Joined the Model 4 club today. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-30-2021, 03:04 PM
284wahoo
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Joined the Model 4 club today.

After years of watching from the peanut gallery, I could wait no longer. Won a GB auction last week on an excellent condition 1962 year, blonde model 4. Included a diopter rear and globe front irons, two sets of Warne scope rings, and a cheapo scope.
Drove 7 hours to pick it up ftf in the NC mts today. I have 3 days to do the inspection, and will begin that thoroughly when I get back home. The good pics were good representations, so no surprises are expected. In the mean time, I’m wondering if there’s anything I should watch out for when removing the action from the stock. Is the process essentially the same as the model 1, or CZ 452?
I ask because of the bbl tuner. Will something try to leap away or come precariously apart when lifting out the action? Should I follow a different process?

I’m very impressed with this thing so far. I know I paid a premium, but given the high (original finish) condition, and extra parts, I think I didn’t get raked over the coals too bad.

Will post up pics later. Thanks for any advice on first disassembly. Hard to find much on the model 4 here.

Last edited by 284wahoo; 04-30-2021 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-30-2021, 04:38 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
It's just a light spring, of course if that rifle was currently sold it would come with a full page warning, in 4 languages, warning of the possibility of injury or death, and of course a cancer warning for the state of California.
Old 04-30-2021, 06:40 PM
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Big congrats. You are going to love how accurate they are. Definitely my most accurate rifles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2021, 06:42 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by motovita View Post
It's just a light spring, of course if that rifle was currently sold it would come with a full page warning, in 4 languages, warning of the possibility of injury or death, and of course a cancer warning for the state of California.
You ain't wrong....
Old 04-30-2021, 07:34 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
My bet is that it was worth the wait.
Old 04-30-2021, 09:27 PM
I6turbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
284 Wahoo, I don't think there are any surprises for you to watch for when you take it apart. Most of it is just like a CZ 452.

I was watching that one out of curiosity. It's the latest proof year I've ever happened to see in the Model 4. I didn't actually know they made them that late. I'll bet you are going to like it if you like shooting from a bench-type setup. FWIW, I used a factory 452 spring on my trigger and cut it a bit, surfaced the end as flat as I could, and then used the nut to adjust the trigger pull as light as I could get it and still have the gun pass the rubber-mallet-whack-to-the-rear-of-the-action bump test. The trigger is really good now, almost as good as a CZ SST that has been adjusted about as light as it will possibly go. My Model 4 with SK Pistol Match will out-shoot (either just slightly, or by a significant margin) all of my CZs and the other BRNOs I have, or have had in the past, with those other guns using similarly-priced ammo that they like. It's shot a lot of quarter-inch groups at 50 yards. Here are a couple of 50-yard groups I kept from the first day I ever shot it.

One of my favorite things about shooting the Model 4 is that you don't need any hearing protection when shooting Standard Velocity ammo (assuming there are no other loud guns shooting near you). That long barrel is very quite.

Last edited by I6turbo; 04-30-2021 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-30-2021, 09:54 PM
randyman_ar
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Congrats on your purchase!!! I've been on GB pretty much nightly. Don't remember this rifle. Can't wait for pics!!!
Old 06-02-2021, 08:21 PM
284wahoo

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Well as promised, here a few pics of this NTM Model 4.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

And this one with the importer mark. Can anyone tell me anything about this importer?

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by 284wahoo; 06-02-2021 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:16 PM
I6turbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Looks like a nice one!
I look forward to hearing what you think of it when you can shoot it some. Mine is my favorite 22 to shoot if I'm on a bench-type setup. The size and weight and accuracy just make it satisfying to shoot for groups.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:36 PM
Low Key

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Although the Brno Model 4 and CZ 452 share the same basic design, the Model 4 parts are carefully hand fitted together.

Denny said the Model 4 had a fine trigger and recommended not to mess with it.

Last edited by Low Key; 06-02-2021 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-03-2021, 04:01 AM
284wahoo

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I measured mine at just a hair over 1 lb. don’t expect I’ll tinker with it from there.

Wondering what the mark, “E-W Frasier Military M8” came from?

Last edited by 284wahoo; 06-03-2021 at 04:05 AM.
Old 06-03-2021, 05:57 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Importers mark most likely, could be anything, on my M4 the trigger was very smooth when I got it with a pull of around 1 pound but I put a slightly lighter spring and its at 10 ozs. now.
Old 06-03-2021, 06:59 AM
284wahoo

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Was that a spring out of a Yo-Dave kit, or did you pick it up separately somewhere like ACE hardware?
Old 06-03-2021, 04:19 PM
I6turbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Key View Post
Denny said the Model 4 had a fine trigger and recommended not to mess with it.
Am I understanding correctly that Denny was saying that the Model 4 trigger came from the factory having had some attention to improve it?

When I got my old Model 4 it had a good trigger, better than any of my 452s came from the factory with, but I figured someone had lightened it or perhaps worked on it. Now that you mention what Denny said, maybe it was stock... Nevertheless, I did swap out the spring with a 452 factory spring that I cut with a dremel wheel and then flattened the cut coil as best I could. I then set the trigger as light as would pass the rubber mallet bump test using the tension nut on the trigger to make the adjustment. The result is that it's one of the two or three best non-SST triggers I have on my CZ/BRNOs. The thing that the other "best" triggers have in common is that they all have the cut factory springs in them instead of the ACE Hardware springs that are in my other 452s. I'm not sure if cutting the stiffer factory spring is a better way, or if the reason that these are better is because I can now use the tension nut to get it as light as will pass the bump test. Or perhaps it's just coincidence. Jury is still out, so I need to acquire more 452s and BRNOs to continue testing.
Old 06-03-2021, 05:38 PM
Gizmo60

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well done on the Model 4, super accurate rifles, we have one in our club but with the sloped forearm stock.

Recently acquired a Brno Model 5 myself, super accurate for a 63 year old rifle.

Enjoy and do try some Eley ammo in your M4.

58 Brno M5 - 50 Yds.jpg