Savage 87A bolt locks closed (Charging handle not locked) - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-31-2021, 09:44 PM
penguinthered

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Savage 87A bolt locks closed (Charging handle not locked)

I'm trying to get my dad's old Savage 87A back into firing condition. The bolt was locked closed for decades, not because of the push-in lock with the charging handle, but some other force keeping it locked closed. Today I finally got it open with the help of a rubber tap hammer, and proceeded to completely disassemble, clean, and lubricate it; all the way down to removing and cleaning the extractors and springs. When I put it back together the bolt traveled smoothly, right up to the point where it locks, whereupon it will not unlock. I haven't handled this gun in any meaningful sense since I was a kid 30 years ago, so there might be some trick to make it cycle which has been lost to the depths of what passes for my memory... Or it might be some kind of mechanical fault. Anybody have any insight on this?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 06-01-2021, 09:39 AM
72coupe
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My guess, and it is purely a guess, is that it has something to do with the lifter.
Old 06-01-2021, 03:36 PM
grouseman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What you have to do is take it all apart again, then put back the breach block. See if it operates smoothly. Then put in the hammer. Check again. Then put in the firing pin, etc.

Yeah, getting the lifter and its spring and the cartridge guide aligned so it all works smoothly can sometimes be an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2021, 06:39 PM
Catt57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinthered View Post
I'm trying to get my dad's old Savage 87A back into firing condition. The bolt was locked closed for decades, not because of the push-in lock with the charging handle, but some other force keeping it locked closed. Today I finally got it open with the help of a rubber tap hammer, and proceeded to completely disassemble, clean, and lubricate it; all the way down to removing and cleaning the extractors and springs. When I put it back together the bolt traveled smoothly, right up to the point where it locks, whereupon it will not unlock. I haven't handled this gun in any meaningful sense since I was a kid 30 years ago, so there might be some trick to make it cycle which has been lost to the depths of what passes for my memory... Or it might be some kind of mechanical fault. Anybody have any insight on this?

Thanks in advance!!

Is the lifter backwards?

It should look like this..

Old 06-01-2021, 07:35 PM
penguinthered

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt57 View Post
Is the lifter backwards?

You were right, it's the lifter. I take it that it's not supposed to be up when the bolt is in battery, when I loosened it out with a pair of pliers the bolt unlocked and cycled, but when I let it go again it stuck up again and locked the bolt.

Looks like the spring is oriented correctly based on your photo, any insight?

Also if you have a link to an Amazon wishlist or anything please share, I'd like to get you something to say thank you!

Old 06-01-2021, 07:41 PM
penguinthered

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Was trying to post a pic of mine, let me try again:

Old 06-01-2021, 07:42 PM
penguinthered

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well FFS here is a link to the picture at any rate:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AhB...ew?usp=sharing
Old 06-01-2021, 07:50 PM
Sav22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's a picture from Numrich showing what the lifter should look like, it may have one prong worn, broken, or bent.

Here's a link to some other information that might help, there are patent pictures that show the operation - rimfirecentral.com/showthread=1210549

Last edited by Sav22; 06-01-2021 at 09:42 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
Old 06-01-2021, 08:22 PM
penguinthered

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav22 View Post
Here's a picture from Numrich showing what the lister should look like, it may have one prong worn, broken, or bent.

Here's a link to some other information that might help, there are patent pictures that show the operation - rimfirecentral.com/showthread=1210549
That's helpful, thank! I pulled the lifter and it does look rounded off where the one you posted is sharp... No signs of wear but this could have happened over the course of a half century of use. This likely my culprit?

Old 06-01-2021, 08:29 PM
penguinthered

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
That's helpful, thank! I pulled the lifter and it does look rounded off where the one you posted is sharp... No signs of wear but this could have happened over the course of a half century of use. This likely my culprit?

Eep, scratch that... One listed for sale here looks just like the one I pulled
Old 06-01-2021, 09:10 PM
Catt57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt57 View Post
Is the lifter backwards?

You were right, it's the lifter. I take it that it's not supposed to be up when the bolt is in battery, when I loosened it out with a pair of pliers the bolt unlocked and cycled, but when I let it go again it stuck up again and locked the bolt.

Looks like the spring is oriented correctly based on your photo, any insight?

Also if you have a link to an Amazon wishlist or anything please share, I'd like to get you something to say thank you!

Appreciate the offer but Thanks is quite enough.

If you can post a picture of how it looks assembled that might help.
Old 06-07-2021, 05:36 PM
penguinthered

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
THANKS!!!

Just wanted to say thanks to you all for your help! I ordered a new lifter online, installed it today, and now the rifle cycles perfectly. Sure enough the old lifter was worn. I can't wait to teach my kids to shoot on the same rifle my dad used to teach me. Y'all are the best!
Old 06-07-2021, 11:16 PM
Catt57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Just wanted to say thanks to you all for your help! I ordered a new lifter online, installed it today, and now the rifle cycles perfectly. Sure enough the old lifter was worn. I can't wait to teach my kids to shoot on the same rifle my dad used to teach me. Y'all are the best!
Glad to hear it! Enjoy your "new" rifle.