Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-25-2016, 09:42 PM
Wmcook

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Marlin Aftermarket Barrels

Marlin Aftermarket Barrels

What I donít know about Marlin 22 autoís could fill volumes. From the clip fed 99M1, 795, 70, 989M2A, 995 or the tub feed 60 and their various variants, it seems to me that thereís just a smidgen of difference in fit and function. From 10,000 feet there seems to be one basic difference; we have tube feed versus clip feed.

I do know the difference from the early model Marlins that had the narrow rear trigger assembly versus the later model Marlinís with the wider trigger assembly at the rear (nearest the butt plate) and the last shot hold open feature. And Iím sure a Marlin expert could pick out another couple dozen differences that Iím unaware of.

With Arrowdodgerís support we converted a 989 stock to accept a 795 barreled action. That was kind of exciting for me since I was starting out with a 2016 barreled action and putting it in a traditional 1980ís walnut stock. That was kind of cool.

Just for clarification. I have a Ruger 10/22 and do not want another. What I want is improved accuracy by bolting aftermarket barrels to the original action. Short story; I shoot Daisy 499Bís to start my grandkids off on gun safety and basic shooting principles. All Daisy 499Bís shoot great. But some shoot greater than others. As a user all I have to do is buy a few Daisy barreled assemblies and swap them out until I improve the accuracy. Itís all in the barrel. Trust me on this one. I shoot center fire benchrest centerfire with the 6PPC in 10.5 and 13.5 lb rigs. Barrels either shoot, kind of shoot or they donít shoot.

I donít want this thread to go down the rabbit hole of finding the optimum ammunition to satisfy the barrel. Yep to the nth degree you can tweak a marginal barrel to shoot with a specific lot of 22 rimfire ammunition. But what Iím looking for is $100 - $200 barrels that will pin to the actions of the most prolific action/stock that Marlin produced.

I know the Ruger 10/22 has this option and they have it in spades. What I want to see that it come to the Marlin side. The downside is that I donít know where the biggest bang for the buck is. Letís say we produce 100 to 200 barrels. There must be the understanding that they need to pin up to standard actions with the variety of stocks that were produced for.

So I have two problems. What models (99M1, 989M2A, 60, 70, 995 etc..) do you target and If you would produced 200 barrels for the Marlin what action stock would it fit. Thanks Bill.
Old 12-25-2016, 10:21 PM
usmcmp
US Marines

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Personally, I would like to see some heavy barrels, 7000 style. My biggest concern is how difficult it really is to change a barrel. Can you give the new barrels micro groove rifling? That seems to be the major thing that lets these cheap rifles shoot so well.

Need to hear from a few people who have done barrel changes.

What about a new upper receiver to go with the barrels?
Old 12-25-2016, 11:01 PM
katman
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One reason, and probably the biggest reason you don't see aftermarket barrels for Marlin rimfires has to do with how the barrel is mated to the receiver. Where a 10/22 barrel is just pushed in by hand and held in place with a type of clamp, the Marlin barrels are pressed into the receiver with a crosspin to help keep them in place. The barrel can be removed, but it takes more effort to do so than most people are willing to spend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2016, 11:28 PM
upland1911

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have removed a 795 barrel and reinstalled a 7000 barrel on the 795 receiver. Not as difficult as i had anticipated.

Green Mountain made bull barrels for 795 action at one time, not sure if still available.

upland
Old 12-26-2016, 02:04 AM
trentb
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by upland1911 View Post
I have removed a 795 barrel and reinstalled a 7000 barrel on the 795 receiver. Not as difficult as i had anticipated.

Green Mountain made bull barrels for 795 action at one time, not sure if still available.

upland
I too have popped the barrel off of my 795. Wasn't as bad as I had read. Currently looking for a stainless one to send out to have threaded.

I think getting anyone to jump on board of getting a volume of barrels won't go anywhere. Most people are picking up the Marlins for inexpensive plinkers. If they want to spend money and replace parts, the 10/22 already has the well established market.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:53 PM
Wmcook

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Heck for what I was looking for I could just go to http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1245920A.htm and buy replacement barrels from Numrich. Same theory as what I do with Daisy 499's. Buy a few and see how they shoot. And for the price of a few barrels you could pick the best of the lot. Certainly would make a fun winter project. I have a shop that I can shoot corner to corner and get about a 20 yard range.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:08 PM
03a3guy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
While I love my Marlin Semiautos( 60, 795, 995), I'm not surprised at the scarcity of aftermarket barrels for them. If you look at the basic design, a splined, steel barrel press fit into a flexible, thin walled, diecast potmetal receiver does not lend itself to consistent results for swapping in high quality parts.

