Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-31-2021, 03:13 PM
Catt57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Stevens 53D - When were these made?

As the title says, I have a Stevens 53D and I'm trying to figure out when it might have been made.

Google results have been lacking and the only source I found with any answer was not what I would consider reliable (Online auction site).

I'm hoping the experts here can provide a more substantiated answer.
Old 04-02-2021, 11:14 AM
Sav22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'll can dig out the catalogs and see if I can come up with something but I will need pictures and/or a better description, i/e does it have a side safety and speed lock, etc.? Just a quick look at later Savage parts lists show the 53D & Savage 3C as having the same parts, this is the speed lock bolt without a cocking knob and with a separate sliding safety on the rear right of the action.

The catalogs almost never list the letter variant so it's not possible to put a date on them just from that, they do however usually describe the changes/improvements in the catalogs and that can be compared with parts catalogs but pre-WWII Stevens parts catalogs were not dated, Savage parts catalogs came out almost every year and were dated so a comparison to similar Savage models can sometimes get a rough date.
Old 04-02-2021, 01:26 PM
Catt57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Here are the pics.
Thanks for your help Sav22.

Last edited by Catt57; 04-02-2021 at 01:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2021, 02:23 PM
Sav22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The first info showing the black tipped stocks (The Buckhorn series) is dated Aug 1935. It still pictures the earlier large cocking knob but the description mentions 'independent safety' so I'm not sure if the picture is correct or not. The large cocking knob is finally shown gone in material dated Jan 3, 1939, it had been removed from the pictures of the repeaters much earlier. All listings up to this point for the 53 show it with a hooded front and the No 100 peep sight. May 12, 1939 is the first listing I have of the a version of the Model 53 without the peep sight and hooded front sight, so I would put yours after this date - it also shows a large cocking knob again but then that is gone in the next catalog from 1940.

All of these catalogs just list it as the 53 without any letters. The dated parts catalogs I have for the Savage version are of no help, they eventually add the 3C to the listing but they have the same old parts list with out any updated newer bolt parts.

The last separate Stevens catalog I have dated from 1947 still list the 53 the same as the 1940. After this one Savage & Stevens are all in the same catalog.

Last edited by Sav22; 04-02-2021 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-02-2021, 02:32 PM
Catt57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav22 View Post
The first info showing the black tipped stocks (The Buckhorn series) is dated Aug 1935. It still pictures the earlier large cocking knob but the description mentions 'independent safety' so I'm not sure if the picture is correct or not. The large cocking knob is finally shown gone in material dated Jan 3, 1939, it had been removed from the pictures of the repeaters much earlier. All listings up to this point for the 53 show it with a hooded front and the No 100 peep sight. May 12, 1939 is the first listing I have of the a version of the Model 53 without the peep sight and hooded front sight, so I would put yours after this date - it also shows a large cocking knob again but then that is gone in the next catalog from 1940.

All of these catalogs just list it as the 53 without any letters. The dated parts catalogs I have for the Savage version are of no help, they eventually add the 3C to the listing but they have the same old parts list with out any updated newer bolt parts.

The last separate Stevens catalog I have dated from 1947 still list the 53 the same as the 1940. After this one Savage & Stevens are all in the same catalog.

So since it does not have the date code I'm guessing this means 1940-1947 (Maybe 1948). I had always thought it was much later (1950s-1960s) but then when I realized there was no date code I began to wonder.

You are a great asset to this community.
Thank you.