't mess with these BATF guys. If they bust you it will cost you thousands and in the end you may never own a firearm again.

Welcome to America and gun control!

http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f53201.pdf

Now other sources say you can build it for yourself. This is a quote from a letter from a BATF agent:

"Also, for your information, a nonlicensee may manufacture a semiautomatic rifle for his or her own personal use. As long as the firearm remains in the custody of the person who manufactured it, the firearm need not be marked with a serial number or name and location of the manufacturer. However, if the firearm is transferred to another party at some point in the future, the firearm must be marked in accordance with the provisions set forth in 27 CFR 478.92 (formerly 178.92)."

So, who knows what these people will do from one day to the next. I would want to know FOR SURE before I went too far. These people have a bad way of coming back later and redefining the rules after the fact.

Good luck with this, it sure is interesting.
that form is for NFA items only, if you read the entire form you would know that

ok read that entire form you posted they define what a firearm is
its on the 3rd page which says definitions on the top about 3 paragraphs down and it will say c. FIREARM

read that and you will see that they define a firearm as a (paraphrased) a short barreled rifle, short barreled shotgun, a silencer , machine gun, AOW, destructive device

ive used that form to make a short barreled rifle ar15. it is whats referred to as a form 1 since i was making a firearm as defined in the form
Old 11-02-2009, 01:33 PM
JSlack
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Congrats jGEE!!!!! that is great! I would make this first one your pistol, and your next will be your rifle!!!! I need to come in on a weekend and get mine done now!!!
Old 11-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Markbo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Long thread, TONS of great info and I have only one thing to say:
$600 for a mill?!?!?!?

Some people just have all the luck!
Old 11-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Wolfen
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
jGEE

Ya know, with that lathe you have there, you should buy barrel blanks and also do your own barrels. That's what I did years back when I made Unlimited Silhouette pistols. You have a chance - opportunity - to do what few have been able to do - Make your on Semi-automatic Rifle.

Wolfen
Old 11-04-2009, 11:35 PM
jGEE

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
another update:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfen View Post
jGEE

Ya know, with that lathe you have there, you should buy barrel blanks and also do your own barrels. That's what I did years back when I made Unlimited Silhouette pistols. You have a chance - opportunity - to do what few have been able to do - Make your on Semi-automatic Rifle.

Wolfen
Mr Wolfen that's exactly what i have been doing, working on a few custom rimfire bbls for myself. I have some rimfire blanks and some bbls. i just cut the chambers off and redone them. You can make just about any bbl fit any action/receiver as long it is big around enough to cut threads and leave a shoulder.

Update about #5:

I was out at the "skunk wurkz" today... thinking i should maybe make a pistol first for my 10/22 "homebuilt" receiver. I'm learning my mill and about anything i do is fun as long as i'm makin 'chips, lol!!

I've had this bbl for years i got off e-bay when you could still buy bbls there. Never figured i would use it but fits this project pretty good!~

This "stock" is a start for now -not sure exactly what to do. I'm thinking make another like this one or just use this and cut/thin it down for set of custom wooden grips -maybe set of "broomhandle" or even as et of 'pirate grips!!

I think the project has potential, what kind i'm not sure, lol. Anyway it's fun 'whittlin on aluminum! joe

Old 11-06-2009, 01:24 PM
Markbo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Heh heh heh... this is great. All the right tools, imagination, a little artistry and no fear of messing something up and just look at what can happen!
Old 11-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Evil_Lurker
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It would be pretty easy to make a simple adapter to mount an AR grip to your existing action. They just use a tongue and groove with one tapped hole, and cost around $6 for the plastic military grip.

I'm just sayin.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:56 PM
LtRiker

TPC Rating: 
92% (10)
Send a message via AIM to LtRiker
looks great, glad you took the lead here and did what YOU felt would be fun.

you are 100% LEGAL, nothing to worry about even with all the great photos you posted.

now, make some more to test.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:59 AM
chrisp929

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
AWESOME JOB !

One suggestion, in the machinist world, the only cutting fluid that is ever used when machining aluminum is kerosene. For smoother cuts, i suggest you stop using alcohol and try kerosene.

Good luck. Can't waite to see it in its finished state.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:35 AM
RockinHRacin
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
jGEE - GREAT JOB!! Do people call you McGyver?

As I read through this thread and got to page five when the discussion started on whether it is a rifle or pistol, I had the thought that you ALREADY created a pistol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jGEE View Post

IT'S A LIVE!!!! IT'S A LIVE!!

ok, i put 3 rounds in the magazine, tightened down the barrel and stepped out in the back yard.. i live in the country -it's about 1:30am, lol i just had to try it out.. i sorta half way slid the bolt back and let her snap forward.. i pulled the trigger and just a click of the hammer falling. **** it ain't gonna work. i try and eject the round it don't eject.. just hangs in there. i think what happened i didn't fully pull the bolt back far enough the first time. i clear the round and snap 'er back right this time. then i sorta half hardly pull the trigger "bam" she fired i jumped about 6 inches, lol what a surprise!! i came back in the house and said dang i wonder if she was ready to fire again, outside i go and pull the trigger "bam".. i just couldn't believe it
You held the gun/receiver in your hands without a shoulder stock and fired the weapon. Sounds like a pistol to me...

Now I see you've decided to keep it as a pistol. Excellent!

Chris
Old 12-02-2009, 02:51 AM
DTDK

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
fantastic
Old 12-02-2009, 09:53 PM
Dave1899
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
jGEE, this is an awesome thread!!! You're definitely addicted to this hobby...LOL Keep having fun!!!

David
Old 12-04-2009, 04:52 PM
N21911S

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Aluminum lubricant/coolant

You might want to try WD40 when machining aluminum. Works very well and is not as dangerous as alcohol or kerosene.

Where can I get a copy of the 10/22 prints?

And, nice job!

Tks, Bill