Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-01-2022, 07:22 PM
Grey Kiwi
Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Indoor benchrest

My local indoor smallbore club offers benchrest (so that mainly the oldies don't have to struggle getting down on to, or up off, the floor).
OK, so I'm not old...just 74 at the moment, but I want to be prepared for this old age thing (one day).
Re a rifle...I thought about a BSA Martini with a scope. Can get one locally...a Mk1 with no rear sight and both barrel mount 'blocks' are missing too.
It crossed my mind that Martini bits and pieces are getting hard to find, and there are breakages common to them now such as tumblers, and extractors (old age, metal fatigue, etc).
How about a CZ455? Can get a heavy barrel one locally. Bung on a 25x or 30x scope and go shooting!
Don't mind tinkering and finessing to make the CZ shoot better (if needed).
Will need to make a spacer to replace the magazine (single shot only allowed).
Bear in mind that I'm in New Zealand, so limited rifle choices compared to the USA.
A Ruger Precision maybe?
What off the shelf bolt action that won't cost me 'an arm and a leg' to get started with?
Sadly, a nice Anschutz is out of the question.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Edit: just a quick thought...one of the shooters at the club insists that you do not hold the benchrest rifle as per normal. Set up the rifle on the supports, don't 'hold' the rifle. No cheek 'weld', the only part of the body to touch the rifle is the trigger finger.
I'm 'old school'...I like to hold the rifle, get that cheek weld, eye in the correct position for each and every shot.
I tried just once to use his ideas but eye relief of scope he had (I used his rifle), and scope parallax (could not get same sight picture all the time) negated any 'advantage' that he thought he had.
Am I being difficult by ignoring his advice? Is he right or wrong?
Thanks again.

Last edited by Grey Kiwi; 01-01-2022 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-01-2022, 07:53 PM
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I guess shoot what ever it is you want.

I guess you should shoot what ever rifle it is that you want to shoot. If you have a 50 yard indoor range, that is terrific. But what ever range you have, make use of it. Many of our indoor ranges have a limit of 50 feet or 25 yards. If you are using a scope, it is best to have one which will focus at the range you are shooting. Of course, iron sights will work well at these shorter ranges.

I would not worry too much about a BSA/Martini breaking. They are fine rifles. As to other rifles, just shoot them as they are, you may not need to install a heavy barrel. I do not know what you need to pay in New Zealand for rifles. If you can afford the Martini, I would go with that. The CZ will probably shoot well too.

One last tip, use a front bi-pod and a rear bag, it will eliminate many problems. And hold the rifle when you shoot it.
Old 01-02-2022, 06:09 PM
Fire Fighter Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Iíve owned and used CZ455 and 457 as well as a Tikka T1X. Both are very capable rifles. I now shoot a Savage TR and the stock fits me much better for production / stock class. My scores are considerably better with the TR as well. The Savage costs nearly half of what the CZs cost and itís not as well machined either, which doesnít bother me for a 22 rifle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2022, 07:15 PM
Gizmo60

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Howdy Grey in Zealand, New Year greetings to you from Ireland.

The bench is great for us oldies, getting down is ok for the most part , getting back up is the problem.

Anyhow,

From the bench basically two types of users, those who hold the rifle in a traditional manner and those who shoot free style by just using trigger finger or trigger finger and thumb. You should try both styles and see what’s best/most natural for yourself.

Your friend’s rifle, especially the scope was setup for his eyes, not yours, that’s why the sight picture wasn’t right.

Anschutz, never rule one out, yes new they are expensive, keep an eye out for second-hand, bargains do come up every now and then.

CZ’s - can be great and accurate rifles to shoot supported from bench, if you’re going for one second-hand, try and get an early one if possible, some early ones (ZKM 452E) are basically a clone of the Brno M2.

Brno - lovely rifles, IMHO far superior to CZ’s, most are super accurate (models M3 & M4 are the target versions), grab a Brno if you can. Early Brno M1’s and 2’s are/can be expensive though but bargains do appear. A Brno stamped with "Brno Arms - Model X" is basically a CZ made Brno with original Brno parts.

BSA – again superb rifles but overtaken by Anschutz & Walther in the 80’s. The internationals are the best and most accurate (Mk 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5), the Model 12 and 12/15 are great rifles and normally cheaper than the Internationals. You can’t really go wrong with a BSA, most parts are large and seldom break, and they are as tough as old boots.

I have no idea of your budget, a quick google showed a nice BSA and a Brno at link hereunder. Prices listed for both converted to Euro would not be considered expensive over here for those looking for them. As always, condition is a factor, yes, they are old, but old doesn’t mean they will not shoot, my last purchase was a 63 year old Brno M5, .75 inch at 100 yds and .25 at 50 yds any day.

