Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:58 PM
jfraz3
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Leaving take down bag in vehicle

Anybody keep their take down strapped inside your vehicle 24/7? Wondering what effects the heat and cold could have on it and the ammo etc? Gets pretty hot here in the midwest and cold too. Be nice to toss the bag in the truck and just leave it there for SHTF duty 24/7 365...thoughts?
Old 01-20-2019, 02:36 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Lube on the bullets will melt if it gets really hot in there. Could get messy.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:54 PM
Eric300
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
I always look at it like this; If I wouldn't leave a pet or a kid in a vehicle for any extended period of time due to extreme weather conditions, I wouldn't do it with any of my firearms or bows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2019, 04:35 PM
jfraz3

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Figured the lube on the ammo was a concern, was more concerned about the rifle really. All of my weapons are well cared for. But the purpose of this little rifle was as a bug out bag, hence the thoughts on keeping it at the ready in my vehicle

I guess itíll just hang near the door in hopes that if it ever comes down to SHTF, Iíll be at home and not at work or otherwise unable to get to it
Old 01-20-2019, 05:20 PM
Eric300
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
That's why you use your pistol to fight your way back to your rifle!
Old 01-20-2019, 06:27 PM
jam_ppp
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
What about using a copper jacketed ammo to keep in the car? Those have lube too?
Old 01-20-2019, 10:40 PM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfraz3 View Post
Anybody keep their take down strapped inside your vehicle 24/7? Wondering what effects the heat and cold could have on it and the ammo etc? Gets pretty hot here in the midwest and cold too. Be nice to toss the bag in the truck and just leave it there for SHTF duty 24/7 365...thoughts?
Yes I do. Stainless takedown. Ammo in a can. No problems. Loose ammo in a ziplock. Itís a tool, I keep it clean. If the cars Is ok to leave outside,the gun is too. Will it wear out faster than the one that lives in the house, maybe , but I bought it to use as a get me home gun. And like Quigly, Iíd rather have a rifle in my hands, than a pistol.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:37 AM
simpletom
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Yes I do. Stainless takedown. Ammo in a can. No problems. Loose ammo in a ziplock. Itís a tool, I keep it clean. If the cars Is ok to leave outside,the gun is too. Will it wear out faster than the one that lives in the house, maybe , but I bought it to use as a get me home gun. And like Quigly, Iíd rather have a rifle in my hands, than a pistol.
Stainless and copper jacketed are good advice. Keep the ammo out of direct sunlight. There's been a lot of ammo bouncing around MRAPs and helicopters in extreme cold and heat for the last 18 years. Rotate your go bag ammo and keep your rifle lubed.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:55 PM
rockyriver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If it’s a stainless rifle and you keep a little oil on it and in a carry bag. You will not have any trouble out of it.
The ammo if rotated out every year is not a problem either if kept from vibrating around as best you can.
I have had many a box of CCI 22 ammo in my glove box and middle console that never gave any trouble after spending many a months in my vehicle.
As far as the lube on the bullets melting that would not be a concern of mine if it were for SHTF and not precision target shooting.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:36 PM
jfraz3

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I’ve also purchased a Shockwave shotgun for home protection/shtf scenarios. It rests in close proximity to the front door of the house. It also fits quite nicely in the takedown bag now that I have converted the stock to a magpul backpacker. Which fits nicely in the sadllebags of the Harley in the garage...

For some strange reason in the last year or so, all of my purchases of weaponry have revolved around the potential to have to fend for myself and my family. Have always had a revolver placed in a handy spot. Always have some kind of handgun in my vehicles. Dont know why I plugged into this “vein” recently, but theres also a bag with some survival gear and important paperwork that resides on a handy hook ready to go in case of a fire or the need to remove myself and family from the house in short order. Once I went down that rabbit hole...it just got deeper

Heck I even own and maintain an old International Scout Diesel that will and DOES run without any sort of electrical charging system if need be. It can be pull started if no battery power is available and since its mechanically injected, it requres no current to run. Need to figure out some sort of solar powered charger to keep the battery charged in case the belt come off the alternator, or in case it cant start under its own power, it can be rolled down a hill. It’ll be the LAST vehicle that I’d let go of for sure

Last edited by jfraz3; 01-21-2019 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:20 PM
mac66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've kept a 22 rifle (varies between a 10/22 or Marlin 60 or 795) in my truck year round for the last 20 years. Live in the upper midwest. Never had a problem with the guns or ammo. I generally shoot up the 22 ammo I carry with it once or twice a year.

