BSA International ISU eject "problem?" - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-14-2022, 05:49 AM
Off-target

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BSA International ISU eject "problem?"

I used to have a BSA 12/15 and an International MkIII, and they both ejected like the cases had been fired from a mortar. I now have an International ISU, and while it extracts well enough, it doesn't always eject the fired cases very well. Sometimes a case will remain in the loading trough, and will need to be tipped out.

Is there a common problem with these rifles, or is the ISU just a generally indifferent ejector?
Old 01-14-2022, 07:12 AM
lion
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Is the case maybe hitting the scope or mount and being kicked back into the rifle?
Old 01-14-2022, 07:59 AM
Off-target

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lion View Post
Is the case maybe hitting the scope or mount and being kicked back into the rifle?

No - I'm using the original peep sights. I suspect that the ejector spring may have weakened, but that's just a guess.

Do you know if the ISU ejector spring is the same as the MkII/MkIII etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2022, 09:36 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Normally the 12/15 acts like you describe,because it was before the design change to the very strong ejector. I think I would look for a piece that wrote about the change and how it works, then watch yours carefully and see if something doesn't do as designed.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2022, 10:52 AM
tim slater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A Mk 4 will be at least 35yo and possibly over 50, it's possible that the ejector or spring are worn. Before replacing any parts, how clean is the rifle? If you haven't already done this remove the breech/trigger and clean the snot out of it. Do the same with the inside of the receiver and the chamber too. 40 years of gunge will not improve operation.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:53 AM
lion
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Because I use a scope all the time I assumed most other people did too. Boy, was I wrong. One thing to check is if the ejector release lever is catching and holding until it is released by the breech block. If that is not working right it will just sort of push the fired shell out. Not that it can't happen but I have never seen an ejector spring weaken, break from being over compressed when assembling, yes. Ask me how I know this.
Old 01-15-2022, 06:40 AM
bberg7794

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off-target View Post
I used to have a BSA 12/15 and an International MkIII, and they both ejected like the cases had been fired from a mortar. I now have an International ISU, and while it extracts well enough, it doesn't always eject the fired cases very well. Sometimes a case will remain in the loading trough, and will need to be tipped out.

Is there a common problem with these rifles, or is the ISU just a generally indifferent ejector?
I had the same experience. My MKII strongly ejected the empties, even with one of the forks broken off the extractor, where my ISU did not. Both were impeccably clean, chambers included, when I owned them.
Old 01-15-2022, 07:45 AM
Off-target

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you all for your input.

I've been looking at how the cases are actually being ejected, and most of them seem to be coming out backwards i.e., towards me, although a lot came out in various directions, with not much force behind them.
The ones that come out backwards are hitting the rear sight unit, which takes most of the sting out of them. From that point onward they go wherever they like, so I took the rear sight unit off, to see what happened.
Some of the cases came out quite well, while others didn't, so I'm just going to put it down to being an indifferent ejector.
The rifle itself is superbly accurate, with a beautifully light, crisp trigger release, so I'm quite happy to give the occasional empty case a helping finger to clear the loading area. I'm old and weak too, so I know exactly how the old girl feels!

Last edited by Off-target; 01-15-2022 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:21 AM
MartiniBelgian

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That usually means that the case hit the rear sight unit when ejected, and has bounced back. My Mk V does the same, some cases are put into orbit, others need to be removed from the block.