Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-14-2021, 09:00 PM
SAM22673

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stuck Empty Shell

My son has cz 527 American in 223 remington with a stuck shell in it. I tried using a 3/16" wood dowel rod to knock it out and failed. It's now sitting with a few drops off gun oil in it to see if that helps any. I think I will need to upgrade to either a brass rod or aluminum. which one would you recommend and is there anything else I should try.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:10 PM
craftsmanjack
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stuck brass

Try a rod made of straight grain oak wood before metal. It should knock it out. Lowe’s usually have oak rods.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:10 PM
I6turbo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Either a Brass or Aluminum will be fine. You will not damage gun barrel steel with either of those soft metals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2021, 09:45 PM
bilrus61

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Send a message via AIM to bilrus61
just a thought

Have you tried heating the barrel? Not sure if that would make it grab the casing harder or less. Take it out of the stock and hold a hair dryer on the barrel and see if the expansion makes it where you can tap it out. I imagine the barrel was hot and now that it's cool it will just grip it harder.....uhh.....I think
Old 06-14-2021, 09:46 PM
SAM22673

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
my lowes did not have the 3/16 in oak only 1/8. I just looked and the lowes only has a 1/8" brass rod no aluminum but the menards does have 3/16 is brass. Nothing in aluminum locally.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:58 AM
fewfeathers
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Compressed air?
Old 06-15-2021, 08:18 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
You said 'stuck shell', do you mean the empty cartridge case or a bullet up-bore a ways?
Note that wood absorbs shock unlike a metal rod. For metal brass is preferred.
With wood, if it isnt straight grain, it may shear off and jam into the bore making more of a stuck mess!
With a steel rod you can wrap it with black plastic elec tape to protect the rifling.
If you just have a stuck case it should pop out with a good rap on the drive rod. I hold the muzzle with the lower 3 fingers with thumb and forefinger over the muzzle so there can be no muzzle hit of the hammer once the case and rod drop.
With a stuck bullet it gets more involved.....
Old 06-15-2021, 08:31 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I second metal and not wood for the reasons stated. Even a stainless rod of the correct length carefully inserted will be safe for removing a stuck case. Go to the junk yard and get a solid antennae and cut off the ends. You need to make sure it's not too big for the bore but other than that drop it down the muzzle and carefully give it a wack. Case should unstick right quick. If the head shears off then you have to get a stuck case extractor but not likely. Is this a steel case or brass? Steel does this much more often than brass. You can take one of your old aluminum rods and use it as a sacrificial lamb if you can't find another suitable rod.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:42 AM
PABear

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
FIRST

IS THIS A FIRED CASE???

You should not be trying to remove a loaded round from the muzzle.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Assuming you KNOW (for sure) it is a spent shell. If your first attempt with a wooden rod failed, then it is stuck hard. I'd go with compressed air. I use a tappered fauscet washer on the muzzle and tightly hold my compressor nozzle on the muzzle...be careful as the case will usually FLY out fast and can bunce and injure someone.

I'm sure a gunsmith would remove it for about $15. while you wait.

But you also need to determine WHY it stuck????

Could be a rough chamber, an excessive powder load, or the wrong cartridge. I've remove shells where people have fired 243 shells in 308 rifles! they deform (form-fire).

In any case a good gunsmith might help.
Old 06-15-2021, 12:00 PM
SAM22673

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lets be clear. The round has been fired and there is no stuck bullet in the barrel. The dowel goes all the way to the back end of the case. It is a steel round and not brass. This also is not the first time steel rounds have been shot in this gun. I will try the compressed air when I get home tonight. Interestingly enough the round is sticking about 1/4" out of the chamber when it got stuck. I don't know if it was like that when he gave it to me or if I moved it that far with the wood rod.
Old 06-15-2021, 01:01 PM
rockster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM22673 View Post
Lets be clear. The round has been fired and there is no stuck bullet in the barrel. The dowel goes all the way to the back end of the case. It is a steel round and not brass. This also is not the first time steel rounds have been shot in this gun. I will try the compressed air when I get home tonight. Interestingly enough the round is sticking about 1/4" out of the chamber when it got stuck. I don't know if it was like that when he gave it to me or if I moved it that far with the wood rod.
Steel case gang represent!

I've only had this occur once with an 8mm Mauser round in an old bolt gun, and it was chalked up to be a dirty chamber that the expanded steel case grabbed onto. If the case is slightly out of the rear of the chamber, I'm guessing you had made some headway. I used a brass rod and drove my case out, and I'm guessing you'll have to do the same.

I also used some CLP down the muzzle, but when the case came out so did the CLP that the case was blocking. Just check and make sure while you're knocking it out that if you feel the case moving, double-check to make sure the case head is not separating. After the case is freed, CLP and brush the hell out of the chamber area. I used a brush on a drill and went to town, and the amount of buildup I removed was a bit shocking, even for someone who cleans after every range trip (corrosive primers, am I right?). After that, everything was operating smooth, no case extraction issues, no matter what it was fed.

Best of luck!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2021, 03:15 PM
PABear

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok, steel cases are generally bad news. Steel rusts, sure!

So steel cases, especially iron curtain countries, coat them with a varnish to avoid rust. Unfortunately, when the chamber heats up and the cartridge is fired, the varnish melts. BINGO, the case becomes varnish glued into the chamber. This even happenes in auto guns, like an AK, that should eject fast. Bolt guns shot from a bench often have the spent case inside the chamber until target are checked; enough time for the varnish to harden.

I'd bet that is your problem.

Sometime oil/clp/solvent soaking the chamber (down the barrel ) works. If you take the stock off, some lacquer thinner will work faster. This also strips oil off your rifle, so oil it afterwards.

The compressor trick, might not work; if it is a 223, as that has a small case head. which means low ejection force, even at 100 PSIA. Steel rod, wrapped as someone suggested, might be needed. This is not uncommon with 7.62x39 steel cases.

When you get it out, scrub the chamber well, as someone suggested. Residual varnish will cause more sticking. You may have had a varnish build up when this one stuck.

good luck

Last edited by PABear; 06-15-2021 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-15-2021, 04:34 PM
OldCZFan
US Navy Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
I would probably shoot some Kroil down the barrel and give it some time before I tried to pound it out.

I have a chamber cleaning device which I may have gotten from Midway USA to give rifles that see steel cased ammo a better cleaning.
Old 06-15-2021, 05:59 PM
1522steelshooter
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You can order brass rod from McMaster Carr. Normally only takes two or three days but I haven't ordered from them since covid started.
Old 06-15-2021, 06:11 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (274)
Well, what about a .22 cleaning rod -- long enough to reach the back of the case and still be able to whack the end of it with a mallet. I bet it will remove the case, especially if you put some kind of penetrating oil down the barrel to soak into the chamber. If you damage the rod, so be it -- you got a functioning rifle back.

Doug