Ammo - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-13-2022, 09:52 PM
Cold Bore
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)

Okay, so we have the date codes, but somebody mentioned "figuring out the annealing".

Help us actually put those date codes to use.

What timeframe is the line between the "old" and the "new"?

Thanks.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:59 PM
Lerrab
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cold Bore, ,I doubt if CCI has changed their annealing process from the beginning. they simply do a better job of annealing on some batches than others. They anneal them after the primer is inserted and do so without using heat as far as I know or have been told.

Last edited by Lerrab; 01-14-2022 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:12 PM
Cold Bore

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerrab View Post
Cold Bore, ,I doubt if CCI has changed their annealing process from the beginning. they simply do a better job of annealing on some batches than others. They anneal them after the primer is inserted and do so without using heat as far as I know or have been told.
I was referring back to this.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenhater View Post

Plus I dont know if it's old stock, (ammo made before they figured out how to anneal the cases). ... So to my question: is there a way to tell how old the ammo is?
So it's just like the rest of rimfire ammo? Certain lots are just better, not necessarily an age thing?
Old 01-15-2022, 05:55 AM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Bore View Post
I was referring back to this.....

So it's just like the rest of rimfire ammo? Certain lots are just better, not necessarily an age thing?
See these links.
Manufacturers later on may have changed chamber dimensions slightly to help with case rupture.
My lilja barrels bust a case about 1 in 200-250 shots on average.
My barrels all less than 3 years old (ownership age). But lilja did a new run just before I got my first. So barrels not on shelve long time. Lilja made hm2 barrels previously. Then they didn’t make for a while. These first barrels may have burst cases more on average than what my barrels do.
I will buy one more barrel lilja. I love the round. Spend lots of time afield using it.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=521342

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=492397

Last edited by squirrel1; 01-15-2022 at 06:00 AM.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:07 AM
Lerrab

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cold Bore, Your question has more than one fork.

Not necessarily an age thing, is correct. Necessarily being the key word. The next batch they make could be worse than the last batch they made. It depends on how well the annealing process goes on each batch. So new ammo could be worse on splits than old ammo. Which brings us to the topic of old ammo.

Due to the annealing process that is used and the thin wall of the case as the ammo ages it is more likely to give way and split. Keep in mind if this older ammo was very well annealed it may still produce LESS splits than a new batch that was poorly annealed.

If one has an older batch of ammo and a newer batch of ammo both properly and well annealed then the newer batch will contain less splits as the older batch begins to show its age. But older doesn't NECESSARILY mean more splits than new.

Last edited by Lerrab; 01-15-2022 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-15-2022, 01:32 PM
Cold Bore

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
Got it.

The way the one reply was worded, I thought there was some breakthrough moment when the annealing process changed, with a definite step in case quality evident from that point forward.

"ammo made before they figured out how to anneal the cases"

Maybe I just misread, or misinterpreted, it.

Thanks for the clarifications.
Old 01-15-2022, 02:04 PM
Lerrab

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"Ammo made before they figured out how to anneal the case." That statement could very well apply to the 17HMR, but by the time the mach2 was born they had it figured out! They don't always do a good job of it though.