BSA link – I’m no expert but the BSA listed looks to be a Model 13 to me.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketpl...ing/3406911655

Brno M2 link –
https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketpl...ing/3411599946

Enjoy your search.

Last edited by Gizmo60; 01-02-2022 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-02-2022, 09:38 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Grey Kiwi, my trigger is light enough to shoot without holding the rifle, and Iíve tried it that way, but, when I do, I donít feel like Iíve been shooting.
Iíll holdíem.
Old 01-03-2022, 05:40 PM
Grey Kiwi
Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yep, I like to hold them too.
Haven't made my mind up yet about a rifle.
Can get a Mk1 Martini, but will probably go for a modern bolt action.
Old 01-14-2022, 03:05 PM
Grey Kiwi
Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well...I've bought the rifle.
It's an 'At-One' CZ457.
Will need to make a dummy magazine (single shot only allowed).
Now just need to figure out a scope.
Can't get lovely glass that USA shooters can, and USA Govt. has restricted exports of high power optics.
But I can get a Sightron sii 36x42 scope.
I 'think' 36x should be 'enough' magnification (?)
Or go China made and get a Vector Optics 46x Minotaur scope.
But I don't know how long a China made scope will last, and that 46x jobbie will cost me over $NZ500 (yes...we get badly screwed here in NZ).
Weaver T36 from ebay maybe? But will be 2nd or 3rd hand and who knows if it's still working OK.
Interested in your thoughts re a scope.
Thanks.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:35 PM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Get the Sightron. A no-brainer.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:01 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Kiwi View Post
Well...I've bought the rifle.
It's an 'At-One' CZ457.
Will need to make a dummy magazine (single shot only allowed).
Now just need to figure out a scope.
Can't get lovely glass that USA shooters can, and USA Govt. has restricted exports of high power optics.
But I can get a Sightron sii 36x42 scope.
I 'think' 36x should be 'enough' magnification (?)
Or go China made and get a Vector Optics 46x Minotaur scope.
But I don't know how long a China made scope will last, and that 46x jobbie will cost me over $NZ500 (yes...we get badly screwed here in NZ).
Weaver T36 from ebay maybe? But will be 2nd or 3rd hand and who knows if it's still working OK.
Interested in your thoughts re a scope.
Thanks.
I was recommended the Sightron 36 x 42 for my MTR. Very happy with and the price was right.
Old 01-15-2022, 06:32 PM
Gizmo60

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Grey-Kiwi.

Big for Sightron.

I wear prescription glasses and really need a good power scope about 24x and above.

I use a Sightron (SII 36X42 BRD) for heavy class BR at 50yds and for 100yds, I also use an Athlon Talus 6-24 for lighter classes at 50yds.

The Athlon is fine for 50yds, no good to me for 100yds, both are great scopes.

Note - the Sightron is not the brightest scope out there then again its only 42mm compared to 50mm for most other scopes however, super fine cross hairs/fine target dot, eye relief takes some getting used to but solid made and mine has served me well for past three/four years.

T36's no longer made, Weaver out of business etc.

As vlnbyr says, Go Sightron, if in your budget its a no-brainer.

Great scope for the cost IMHO.
Old 01-16-2022, 07:18 AM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I'm always mystified by the laws prohibiting the export of an import.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:21 AM
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I have the Sightron III 6-32X50 with target dot reticle. Outstanding scope.
Old 01-16-2022, 01:48 PM
gkgeiger
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have 3 SIII 45X45 fine cross hair no dot. Best for the buck.
Old 01-16-2022, 01:50 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgeiger View Post
I have 3 SIII 45X45 fine cross hair no dot. Best for the buck.
I agree. What sealed the deal for me was the extra small .1 adjustment.
Old 01-16-2022, 03:12 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The SIII looks nice, but................at its price I'd take a look at spending $200.00 more and pick up the NF 12-42X 56mm Benchrest.

The Sightron with it's 45mm objective will give you a 1.0 mmm exit pupil which is quite small. Makes eye position critical, and with that small of an exit pupil it will look much dimmer than the Night Force with its 1.33mm exit pupil at 42X.

Nightforce will parallax down to 25yds, so not suitable for an Air-Rifle.
And has .125 moa clicks (which is the norm) vs. the .100 inch clicks of the Sightron.
It also has an A.O. parallax adjustment. I have no problem with that, and it eliminates and entire set of lens which improves the brightness over equivalent side parallax scopes

I've owned the NF and have looked through a couple of the SIII 45X scopes.
Won't say there is no comparison, but I kinda am.

Just something to consider.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 01-16-2022 at 09:29 PM.