Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-27-2021, 03:00 PM
22lrJohn
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rail for Nomad recommendations

Any recommendations on fitting a 1967-era Nomad with a rail and red dot? my eyes thank you in advance...
Old 05-27-2021, 06:03 PM
losrobles
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
A member here, Deaconblue, had a batch made by a machinist friend a few years back but I think they're all gone. Haven't see any recent mention of current/future availability. Others have made one-off versions but there's no commercial operation making them that I'm aware of.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Challenger-RMR3.jpg (434.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 05-27-2021, 06:36 PM
22lrJohn
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by losrobles View Post
A member here, Deaconblue, had a batch made by a machinist friend a few years back but I think they're all gone. Haven't see any recent mention of current/future availability. Others have made one-off versions but there's no commercial operation making them that I'm aware of.
Thanks for the response! I read that older post. Figured someone might have more recent info.

The Deaconblue one does look cool!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2021, 12:13 PM
farscott
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Hate to think it, but the best and most economic answer might be to sell the Nomad and get a Buck Mark or Ruger Mark IV with an OEM rail and a red dot with the Nomad sale proceeds.
Old 05-29-2021, 02:07 PM
22lrJohn
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farscott View Post
Hate to think it, but the best and most economic answer might be to sell the Nomad and get a Buck Mark or Ruger Mark IV with an OEM rail and a red dot with the Nomad sale proceeds.
I had assumed that would be the final answer. Though for me that would be like throwing out the baby and drinking the bathwater!
Old 05-29-2021, 02:22 PM
farscott

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22lrJohn View Post
I had assumed that would be the final answer. Though for me that would be like throwing out the baby and drinking the bathwater!
I get it; I really do. The good news is another barrel assembly can be procured and a rail mounted to it. But that will be costly. I purchased a NIW 5.875" (125mm) International barrel with rear sight from Numrich, and the final cost was just under $300.
Old 05-29-2021, 05:42 PM
22lrJohn
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farscott View Post
I get it; I really do. The good news is another barrel assembly can be procured and a rail mounted to it. But that will be costly. I purchased a NIW 5.875" (125mm) International barrel with rear sight from Numrich, and the final cost was just under $300.
My steel frame Nomad has been with me since the 1970s and shoots well. I can't part with it, the 4 OEM magazines and spare plastic grip.

I sent a PM to Deaconblue on the off chance he has a spare rail (then bought a lottery ticket - haha)

Your idea of getting a second barrel makes the most sense. I will wait until prices come back down then ask my gunsmith to fit a rail.

Thank you for the advice.
Old 05-30-2021, 03:30 PM
I6turbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22lrJohn View Post
I agree. I'd have no interest in a solution that involved shooting a Buck Mark or Ruger instead of one of the Belgium Brownings.

If one wants a rail, I'd buy a barrel and have a rail added by a competent machinist. Here's a short rail on a Challenger barrel that I have.

I'm not sure what a Challenger barrel would cost these days, but I bought two 4.5" and two 6.75" in 2019 and 2020 for $100 each, one of them the above with the rail already mounted (which would be a rare find).

Last edited by I6turbo; 05-30-2021 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:45 AM
OLEHUNTER456
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
nomad

i drilled and tapped mine for a single small weaver mount and put a laser sight on it. i love it . tried a red dot on it and could never find the dot without a lot of waveing around.i can sure find the laser dot and it will really show shaking or poor trigger control.