Does ammo matter? You decide - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-14-2022, 02:03 AM
Ysrracer1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Does ammo matter? You decide

High Standard Supermatic Trophy, 50 feet, one handed.

Green is SK Pistol, red is CCI Standard Velocity. You decide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13819_1642143776346.jpg (59.4 KB, 23 views)
Old 01-14-2022, 02:45 AM
Edcnh
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
22lrís can be finicky regarding ammunition. You just proved that using only two types of ammunition. I usually try as many types of 22lr as I can find to see what that particular gun likes. I have two High Standards. A model 103 Supermatic Citation and a model 107 Supermatic Citation. Both shoot well with CCI Standard Velocity. Both will shoot much better with Lapua Pistol King or Lapua Center-X. InterarmsTX has Aquila 22lr match grade ammunition for sale. It is 700 rounds for approximately $81 including shipping to the lower 48 in the USA. I donít remember the exact price but it is listed on the InterarmsTX website. Try shooting from a rest and see what you get for results.

Last edited by Edcnh; 01-14-2022 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Add comment
Old 01-14-2022, 06:20 AM
webfoot56

TPC Rating: 
100% (99)
I shot my Victor today and cci standard and aquila standard shot pretty much the same for me and Alan at interarms uses the same ammo when he repairs customers guns. I would imagine tho that the more expensive target ammo would shoot smaller groups if it will feed thru your gun.YMMV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2022, 07:06 AM
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
With ammo being kind of scarce, I used some Winchester Wildcat and rest of some various boxes to check a few S&W 17s, the Wildcats performed very poorly.
I personally like Aguila SV and Geco Pistol and have had excellent results with that ammo from handguns, I use Aguila SV also for offhand rifle shooting.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:31 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In more normal times I think it best to use the least expensive accurate reliable readily available 22LR Standard Velocity ammo that you can find that works through your gun. Until 2 years ago my go-to ammo was CCI Standard Velocity ammo because it ticked all those boxes. The last two years has seen some new players but the pricing box is not ticked because when there is virtually no ammo, you shoot what you can get.

In my case two things saved me from having to go to the scalpers for 22LR ammo. I anticipated ammo problems after a similar ammo shortages occurred after the last few Democrat presidents were elected. So in the lull of a Republican presidency, I STOCKED UP. The second was that the pandemic scared me away from shooting at the local range. And my consumption of my stores of any ammo was seriously reduced. So I still have plenty of good CCI SV and other more mundane plinker ammo for non-match grade guns.

The key thing here, in my mind, is the best ammo in the world you can not get is worthless. And ammo that is priced to the sky will limit your practice shooting. I have no idea when the ammo shortages will subside but I'm good for now. I feel bad for those that did not anticipate this common ammo shortage that is partially politically motivated. To be fair the pandemic seriously tightened the shortages when ammo manufacturers had to shut down. Such a situation could not be anticipated. But keeping a large store of ammo to use in these times is probably a good thing to do. The stupid liberal government could stop all ammo production in a heart beat. In California we have to buy a permit and register every box of ammo we buy....Goverment in action!

LDBennett
Old 01-14-2022, 01:49 PM
Ontarian50

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I find that trying to compare ammo when shooting offhand is pretty close to worthless. I can't shoot the same size group twice in a row, even when using the same ammo.
I have benched various .22 ammo types, and even used a Ransom rest on occasion, and the results are interesting. Even the cheapest ammo will group within two inches at our 20 yard range in a good gun, like the Trophy mentioned above. Something less fancy, like a GSG, will maybe do three inches with budget ammo. Good ammo, and the CCI Standard can be included here, will group within a dime size at 20 yards when all goes well (maybe 1.5 inches in a GSG).
The hard part with ammo choice, is that you probably won't notice better scores until you're a better shot. If you imagine your 3 inch group ammo can be up to 1.5" off target, if you waver your sights around several inches when aiming, your group size may not be affected much. There's always a possibility that if you aim 1.5" to the left, and your budget ammo shoots (random chance) 1.5" right, you'll get a bullseye you didn't really deserve. If you aim 1.5" left, and the shot goes another 1.5" left, then things get worse.
But the closer you are to a consistent aim, the more you need better ammo to pay off.
The other big issue, when shooting bullseye on a timed line, are alibis - when your gun goes click instead of bang, and it not only ends up costing you points, but puts that bug in the back of your mind about your next shot going click when you should be concentrating on aim, trigger pull, and breathing. Cheaper bulk ammo is nearly always less reliable than the good stuff. It also doesn't ingratiate yourself with the other shooters who have to wait around for your alibi shoots, and have to score your alibi littered targets.
Old 01-15-2022, 05:53 AM
hamden

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
One hand? Offhand or with a rest?
Old 01-15-2022, 01:45 PM
Ontarian50

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamden View Post
One hand? Offhand or with a rest?

Well, since we're talking about High Standard precision pistols here, obviously we shoot one handed.
The tactical weenies might need two hands to spray their shots over a two foot wide target at 7 yards, but with a High Standard, if you need two hands, you probably should reach for a rifle.
But, yes, if you're testing ammo in a pistol, shooting over sandbags is the bare minimum. A Ransom Rest is even better.
Old 01-15-2022, 03:51 PM
wv109323

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I ransom rested several standard velocity ammos in the past years through 4 different High Standard barrels. They were a 6 3/4" tapered, 51/2" Bull Barrel, Victor 5 1/2" and a 7 1/3" fluted.
There was very little difference in 50 yard groups. All groups were between 1" and 2 1/2". Probably 70% of the groups fell within 1 1/8" to 2".
Remington SV was the constant loser and no much difference between 5-7 other brands.
I stick with CCI SV due to reliability, accuracy, availability and price. I did not shoot any of the uber priced ammo.
Old 01-15-2022, 03:59 PM
Brett Mc

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontarian50 View Post
Well, since we're talking about High Standard precision pistols here, obviously we shoot one handed.
The tactical weenies might need two hands to spray their shots over a two foot wide target at 7 yards, but with a High Standard, if you need two hands, you probably should reach for a rifle.
I'm not tactical, nor am I a weenie, but I do use two hands.
Old 01-15-2022, 04:06 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeh, it's really annoying how all that Aguila Mexican Made 22 LR flowing into the U.S. shoots so much better than almost all the Federal Bulk, like Auto Match. I have found that price and name recognition does not always correspond with quality. For price vs. quality it's hard to beat Aguila rimfire for value in 2022.
Old 01-16-2022, 02:31 AM
DaveInDenver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Considering trying Aguila SV in my 107. Will my POI change from CCI/SV?

Mags are happy with CCI, so "if it ain't broke..."
Old 01-18-2022, 11:11 PM
tangeant

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
50 ft doesn't really matter. CCI SV is more than capable of shooting 100 slowfire at 50ft.

Reliability is more important.

I only shoot higher end stuff at 50 yd but...I have shot a few 95-98 50 yd slow fires with CCI too.