Any ideas for a broken tennite (plastic) stock - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-14-2021, 06:40 PM
Sub sailor
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Any ideas for a broken tennite (plastic) stock

I picked up a Stevens 22-410 with a tennite stock that is broken at the wrist. Other than replacing it with a wood stock, does anyone have any suggestions for possible repair of this type of stock? Anyone have experience with repairing this type of stock and suggestions for a bonding agent? Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:35 PM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's pretty much impossible to bond it. It's not considered repairable.
i.e. https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...tenite.158849/
Old 04-14-2021, 07:55 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is it hollow? Can you fill the void with epoxy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2021, 10:09 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc. View Post
Is it hollow? Can you fill the void with epoxy?
Yeah that, with a steel bolt buried the length of the epoxy for further reenforcement.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:34 AM
schutzen-jager
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
harbor freight plastic welder ?

https://www.harborfreight.com/weldin...c-welders.html
Old 04-15-2021, 11:02 AM
Catt57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It's not like modern plastics. It would be closer to something like Bakelite.

Check this post from the high road.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph.../#post-1947872

"Tennite is impervious to any glue known to Mr.
Fixit and the only repair known to work is welding
with a soldering iron which is pretty ugly and only
temporary."

Last edited by Catt57; 04-15-2021 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:43 PM
Etpm

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Henkel, the makers of Loctite, has a guide to adhesives that mentions Tenite and which adhesives will bond it. You would need to determine if any of the adhesives appropriate. See the link: https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...AI91-YqwIXw07x
The link is for a pdf that has the info. Good luck.
Eric
Old 04-17-2021, 08:34 AM
Sub sailor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Etpm, that looks like a really good link, however before I saw it I decided to try something that so far looks very promising. Someone prior to me tried some sort of adhesive that obviously failed. Being stubborn, I looked at available bonding agents at a hardware store and decided to try JB Weld. They make some faster curing versions but I wanted the highest strength I could find which means that it set up in 4 to 6 hours and reached full strength in 15 to 24 hours and was good for 5020 psi.

I cleaned up the joints and removed the old failed adhesive which was very brittle. I aligned the pieces and screwed in the stock screw which held the two major parts together. The pieces did not fit perfectly and there were some gaps to fill as well. I mixed some JB Weld and slathered it on making sure to fill the cracks. I only slightly tightened the stock screw and let it set to cure. After curing it didn't look too bad, but I still had to build up some areas so I mixed up a little more JB Weld and filled in low areas. After the second layer cured, the stock wrist appears to be stronger than the original. I took a wood rasp and filed down to the contour of the stock. The JB Weld appears very strong and was solid as I filed it down. It was very much like filing a hard wood.

I still need to try to blend in some checkering as the break was through an area of checkering on the wrist. The JB Weld is grey but the stock is brown. Once I blend in some checkering (if I actually get that ambitious) a little brown spray paint will make the repair less obvious. Before I do that, I need to take it to the range and see if it breaks in half after the first shot. I will keep you informed but I am very encouraged by this JB Weld fix.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:49 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Is there any space inside the stock that a re-enforcement (like re-bar in cement) of alum or even a piece of wood can be J-B W'ed in? The strength would be greatly improved over basically the thin butt joints you have now.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:52 AM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Nice job Sub sailor.

Nice job Sub sailor. Please report after the range. And if you know how (I don't) share some photos. I have a .22/.410 with one of those stocks which has a chip out of the end of the stock. I will have the gun for sale at an upcoming gun show but if it doesn't sell, will try and get that part fixed.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:40 AM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You've got surface tension holding it together, not an actual chemical bond. I hope it works out, but it's basically like attaching two pieces of glass or steel with epoxy or CA.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:44 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub sailor View Post
decided to try JB Weld.
I aligned the pieces and screwed in the stock screw which held the two major parts together.
I will keep you informed but I am very encouraged by this JB Weld fix.
Looking forward to your report with one suggestion; no battle rolls with it.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:28 PM
Sub sailor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Is there any space inside the stock that a re-enforcement (like re-bar in cement) of alum or even a piece of wood can be J-B W'ed in? The strength would be greatly improved over basically the thin butt joints you have now.
Where the break is located there is no extra room for any additional reinforcement. However the tapered threaded tube that extends from the receiver to accept the stock screw is right in the center of the break area. I had to replace the stock screw because it had a slight bend to it. So it does have some metal running through the center of the repair. I had to put silicone grease on the tapered threaded tube as a release agent so the JB Weld would not adhere to it. I still wanted to be able to remove the stock and that worked really well.

Last edited by Sub sailor; 04-17-2021 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-18-2021, 03:46 PM
toomanyguns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hope your mend holds up. My first gun at 7 yrs. old was just like your little .22/.410.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:16 AM
Sub sailor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Looking forward to your report with one suggestion; no battle rolls with it.
I took the gun to the range today and avoided any battle rolls! . I started with a few 2 1/2 inch .410 shells and the gun worked great. The gun is chambered for 3 inch shells and I figured that would be the real test. I had some #6 shot 3 inch shells and loaded up one. No problems. The wrist joint repair held up. I shot a total of 8 - 2 1/2 inch shells, 10 - 3 inch and a hand full 22 LR. The repair worked and there wasn't any evidence of cracking or other evidence of failure at the location of the repair. The JB Weld worked great!!!! I could have probably shot hundreds of rounds of 3 inch shells without a problem. If I can figure out how to post photos, I will try to do so in the next few days.