597 mags only fit for 8 or 9 rounds - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-28-2014, 04:15 PM
jerrypoller
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Mar 2006
Posts: 
108
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
597 mags only fit for 8 or 9 rounds



Log in to see fewer ads
I just got two new factory (Rem 597 with the circle 10) magazines and they will only take 8 and 9 rounds respectively. I've pushed so hard I put a small dent from the rim in the last round to fit. I've taken both apart and there doesn't seem to be anything preventing the follower from bottoming out. Any suggestions? Could/should I shorten the spring or shave a bit off the bottom of the follower? Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-28-2014, 05:20 PM
avsb
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

Join Date: 
Feb 2012
Location: 
North Texas
Posts: 
182
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've had success taking the mag apart and spinnignthe spring 180 degrees.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-28-2014, 06:36 PM
bigdogbuc
US Marines Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

Join Date: 
Jan 2013
Location: 
Western Washington
Posts: 
30
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just posted a new thread on my fix that I just did today; Then I saw your post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 03-28-2014, 06:47 PM
jerrypoller
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Mar 2006
Posts: 
108
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogbuc View Post
I just posted a new thread on my fix that I just did today; Then I saw your post!
Just read your post and had the same thought as I just took my mags apart again. I noticed that the springs were easily compressed far enough to allow the follower to lower to the point of accepting 10 rounds UNLESS the height of the followers was to great. My solution was going to be to slowly sand down the base of each follower until it "floored out" just a smidge lower. We had the same solution, just different tools to make it happen. Thanks for the confirmation of the fix.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-28-2014, 11:04 PM
bigdogbuc
US Marines Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

Join Date: 
Jan 2013
Location: 
Western Washington
Posts: 
30
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrypoller View Post
Just read your post and had the same thought as I just took my mags apart again. I noticed that the springs were easily compressed far enough to allow the follower to lower to the point of accepting 10 rounds UNLESS the height of the followers was to great. My solution was going to be to slowly sand down the base of each follower until it "floored out" just a smidge lower. We had the same solution, just different tools to make it happen. Thanks for the confirmation of the fix.
No problem! I started out doing the same thing and got tired of messing around, that's when the Dremel came out!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-29-2014, 09:21 AM
jerrypoller
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Mar 2006
Posts: 
108
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogbuc View Post
No problem! I started out doing the same thing and got tired of messing around, that's when the Dremel came out!
So, first I measured the height of the follower in the mag I got with the rifle - it was able to take 10 rounds right from the beginning. It came in at .533". Then I started sanding down one of the followers that wouldn't take 10 rounds - I had to get it down to .495" to get the last round to fit. The other new mag needed less sanding. So, I'm thinking it's not the follower specs (all three started out at .533") that need quality control, but the base construction and how the follower bottoms out in each one. Anyway, the field problem seems to be solved with little effort.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-29-2014, 10:11 AM
bigdogbuc
US Marines Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

Join Date: 
Jan 2013
Location: 
Western Washington
Posts: 
30
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrypoller View Post
So, first I measured the height of the follower in the mag I got with the rifle - it was able to take 10 rounds right from the beginning. It came in at .533". Then I started sanding down one of the followers that wouldn't take 10 rounds - I had to get it down to .495" to get the last round to fit. The other new mag needed less sanding. So, I'm thinking it's not the follower specs (all three started out at .533") that need quality control, but the base construction and how the follower bottoms out in each one. Anyway, the field problem seems to be solved with little effort.
That's good info to have. Did you happen to measure the body of the mag itself? I do think I have to agree that it's likely the floorplate as you described. Nice job.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-29-2014, 10:40 AM
jerrypoller
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Mar 2006
Posts: 
108
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogbuc View Post
That's good info to have. Did you happen to measure the body of the mag itself? I do think I have to agree that it's likely the floorplate as you described. Nice job.
A good question - i hadn't measured the mag itself. So, I just checked all three and from the top of the mag to the [outside] base of the installed floor plate came out at .2264" for each. So, if the outside dimensions are all the same, the difference has to be the inside clearance for the follower to bottom out, no?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-29-2014, 12:16 PM
bigdogbuc
US Marines Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

Join Date: 
Jan 2013
Location: 
Western Washington
Posts: 
30
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrypoller View Post
A good question - i hadn't measured the mag itself. So, I just checked all three and from the top of the mag to the [outside] base of the installed floor plate came out at .2264" for each. So, if the outside dimensions are all the same, the difference has to be the inside clearance for the follower to bottom out, no?
That would definitely be my guess.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-03-2014, 01:54 PM
alum572's Avatar
alum572
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jul 2010
Location: 
MN
Posts: 
4,618
TPC Rating: 
100% (45)
"I just need one shot hunting usually. When I shoot targets I only load five, I've had nine in but didn't try ten very hard as I don't like force feeding, no matter what Rem says. Its the way I roll, or not in this case. Don't hold it against me." (Al the Infidel in a previous, similar thread)

I'm with Al but I understand that some of you want a full 10 rounds available for shooting sports. I just bought two new circle 10 mags on sale yesterday at Wally World for $13 each. Eight rounds go in easily, the last two need a small screwdriver's help to push the follower down so I can insert 9 and 10. I'm thinking of puffing a bit of dry lube in the mag to see if it's a matter of too much friction in a new mag that's causing the literal hangups. Meanwhile, they're just sitting there with 10 rounds apiece . . . getting used to it or something. Like Homer's butt print in the sofa.

Last edited by alum572; 04-03-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-18-2014, 03:21 PM
jerrypoller
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Mar 2006
Posts: 
108
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So, finally got to try 'em out

and all three worked perfectly. I ran 40 rounds through each magazine and only had one round fail to elevate properly in the mag. It was about round 4 or 5 of 10 and it just kinda' stuck in the middle of the magazine. When I looked, the bullet was a little deformed and got hung up on the side of the magazine as it was being elevated. I determined it not to be a magazine issue, and it was only one of 120 rounds. Clearly, to me anyway, the followers need attention when the magazines won't load 10 rounds.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x