Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-19-2021, 04:35 PM
flybynight
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile Savage 87 E Disassembly issues

Having problems with a Savage/Stevens model 87E. I plan to re-blue the barrel and receiver. My question is can I remove the outer mag tube without removing the lifter assembly? Also is there a specific way to re-install a cartridge guide spring. Any help with disassembly would be great, I think I'll be able to get her back together if I don't ***k up!
Old 05-20-2021, 09:33 AM
Catt57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The outer magazine goes inside the lifter assembly. At first look it looks like you can't remove the lifter without first removing the magazine. But then you can't remove the magazine without first removing the lifter.

It took me awhile to figure this one out. With the lifter screws removed there is just barely enough play in the lifter assembly to drift the front and then rear magazine blocks out. Then you can remove the magazine and lifter. To reassemble you need to remove the magazine from the rear block because it won't go back in like it came out. If you look you will see a hole in the top and bottom of the rear block. Use a punch and gently tap from the top to take out the magazine retaining dimple, the magazine will come free. Reinstall the lifter and the rear magazine block onto the rifle. Slide the magazine through the block and into the lifter. Make sure the magazine is correctly positioned with the hole in the magazine lined with the hole in the block. Then use a punch through the bottom hole of the rear magazine block to lightly tap the retaining dimple back in the magazine tube. Loosen the lifter screws so it has some play. Slide the front magazine block on and drift it back into place. Now position the lifter and re-tighten.

Now a word of caution. GO SLOW and take your time. If you try to rush or force something you will most likely break something.

As for the cartridge guide, this is how it should look.

Last edited by Catt57; 05-21-2021 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-21-2021, 07:05 AM
flybynight

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the info really helps me out. Does the cartridge guide spring just get pushed downward into place or is there some trick to it's installation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2021, 09:29 AM
Catt57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybynight View Post
Thanks for the info really helps me out. Does the cartridge guide spring just get pushed downward into place or is there some trick to it's installation
Just spread it open a bit to slide it over the tube and it should just snap into the slots.
Old 05-21-2021, 02:49 PM
flybynight

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks again when I got the gun that spring was missing. I asked the owner if he knew anything about it, and he said he forgot and brought over the spring. I looked at the schematic at numrich and THIS spring did not look like it at all. The guy then fessed up and said he screwed it up trying to take it off. I have a new spring ordered (lucky to find one) that is why I was unsure on putting back on.
Old 05-21-2021, 04:47 PM
Catt57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybynight View Post
Thanks again when I got the gun that spring was missing. I asked the owner if he knew anything about it, and he said he forgot and brought over the spring. I looked at the schematic at numrich and THIS spring did not look like it at all. The guy then fessed up and said he screwed it up trying to take it off. I have a new spring ordered (lucky to find one) that is why I was unsure on putting back on.
Yeah, easy to put on, but also very easy to mess it up taking it off if you try to force it.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:31 AM
Sumboa

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bumper spring replacement

Can the bumper and bumper spring be replaced without removing the barrel?
Old 06-16-2021, 08:50 AM
grouseman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No, the barrel has to come off. Not difficult, just drive the pins out. They only go out one way, I believe. Look carefully at both sides for marks on the pins where they were driven in. Pound out from the other side of course. Looking at mine, I believe they were driven IN on the ejection side.
Old Today, 12:46 AM
FredT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In case you don't know it, but you probably already do ->> in which case just excuse the hell out of me: You have the potential there for a wonderful old rifle. ((And I am VERY HAPPY for you -> seriously)... They feel just like a full-sized high power rifle, they shoot well, and they are a pleasure to own. What's more, according to all the talk about these on the various forums it seems that these rifles hardly ever die. They just keep on being sold & bought, refinished & re-blued, and then passed for the next generation to enjoy. Congratulations!!