100% (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipestone View Post
Here is the Savage mags reworked...easy / peasy

pipestone
Is this the 5 rounder?
Old 05-22-2021, 07:34 PM
frankmako
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
i have been doing the cut on the back also,,,,,, but the last batch of mag i got in i tried them without cutting the back. they all worked without cutting them. i have used them in two matches and i did not have any problems. so i would check them before i start cutting them to see if they work. so now i have 8 mags that has been cut and 10 mag that i did nothing to them. all work with no problems.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:09 AM
stubby001

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
i have been doing the cut on the back also,,,,,, but the last batch of mag i got in i tried them without cutting the back. they all worked without cutting them. i have used them in two matches and i did not have any problems. so i would check them before i start cutting them to see if they work. so now i have 8 mags that has been cut and 10 mag that i did nothing to them. all work with no problems.
I bought 2 and tried one in my 1416 and it seemed to fit fine without cutting. I haven't had a chance to try with ammo yet, but seems to fit just fine.
Old 06-05-2021, 04:13 PM
joej66hd
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Back in stock

For anyone interested, Brownells has the Wisner 10 rd magazines back in stock for $24.99ea. PN. 533-400-350WB

I've been able to make these work just fine, It simply takes a file and about 10 minutes of your time. Only issue I can find, is if you rest the rifle on the mag or push up on it too hard, it can go in deep enough to interfere with the bolt closing. All you have to do it pull it back down until the magazine latch catches back in the grove. At 1/3-1/4 the cost of the factory mags, I can live with that.
Old 06-05-2021, 05:35 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Will an Anschutz baseplate fit on these Savage mags?
Old 06-05-2021, 06:02 PM
US Army Veteran GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the heads up on the magazine, wanted/needed a 10 rounder
And the price is right.
Regards,

Joe McNeill
SW Arkansas
Old 06-09-2021, 08:27 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I just did my first Savage to Anschutz mag modification. I had to file front and rear at the top of the mag body and cut the feed lips down considerably. The entire process took me a half hour at least. I am not convinced that I hit the sweet spot on the latch notch. I tried to locate it by measuring down from the top of the follower and then ended up having to file down the lips considerably to allow bolt closure. The mag lips on the Savage mag are literally twice as long/large/tall and much thicker than the Anschutz mag lips. Tested the mag in 3 (different models) 54 action rifles and it was really tight in one, fit one just right and pretty loose in one. The "finished" mag did feed perfectly with no shaving or deformation of the bullets loaded as fast as I could (GENTLY) run the bolt. After looking a the Savage mags I don't think I can get an Anschutz mag base to fit the Savage mags.
Old 06-10-2021, 10:51 AM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Savage/Widner mags fit my 64MPR perfectly with no mod required. Interesting how the mag wells were different on your 54. Seems like maybe the factory may not have the best quality control or if your guns were used the previous owners didn't mod the mag wells accurately.