So Begins the Hunt for a Rimfire Revolver.. HELP! - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-13-2022, 11:03 PM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)

Theres a reason your dad only had a SA revolver in 22 lr..
They are easy and fun to shoot. The triggers are good .

A DA SA revolver in 22 lr usually get shot in SA. It takes a lot of skill and practice to shoot a da trigger well.

And your kids will probably be like you, and move on to semi auto as soon as they are able.

So I wouldn’t be buying a high$ 22 revolver to scratch an itch that is usually so fleeting.

Find a nice SA revolver, that you like , and have a little fun .
Old 01-13-2022, 11:18 PM
insp105
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
22 revolver

I have recently sold several taurus 94 22lr revolvers and purchased a Taurus model 942 2" stainless steel 22lr. My reason for the switch was the 94's have much higher sights and don't fit the many J-frame holsters that I have. The new 942 fits perfect and shoots totally awesome ! trigger out of the box is great. Like all rimfire revolvers double action is a little stiff and it has to be to reliably fire 22lr. Single action is as good as any of my smiths. For under $400 I think it would be a great addition to anybody's stable. Will be getting the 22mag as my next purchase. Good luck
Old 01-14-2022, 06:32 AM
jm17

TPC Rating: 
93% (13)
Since you will be shooting with younger children I would say a smith and wesson 63. It's a J frame so it will be easier for smaller people to get a proper grip and suport the weight of the gun. I made the "mistake" of letting my wife use
my 63-5 and its 357 twin a model 60-10. She now refers to both as "Her guns".
Old 01-14-2022, 07:22 AM
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
I have learnt real pistolcraft after the military by shooting a club owned .22 l.r. Colt OMM and am partial to rimfire revolvers because of that. A revolver will help to learn a young shooter to not just blast away but to concentrate on the basics of pistolcraft and follow through.
Nowadays I am doing almost all my revolver shooting in double action and appreciate good trigger characteristics.
Unless someone is willing to pay for a Korth, a S&W K-22 will be the best alternative when it comes to rimfire wheel guns, a service grip will accommodate small hands and can easily be replaced when little hands have grown. The patridge front sight offers an excellent sight picture and the adjustable sights make this revolver a serious match gun. The 17-6 and 617 with the full underlug are a little front heavy.

Besides that, they are a great heirloom, too!

Old 01-14-2022, 07:28 AM
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
You're on the right track with the Model 17.

They don't call it the Masterpiece for nothing.

Don't forget the Model 18 which is also a Masterpiece.

Forget the new Smiths. Buy pre-lock and YOU WILL NEVER REGRET IT..........GUARANTEED.
I have probably seen a few more guns than the average person and have seen countless pre-lock S&W revolvers with canted barrels, poor fitting cylinder assemblies and marginal timing.

Pre- or post lock the guns have large variations in quality and have to been assessed one-by-one.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:55 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
Here's my Model 18:

.['

Here's my Model 17:

Single Six:

Old 01-14-2022, 08:43 AM
DS-10-SPEED

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I started with Ruger Single Six 50 years ago and still have it, but I then got into DA revolvers and it doesn't get used anymore. My favorite is the 617, I have 3 of them, keep looking for one, that's the best choice IMO. I also have a 10 shot GP100 (it required a bunch of rework), a S&W 8 shot 63 and a Ruger LCR. I had an SP101 for a while but the small grip and wide trigger guard made it difficult to shot DA with large hands. The 63 is a good choice but I can't hit the target as easy as the 617's. The Ruger LCR fits my larger hand very well, fun plinker and really light.

617-6 4" (my 10 shots are used a lot in speed shooting sports)

617 (no dash) 6"

617-2 6"

63, NAA mini, LCR

Added round to square butt conversion Altamont grip to the 63, better for large hands.

GP100 with larger rubber grip, hand made dot base and Burris FF3.

Good luck on your search.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:10 AM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
1. I repeat: Forget the new Smiths. Buy pre-lock and YOU WILL NEVER REGRET IT..........GUARANTEED.

I say that with confidence.

Don't get the idea that any pre-lock is perfect.........Caveat Emptor.

You will probably have to buy from one of the on-line sources.

The way to do this is to use caution, buy only from seller's with long and excellent records of selling and those who take returns.

Have the gun sent directly to your gunsmith with the understanding that he will inspect it and approve it or it will be returned.

I've done this several times and been happy every time. Good sellers don't mind at all and I had one split the cost of a needed part with me without complaint.

2. As to the J frames.........know that due to the size--you will not be able to get the J frame trigger pull to equal the K frame trigger pull.

K frame trigger pulls, will always surpass J frames.

3. There is no size problem. I was shooting my father's K22 at age eight (along with several other normal size .22 pistols and revolvers).

