Correct Disassembly & Reassembly old magazines? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:54 PM
Amanda4461
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Correct Disassembly & Reassembly old magazines?

I made the mistake of taking one of my older metal-follower Model 41 magazines apart for cleaning today. It was quite grungy inside, and I wanted to give it a thorough cleaning. The floorplate came off after a brief struggle. I quickly decided it wouldn't come off like my 47D Wilson floorplates, as it seemed to need to be tilted and pulled down from the mag.The real problem was trying to figure out how it was supposed to go back on without bending hell out of it. I still can't figure that one out. Anyone know how to do this? I have plastic follower magazines that appear to be built the same way with regard to having a floorplate with the hole in the bottom. Since the metal floorplate off of the metal follower magazine snapped at the bend when I was attempting to tilt it into place, I will probably just use it for its parts. Ebay was a bust for new floorplates, and S&W doesn't seem to carry much for this old model, but Numrich had a few left and I got them while I could. Soon as I figure out this Rubik's Cube floorplate, I'll try and put this cleaned mag back together. Any help greatly appreciated!
I MAY have figured it out. Seems like the base plate on the old metal follower mag was weak and snapped at the joint from age fatigue. I slid a base plate off one of the plastic follower mags, held the spring on the metal follower magazine captive while compressed, and the floorplate from the plastic follower mag snapped into place on the metal follower mag. The design sucks from a cleaning standpoint, but at least I have a couple of new floorplates coming to replace the broken one, and in case I bust up another. Newer magazines don't have a hole for the spring stud, so I assume the stud was redesigned to save a buck. I guess you don't take the new ones apart? Blasphemy!

Last edited by Amanda4461; 12-23-2017 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Fixed it!