Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:45 PM
bluenoser

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
deciding on BTVSS

Hey all new guy here from Nova Scotia, currently living in Saskatchewan Canada but planning on moving back to the east coast soon.

I like to use my income tax return each year, much to my wife's displeasure, for a new gun. I've always been a Savage fan and really want to try out an accutrigger. I'm a lefty and 1 of my kids is too so I'm looking to add a left handed bolt to the cabinet this year. I'm leaning towards either a MKii or a 93r17 in the BTVLSS. Have a line on 1 of each, the 17 is new and about $100 more than the 22, which looks new. I just can't decide if I'll be happier with the lower cost of running a 22 or the straighter shooting 17hmr.

Mostly it's just range fun (out to 100yds max), might be a little bit of rabbit hunting if we get back east, maybe some gopher shooting at a local acreage while here. I've never shot a 17hmr but from what I've read these rifles can expect some amazing results out of the box and it's still a lot cheaper than centerfire. But there's something about taking a good 22 and trying to improve it (and me) to get the kind of results I want (not to mention the cost of a day at the range with a 22).

Which would you choose? Is the cost difference of the 17hmr worth it? would I be able to get satisfactory results with the mkii?
Old 02-11-2019, 07:35 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
I am biased towards the .22 - much more choice of ammunition, everything from $0.04 plinking ammo to $0.25 match ammo. But forget my biases: what do you shoot and at what distances? If the answer to distance is: routinely at 100 yards, that is work that the .17 will do much more easily than the slower, under-powered .22. Plinking with the kids inside 100 yards, I think the economics favor the older round.

Look at RFC member jaia's "50 at 200" thread to get a sense of the quality spread of the two types of ammo. Lots of tasty data hiding in there among the posts.

Me? If I had to choose one cartridge to do everything between 50 yards and 200 it would be the .222 Remington. You can load your own and control the quality of your ammunition, which is impossible with either caliber in your original post. If I knew I was limited to 30 yards, I'd even look at an air rifle. Much cheaper to shoot and a great training tool for kids.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:17 PM
bluenoser

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks, was actually just scrolling through that thread, alot of good info in there. The more I think about it the more I think the economics of the 22 makes more sense for me. The cost of buying, shooting and availability/options in ammo will make the 22 a better choice. And if the kids seem to enjoy it I can look into trading their pellet guns up for a couple rascals or something and use the same ammo (buy in bulk).

Mostly just looking for a fun plinking gun that I can tweak and play with. I doubt I'll be taking any shots above 50-100 yards so the 22 should do.

I've thought about a .222 build as an idea but until I get into reloading I'm thinking the 22 will do. Of course I've been wanting to get into it to cut down on the 308 costs so that is something I should really start looking into.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2019, 08:28 PM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I own both 22mag and 22LR. The 22 mag is not a 17, but; I think they are for the same use. I rarely shoot the magnum at the club for fun or practice. it is strictly a hunting gun. The 22LR is only ever shot at the club and I never hunt with one. That is except the occasional 22LR pistol I carry, sometimes.

Since you plan to mostly shoot at a club, the 22LR would be my choice. You should get very good results with modestly priced CCI std velocity. Or some premium ammo may really tighten up the groups if the gun is capable.

Now, since no gun decision is ever clear or obvious. ... The magnums are far and away easier to shoot well at 100 yards. The 22LR is a son-of-a-gun to deal with at 100 yards. On the internet, everything is easy. Go into the real world and see how that works for you. With a caveat, if you honestly require really good 100 yard performance, get the 17.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:12 PM
Repete

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the 93R17 BTVLSS. I just today removed the Thumb hole stock and installed a Boyd's Rimfire Hunter. I could never get a good picture in the scope with the thumb hole. With the rimfire hunter it is a night and day difference. When I bring up the gun it is amazing. There is no creeping and crawling on the stock to get to get a good view in the scope. Off to the range in the morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rimfire Hunter.jpg (487.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 02-12-2019, 06:59 AM
JeJa
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the BTVSS. Very accurate for bench rest at 25 and 50 yds. It consistently shoots 1" groups at 100 yds.

CCI SV is the go to ammo.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:17 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mysavages shoot very good too.

But you might want to consider a cz 452 , before all lgs disappear.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:22 PM
bluenoser

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think the .22 will be the go to this year, maybe I can find a way to sneak a .17 past the wife later.