I was a normal size child and did not have a problem with the weight or size of the six-inch K22.

Back to trigger pull........one of my childhood memories of the K22 is that I would fairly often forget to pull the hammer back because the double action pull of that 1955 era K22 was so superb.

Again.......although the Models 43, 34 and 63 are wonderful little guns........you can't get a J frame to that exquisite level of trigger pull that you can with a K frame.

I don't claim to be any end-all expert.

My opinions are simply from 70 wonderful years of shooting many models of Smith and Wesson revolvers.

Others may have absolutely valid opinions based on their experiences that differ from mine.

Your challenge is to evaluate all the opinions.

Good luck.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:51 AM
Bogdan_Wolynetz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
I think of the GP100 as Ruger's "answer" to the 617. Same general size, but without the underlug. I have one and it is a pretty accurate revolver. Full disclosure: I did have to send mine back to Ruger for a timing/lead spitting problem (turnaround less than 1 week). And I did polish up the trigger components with an Arkansas stone and some 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper. On the plus size, they'd fit larger hands well. Here's mine with replacement wooden grips and a bronze bead front sight.
I'm over 6ft with a lumberjack build and agree about the GP fitting my large mits

Mine is bone stock and accurate, one day I may smooth up the trigger. It's a fun range gun that sees tons of rounds, but I've found myself looking for something a bit more svelte for field use.

I recently ordered an SP but it came with the cylinder dragging terribly so I had the dealer send it back for replacement. They sent a different one but one side of the trigger guard was entirely unfinished and so sharp it cut the guys finger when he pulled it from the plastic. Their QC seems to have taken a dump in recent years as I've read similar from quite a few others.

I'm thinking something more along the lines of a 3" kit gun...
Both the 317 & 63 look interesting and can be had new
I've also read the 3" LCR in 22lr is a nice shooter

I'm looking at some vintage stuff as well...
There is a 3" Bearcat locally I'm going to look at tomorrow.
And someone about two hours from me has a 3" S&W 650 with both the LR & WMR cylinders.
He sent pictures and it looks nice but some online say it is a terrible shooter, others say it's awesome, no clue which is true.

She's a dirty girl...

Last edited by Bogdan_Wolynetz; 01-14-2022 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-14-2022, 05:01 PM
Oldengineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There’s a real nice Smith 18-3 on gunbroker trending with a reasonable price. It’s got a bruised grip, but otherwise appears very pleasing. I have two pre-18’s and they are my favorite revolvers followed by a 4 screw pre-17. Nothing comes close except a Colt Diamondback.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:43 PM
James Cottrell
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to James Cottrell
I have my Dad's 17-2 6". Looks almost new. Shoot it a few times a year, and it is still tight and accurate.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:22 AM
sicumj
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My favorite are K frame Smiths, so I would also recommend a model 17. I have a J frame 34 4 inch and a 3 inch 317 that I carry more often.

I don't understand the reluctance toward the Ruger revolvers. Some of my lightest triggers are on single action Ruger's after some trigger work, which you need to do to the Smiths also if you want what they are capable of.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:32 AM
Aquaman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool

Well, thanks everyone for the input! I've learned a lot about rimfire revolvers thanks to you guys.

Now I'm learning that gunbroker really sucks! Or at least, my gunbroker game sucks.

Seems I've succeeded only in bumping the price of items well over the reasonable threshold and into the new bizarre zone that seems to be the current value of rimfire revolvers these days.

I've missed on several 17s, an 18, 617, 34, and even a single six that I put a crazy high bid on for no particular reason at all... So glad someone beat me out of that one!

Oh well, I'm not a quitter! I'll keep on trying. This might take longer than I had hoped!
Old 01-18-2022, 11:53 AM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Persistence pays. You'll find what you need .

TBR
Old 01-18-2022, 12:00 PM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post
Well, thanks everyone for the input! I've learned a lot about rimfire revolvers thanks to you guys.

Now I'm learning that gunbroker really sucks! Or at least, my gunbroker game sucks.

Seems I've succeeded only in bumping the price of items well over the reasonable threshold and into the new bizarre zone that seems to be the current value of rimfire revolvers these days.

I've missed on several 17s, an 18, 617, 34, and even a single six that I put a crazy high bid on for no particular reason at all... So glad someone beat me out of that one!
Rule #1........to avoid bumping prices higher.........DO NOT bid until the last few seconds of an auction.

Never START the bidding.

Prices may go higher anyway, but no need to make things worse by joining in.

If you're patient you may end up in an auction without a lot of bidders and get a deal.

You are buying at a time of high prices, so be prepared to pay the price.

It's possible prices may never go below what they are now........so you could still end up with a revolver that increases in value in the future.

Stick with quality and excellent condition even if it means paying more.