Surely, there have been a few "do it yourselfers" who have done so, and there have probably even been a few successful ones, but I don't think production of expensive, high quality barrels for these rifles would be a good business decision.

The major miracle here seems to be that Marlin has been able to produce this design for over 50 years and develop an enviable reputation for accuracy of the product.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:12 PM
Wmcook

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm a center fire bench rest shooter at heart. We typically spend $500 - $600 on a barrel and its threaded into an action and stock assembly that runs in the neighborhood of $3000. And the chances of th
Old 12-26-2016, 10:25 PM
Wmcook

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm a center fire bench rest shooter at heart. We typically spend $500 - $600 on a barrel and the chances of that barrel being competitive is about 50/50 or on the optimistic side maybe 60/40.

The chances of it being an exceptional barrel is much smaller than that.

So we're sitting on the fence here. Buy over the counter barrels from Marlin and try to find one that's better then another, (provided you can deal with "a spline, steel barrel press fit into a flexible, thin walled, die cast, pot metal receiver") or just be satisfied with what ever accuracy you have with your original purchase.

Rather than chasing dreams we might be better off accepting what ever accuracy you?

I've bought three 795's in the past couple months and hope I can add to the understanding of Marlin accuracy. The only twist is that a couple are going in wood stocks from the 70's and 80's and only one will be kept in its original plastic stock. It'll be fun any way you cut it. Thanks, Bill.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:59 PM
Squirrelbark
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
WmCook: When you shoot those 795's at 40 or 50 Yards, you will quickly see if one shoots better than the others. Let us know what kind of groups you get. Post your targets.

There are a few tricks to make them more accurate before you decide to put new barrels on them. Once you know how they shoot as is, we can help with that.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:48 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not long ago an engineer/gun nut friend of mine asked me if I thought a Marlin 80% receiver designed to accept 10/22 barrels would fly. Only mod the barrel would need is the 2nd extractor slot cut. He was never able to generate much interest; probably because there are 10/22 clone 80% receivers available.

Many moons ago there was a guy (maybe on RFC?) who machined an aluminum (Whistle pig?) 10/22 barrel to fit a 795 in order to have a ~3# 22 auto.

I've thought about making a sleeved aluminum barrel for my Papoose just for fun; I'm sitting in my home machine shop right now and still contemplating, lol.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:13 PM
03a3guy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wmcook
So we're sitting on the fence here. Buy over the counter barrels from Marlin and try to find one that's better then another, (provided you can deal with "a spline, steel barrel press fit into a flexible, thin walled, die cast, pot metal receiver") or just be satisfied with what ever accuracy you have with your original purchase.

Rather than chasing dreams we might be better off accepting what ever accuracy you?

I've bought three 795's in the past couple months and hope I can add to the understanding of Marlin accuracy. The only twist is that a couple are going in wood stocks from the 70's and 80's and only one will be kept in its original plastic stock. It'll be fun any way you cut it. Thanks, Bill.

I think you have discovered the fundamental truth about Marlin semi's. It is simply a rimfire design which can be produced quite economically and will deliver surprising "out of the box" accuracy. To make it a platform for precision modifications or enhancements would require almost a complete redesign.

In my opinion, the microgroove barrel is a major, if not the only, contributor to its accuracy and probably the last thing I would want to change. Many of the folks on this board have successfully improved the overall operation of the units with small refinements to the trigger, action, or bolt assembly. However, it is somewhere between extremely difficult and absolutely impossible to maintain a consistent geometry of these components because of the design. Simply put, the geometry is completely dependent on the torque applied to the two primary assembly screws and the shape of the stock inletting.

I have no experience with either Marlin centerfire products or their bolt action rimfires , but some of these may well be better candidates for upgrading.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:09 PM
Frosty

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm waiting on a stamp for a Huntertown suppressor. Will be using on a 795. Instead of repinning the barrel (that shoots great BTW), my machinist thinks he can strip the rifle down to the receiver and barrel, and chuck it up through the headstock. Then, thread away. I'm looking forward to an accurate, quiet rifle.