Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-08-2021, 11:57 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by webfoot56 View Post
Yeah I agree with the Otter on this one. That magazine sounds it is not OEM to me. A pistol as pristine as you describe if it has the original magazine should run without a hitch. Those magazines are quite pricey 125-150 dollars. Do some research here and there is info on modifying beretta neos magazines. Just takes a little time but they work great and are a cheaper option than OEM magazines.
The mag does have the markings on the bottom so I’m fairly sure it’s factory original...however, the mag seems to show more wear than the pistol, so I’m wondering if it was paired with the pistol later on. Might be paranoid, but I’m imagining that maybe the shop that sold me the pistol swapped out the “mint condition” mag that came with it for a well used mag, then sold the mint condition mag separately.
However, I’m fairly sure that the only functional problem with the mag is the weakness of the spring, so I’ll keep looking for a replacement. I’m going to pick up a few beretta Neos mags as well to see if I can get those working. In the meantime, I’ll just use the mag that came with the 4.5” pistol, but if I can get a few cheap Neos mags working reliably, I’ll just retire the Browning mags altogether.
Do the Neos mags lock the slide back reliably? Do they feed as well as the OEM mags (if modified properly)?
Old 04-09-2021, 12:09 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow...just looked around online, and apparently Neos mags are both hard to come by right now and also increasingly expensive! Are there any other options? I’ve heard that Colt Cadet mags might also work (but those are also hard to come by right now).
Old 04-09-2021, 12:25 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok: I just ordered three Wolff springs for Hi Standard 22 magazines. These look very similar to the Browning mag springs, so I’m hoping they’ll work and fix the problem! If not, I’ll be out less than 20 bucks, so no big deal. I’ll let y’all know how those work out.
In the mean time, hopefully I’ll have a range report within the next week!
Old 04-09-2021, 07:41 AM
webfoot56

TPC Rating: 
100% (99)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taters613 View Post
The mag does have the markings on the bottom so Iím fairly sure itís factory original...however, the mag seems to show more wear than the pistol, so Iím wondering if it was paired with the pistol later on. Might be paranoid, but Iím imagining that maybe the shop that sold me the pistol swapped out the ďmint conditionĒ mag that came with it for a well used mag, then sold the mint condition mag separately.
However, Iím fairly sure that the only functional problem with the mag is the weakness of the spring, so Iíll keep looking for a replacement. Iím going to pick up a few beretta Neos mags as well to see if I can get those working. In the meantime, Iíll just use the mag that came with the 4.5Ē pistol, but if I can get a few cheap Neos mags working reliably, Iíll just retire the Browning mags altogether.
Do the Neos mags lock the slide back reliably? Do they feed as well as the OEM mags (if modified properly)?
The neos magazines do lock the slide back. I bought a nomad once online and the magazine was switched out on it. It happens.
Old 04-09-2021, 07:00 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by webfoot56 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by taters613 View Post
The mag does have the markings on the bottom so I’m fairly sure it’s factory original...however, the mag seems to show more wear than the pistol, so I’m wondering if it was paired with the pistol later on. Might be paranoid, but I’m imagining that maybe the shop that sold me the pistol swapped out the “mint condition” mag that came with it for a well used mag, then sold the mint condition mag separately.
However, I’m fairly sure that the only functional problem with the mag is the weakness of the spring, so I’ll keep looking for a replacement. I’m going to pick up a few beretta Neos mags as well to see if I can get those working. In the meantime, I’ll just use the mag that came with the 4.5” pistol, but if I can get a few cheap Neos mags working reliably, I’ll just retire the Browning mags altogether.
The neos magazines do lock the slide back. I bought a nomad once online and the magazine was switched out on it. It happens.
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think that is certainly what happened here. The mag just looks extremely worn, whereas the pistol looks almost unfired. Oh well. All things considered, I still think I got an excellent deal. Hopefully these high standard mag springs will be usable and will fix the problem.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:36 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Update - Just got back from the range, and Wow...the 6 3/4” challenger is the best shooting pistol I’ve ever gotten my hands on! I shot it alongside my 4.5” challenger, my S&w m41, and my suped-up ruger Mark iv, and it outshot them all consistently.
The 6 3/4” challenger was at the top both in terms of accuracy and reliability. The best group with this pistol was a 5 shot group which measured under 1/2” at 15 yards, and I was able to shoot sub 1” groups at this distance very consistently (it seemed almost effortless, as compared to my other pistols). The next best performers where the 4.5” challenger and the ruger, while the m41 was the worst performer of the bunch, both in terms of accuracy and reliability. But, to be fair to the m41, it performed quite well with CCI blazer rounds, and the poor accuracy was probably due to the fact that I’d gotten used to the grip angle of the other pistols.
I still haven’t received the mag springs from Wolfe, so I can’t report on whether those will work in the Challenger mags yet.
Anyway, to sum up: both these Belgian challengers are absolute treasures, and have quickly become my absolute favorite 22’s to shoot!

Last edited by taters613; 04-22-2021 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-30-2021, 10:30 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quick update:
As I mentioned in another thread, the Wolfe Hi Standard mag springs work just find for the Belgian nomad/challenger/medalist mags, and replacing the mag spring with one of these DID fix the fail-to-lock back problem I wax experiencing!
Old 05-31-2021, 06:57 PM
I6turbo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Glad to hear you got it running 100% with the new spring.

I agree with you on the Belgium Brownings. They are undiscovered treasures, and like you, pretty much made me lose interest in all other 22s semi-auto handguns. Well, they seemed kind of undiscovered until the past several months when, like about everything else, they took a significant hike in what a decent one will bring. Still well worth the price, though.