Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-29-2021, 07:31 AM
dodj
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mod 2 bolt issue

I have BRNO Mod 2 with '76' stamped on the receiver. At least I think it is a Mod 2. On top of the barrel about 7" from the receiver it says 'BRNO Mod' but where the number would have been the previous owner had a dovetail cut into the barrel.
The problem I'm having is the bolt always kind of bound up a bit or 'stuttered' when closing the bolt when closing with the bolt handle. Over time I have just got in the habit of pushing the bolt forward with my thumb on the rear centre of the bolt instead of the handle.
Is there a way to fix this?
Old 05-29-2021, 08:14 AM
I6turbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodj View Post
I have BRNO Mod 2 with '76' stamped on the receiver. At least I think it is a Mod 2. On top of the barrel about 7" from the receiver it says 'BRNO Mod' but where the number would have been the previous owner had a dovetail cut into the barrel.
The problem I'm having is the bolt always kind of bound up a bit or 'stuttered' when closing the bolt when closing with the bolt handle. Over time I have just got in the habit of pushing the bolt forward with my thumb on the rear centre of the bolt instead of the handle.
Is there a way to fix this?
I have/have had a bunch of CZs and BRNOs. A couple of them did this kind of thing until I smoothed up the action by sanding down the sharp edges inside the receiver where the bolt slides back and forth. Most likely, you'll need to find where the bolt is binding up and work on those edges. One thing I did on a couple of them was to remove the trigger-related parts so that the receiver is bare, make a sandpaper "flapper wheel" by taking a wooden dowel, cutting a slot down the middle on one end, and putting some strips of sandpaper in the slot to create the make-shift flapper wheel, then running it up and down the receiver bore several times with a high-speed drill (need to go both directions with it, clockwise and counter-clockwise). Then of course clean out all of the grit and debris that the process created. That REALLY smoothed up the bolt on those guns, to the point that it will glide back and forth when you tilt the rifle a bout 35 degrees or so, and there is no binding at all when chambering a round.
Old 05-29-2021, 05:23 PM
Gizmo60

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As 16Turbo stated, lots of firearms suffer with similar problems.

There are always some sharp and rough/uneven edges (even on new firearms) and it can take some time to properly bed in. Like anything mechanical, time and continuous use smooths things out.

Never file or remove material from the action or bolt and lugs/cams. With superfine emery paper, its these rough edges "burrs" your removing.

Some lube/grease on the locking lugs/cams could/should make a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2021, 08:38 PM
dodj

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks
I will see if a little de-burring/polishing will help.