Oh, I just remembered that I have an Ar7 that I've carried in my travel trailer for 30+ years. It goes 5 or 10 years between outings, never had an issue with the ammo stored with it.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:34 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You are not the only one foreseeing problems. Times have gotten rather strange and the rage out there is unbelievable. Glad I dont live in a major city. People are looking for trouble and it is usually not hard to find. Avoiding trouble is getting to be a full time job. Bugging out would be my last resort but a get home bag is a good idea. Mine has a Glock 23 and a Keltec Sub2K with lots of happy sticks. 22lr is a good bug out/survival caliber but for get home I want something with more authority. I have a couple of survival 22lrs I have been working on. Almost any 22lr would be a good survival gun but I think I finally have the Takedown working to my satisfaction. The Backpacker stock made a big difference. The Charger with a folding brace is another good choice. Ruger needs to make a take down bolt action.
Savage just brought out a take down 22lr rifle.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:37 AM
xit
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to xit Send a message via Yahoo to xit
i live in ohio for the job. i am gone a lot to a hotter climate, working. we both NEVER dont carry on our person.
when i am home i, i ALWAYS HAVE a pistol and a carbine locked in a truck vault in the rear of my Durango. never take it out, except to clean or change gear make up. when i am gone it is still in there for my wife to drive, in bad weather. i am a TEXAN by birth,(TK GOD). married to a new yorker.
don' even ask. she is competant with all weapon she carries. so she is fine when i am gone. 30/45 days at a stretch.

s&w m&p 9mm 4 mags
ar with 6 mags
a lot of other gear.
i have put everything she needs in there
xtra burner cell
all batteries.
6 m.r.e.'s her choice's
cs of water.
sleeping bag
etc

NOTHING has ever suffered in cold weather. i am at shot s, now. she is home and its 6 degree's going down tonite
obviously ,no great need to go out.

remember to clean when its convenient slip-2000 is the best VEEERY thin layer. i also use the purple 30 wt forgot name.in cold weather u dont want a lot of lube. left 1 of my 22/45 lite's in truck for 3 winter months. used gunscrubber on it for lube and it shot fine with a can''
the colder, the drier it needs to be. in lube is needed use disiel fuel for lube. the HOTTER the climate the more i DRENCH IT.
cheers
xit

Last edited by xit; 01-25-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:12 PM
bluzman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Ruger needs to make a take down bolt action.
An interesting thought. I own a bolt action Ruger American Rimfire (compact version, .22WMR) that uses 9 round cylindrical mags similar to those used in my 10/22 TD. Seems like transforming the RAR into a TD configuration wouldn't be too difficult, particularly since Ruger did it for my PC Carbine.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:15 PM
archangel2003A

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfraz3 View Post
Heck I even own and maintain an old International Scout Diesel that will and DOES run without any sort of electrical charging system if need be. It can be pull started if no battery power is available and since its mechanically injected, it requires no current to run. Need to figure out some sort of solar powered charger to keep the battery charged in case the belt come off the alternator, or in case it cant start under its own power, it can be rolled down a hill. It’ll be the LAST vehicle that I’d let go of for sure
Pull started with what? (assuming the whole EMP thing killed all electrical systems and every other vehicle/battery is trashed.
Do you always park at the top of a hill?
Would kind of suck to be in need of 20 guys to push it up that hill!

I have seen, or rather been startled by the sound of diesel trucks that started with air powered starters.
I once screwed with a co worker who let the fuel run low on an international box truck, as I pulled the kill T handle over and over while he drove down the freeway telling him he needed to swerve back and forth to slosh fuel into the inlet or the truck would die because he let it get too low! He drove the rest of the way to the fuel station swerving back and forth! LOL!

Last edited by archangel2003A; 01-30-2019 at 01:43 PM.