The costs and the challenge of making the .22 a tack driver sounds like it could be fun. Just need to get the tax return no before the gun sells.

Last edited by bluenoser; 02-12-2019 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:54 AM
22/45 Fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repete View Post
I have the 93R17 BTVLSS. I just today removed the Thumb hole stock and installed a Boyd's Rimfire Hunter. I could never get a good picture in the scope with the thumb hole. With the rimfire hunter it is a night and day difference. When I bring up the gun it is amazing. There is no creeping and crawling on the stock to get to get a good view in the scope. Off to the range in the morning.
I could have written this exact posting!

I have a MkII BTVLSS in .22 lr and I also found the thumbhole stock awkward to use and I also replace it with a Boyd's Rimfire Hunter. That transformed the gun. I transferred the DIP heavy bottom metal from the Thumbhole to the Rimfire Hunter stock with minimal inletting work but I did need to purchase a pair of DIP's longer action screws.

I was able to sell the factory thumbhole stock on a local Craigslist type site and that minimized my total cost.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:13 AM
hacksaw

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Iím going to try and keep short what could very quickly become a long post .

I bought a Savage 17HMR BTVLSS about 6 weeks ago and then found this forum a few days later. I then discovered the CZ section of the forum and that led to the purchase of a CZ452 in 22LR left hand while they are still available. The Savage hasnít left the gun safe since I bought the CZ. Not that I donít like the 17 nor the Savage, but I can drive tacks with the CZ shooting Aguila Super Extra Standard Velocity LRNís for 4.2 cents per round versus 28 cents per round for Hornady VMax 17 HMR.

I very very quickly became a CZ fan, then learned that they are discontinuing all LH rifles. I would get one now, as you will still be able to get the Savage later if you decide to go that route.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:59 PM
bluenoser

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would consider a CZ if I could get one for a decent price but any that I see around are an easy $200-300 more than the savages I'm looking at, in either caliber. Will definitely keep an eye out for one if I can but for now I think the savage is maxing out my budget.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:50 PM
22/45 Fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksaw View Post
I very very quickly became a CZ fan, then learned that they are discontinuing all LH rifles. I would get one now, as you will still be able to get the Savage later if you decide to go that route.
I believe CZ discontinued their left-handed rimfires many years ago and if you find one it's going to have to be NOS or used.

Their web site shows no left-handed rimfires and only one left handed centerfire.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:32 PM
hacksaw

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22/45 Fan View Post
I believe CZ discontinued their left-handed rimfires many years ago and if you find one it's going to have to be NOS or used.

Their web site shows no left-handed rimfires and only one left handed centerfire.
That is mostly true. They continued to make the 452 in LH, but discontinued it in 2018. Right now there are still a few scattered around different distributors NIB, but they are becoming much more scarce. I got lucky and my distributor had ONE pop up in their inventory and I bought it the day it arrived.

I emailed CZ to see if they would be building the new 457 in a LH version, and they replied they would not be building any rifles in LH. That is why I suggested buying the CZ452 now, as they will only be available on the used market very soon.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:10 PM
bluenoser

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I'll definitely keep my eye out for one if the right priced one comes along. The .22 I was planning on grabbing sold tonight. Probably be a week or 2 before I can seriously begin looking (when the funds become available) so I guess it will depend on what I can find in my price range when the time comes.

Those of you with the 17, do you ever get "bored" with it shooting under 100 yards? Maybe I've just over scoured the web but seems like it's such a laser cartridge that inside 100 yards it could get a little boring?

Last edited by bluenoser; 02-16-2019 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:23 PM
hacksaw

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoser View Post
Well I'll definitely keep my eye out for one if the right priced one comes along. The .22 I was planning on grabbing sold tonight. Probably be a week or 2 before I can seriously begin looking (when the funds become available) so I guess it will depend on what I can find in my price range when the time comes.

Those of you with the 17, do you ever get "bored" with it shooting under 100 yards? Maybe I've just over scoured the web but seems like it's suck a laser cartridge that inside 100 yards it could get a little boring?
Good luck sir. I hope you find what suits you best. Iíve read the same thing as you with people saying they get bored shooting the 17, but Iíve never gotten bored with a rifle that hits where Iím aiming . Then again, none of them hit where I want them to as many times as I want them to...