Anybody compared a T1x to the Begara BMR? - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-02-2022, 03:58 PM
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)

Bell & Carlson

http://www.bellandcarlson.com/index....tegory_ID=1147

It's considerably heavier than stock but I really like the feel.
Old 01-11-2022, 11:00 AM
RGSIII
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Gerald, What scope did you in up using with the BMR? Is it a 30 mm tube and have you had any trouble with the 30 MOA rail? Thanks
Old 01-11-2022, 12:16 PM
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGSIII View Post
Gerald, What scope did you in up using with the BMR? Is it a 30 mm tube and have you had any trouble with the 30 MOA rail? Thanks
For now a Athlon Talos 4-16x 1 inch tube, no problem with the 30 MOA rail at all.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:20 AM
cznut

TPC Rating: 
100% (123)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWNolan View Post
Actually for shooting unsupported I like a little more weight out front. It's personal preference IMO. However, I will say that I've held my T1X offhand many times and I considered it to be pretty well balanced. I never thought it felt front heavy. It's a different stock now so I can't check again

I've not handled a BMR yet but given how light it is I find it hard to believe it would be a better choice for offhand unless it's a squirrel gun that you'll be carrying all day. Then the light weight definitely is an advantage
I agree with PW........I havent personnaly fired a BMR but I have a close shooting buddy who has both the BMR and T1X, he says his T1X has the edge in the accuracy dept using several match ammos, although this is only 1 sample of each.
Old 01-21-2022, 11:35 AM
ZMan57

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is the followup on my Bergara BMR project, where the goal was to increase rifle's weight in order to help stabilize it, and get better accuracy out of it.

I was actually able to find some lead shot - I robbed an old Caldwell bag for one of their rests of 1 lb 10 oz of it (that's how much would fit) and poured it into the compartments in the forend, and then poured some Z-Poxy, stained with black powdered paint, over that.
This process was very tedious - I kept coming back, probably 6 times total, with more Z-Poxy as it kept seeping in between the pellets, creating little surface bubbles I kept popping.
When I do it again (more about that later), I'll use a little less per compartment.

Overall, though, this part of the project turned out a lot nicer than I expected, and certainly nicer than it should have, since up until that point I was only vaguely aware of the existence of epoxy, and mostly as something to be given a wide berth on the account of its unpredictability and difficulty of removing.

Unfortunately all this tediousness has apparently exhausted my commitment to doing quality work, because to rebalance the rifle I just poured 1 lb 10 oz (simply same amount of weight I added to the forend) into a Ziploc bag, stuffed it into the buttstock and topped it off with a couple of sections of a paper towel for a snug fit - I wish I was making this up, but even this atrocity worked out pretty well, you can only hear the shot making a racket when you bump the buttstock on a very hard surface, and like you mean it.

Of course by now I have a fair amount of ego invested in the project and I really want the rifle to do well, so I topped it off with a Nightforce Precision Benchrest (12-42 x 56 mm), but this choice may have possibly held me back instead, because in order to accommodate the 56 mm objective I had to use high rings, which did 2 things, both of them bad:

* It made my cheekweld into more of a chinweldpotentially interfering with the consistency of my shooting and with the final accuracy test results.
* The high rings combined with the 30 MOA rail made it impossible to zero the rifle at 50 yards - I ran out of adjustment, and by quite a bit - around 5 inches, so I'm joining Doug from a different recent thread in protesting against Bergara not offering a 0 MOA - or at least "less than 30 MOA" - rail.
EGW rail is $70 AND out of stock, but, thanks to Doug the Warne bases are on the way
However, until they arrive, I'm going to install a different scope - Bushnell Engage 6-24 x 50 mm, which will install with medium rings.
BTW, this scope, despite being a "cheap" China scope, imo punches way above its weight/cost, at least for short range rimfire applications.
A little over a year ago I picked up 2 of them for $299 each on Midway, now they're almost $500 and not readily available....

If you've read this far, you're probably way past ready to hear the accuracy results, and, in absolute terms they are good, but not great, while representing a huge improvement over what I was able to accomplish without making the rifle heavier - the scoped rifle right now is heavier than the original sin at 11.4 lbs, just the way I wanted.
The average of 5 5-shot groups was .39", with the worst one at .50" and with 3 groups in the 3s, and there even was one .15 3-shot group, but during warmup, so it's excluded from the average.

Conditions in my favor were the almost complete lack of wind, something very rare in the "winter" in Florida.

What could have held me back?..
The stockweld, and still the relative freshness of the bore - under 500 rds., with almost all lubed bullets, so whatever break-in needs/can take place, hasn't yet.
Also, towards the end of the session it started to get dark.

None of the above - imo/so far - changes Bergara BMR's position v. Tikka T1X MTR, btw.
The stock mods, which were clearly necessary for me to get decent accuracy results can't really be recommended, unless you're not going to sell the rifle, or are at peace with the prospect of having to sell it at a deep discount.
Be that is it very well may my experience with Bergara BMR influenced me to get the BXR from Buds ($549) - both Buds and Grabagun had them in stock yesterday, they're both sold out now.
The stock on the BXR looks to be the same type as BMR's stock - basically a premium Tupperware stock, and I'll almost certainly also increase its weight, the same way.

...I'll probably come back with more, particularly if my accuracy with the BMR continues to improve

Last edited by ZMan57; 01-21-2022 at 02:39 PM.