Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-01-2021, 03:18 PM
oldreliable45120
US Navy Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Offhand shooting stand

Ok I’m new to 3 p shooting. Im from the benchrest tactical shooting world. A club member lent me his stand. I have a basic understanding of its use. Rest the rifle between offhand shots.
Is there a general rule of hight. Place it a little low and pick the rifle up off the stand and replace when done. Or shoulder hight and just slide it off towards the target and lift it back up. Just trying to keep from burning myself out. I’m a handicapped shooter and can’t kneel or sit, so I have to shoot 2 offhand and 1 prone each match.
Thanks you.
Old 12-01-2021, 05:40 PM
Pat McCoy
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
The idea is to limit your physical output over a long period of time (shooting is an endurance sport rather than strength sport). So get it set close enough and high enough to have a small amount of movement from the stand to your position.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:23 PM
STRUGL4X'SC

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Exactly, you want it out of your mind and way while shooting, and comfortable while mentally preparing for your next shot, one shot at a time, good scores are made one shot at a time.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2021, 07:03 AM
1813benny
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You may want to watch some ISSF videos of air rifle and 3-position competitions for use and positioning of the offhand stands.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:11 AM
Eagle0199
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A little low seems to be better, so as to be able to better see your loading process, but probably not more than 12 inches. I've seen shooters with their stands offset to the side but that presents problems in possibly facing the muzzle outside the range fan.

Edited to add: If you already have a scope stand for a spotting scope (and it is on a 5/8 rod) and wish to also use it as an offhand stand (rather than paying around $160 for a dedicated offhand rest on Champions Choice), then I have a deal for you. A free pole topper, turns your 5/8 scope stand into a rest. See my PIF thread at https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1188175. Still have several on hand if anyone else wants one.

Last edited by Eagle0199; 12-02-2021 at 03:45 PM.