Ideas for Bolt catch filler? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:49 PM
sandcritter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ideas for Bolt catch filler?

Would like to delete the bolt catch release, as is inop on the cmm conversion and pruning grams where can. Havenít found a filler thru google; any suggestion? In interim, may chop one up in garage and see how it goes (leaving button, removing interior portion).
Old 03-24-2019, 01:55 PM
octanejunkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You can make it functional using the Catch-22 or Better Mag Adapter and SW mags

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2019, 04:02 PM
zukiphile
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandcritter View Post
Would like to delete the bolt catch release, as is inop on the cmm conversion and pruning grams where can.
If you are trimming grams, why are you adding a filler?

Old 03-24-2019, 07:38 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Jb weld quick
Old 03-24-2019, 08:58 PM
VASCAR2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If your wanting to fill the void by removing the bolt catch Iíd use black silicone/RTV for automotive applications. This material can take the heat plus could be removed later if you wanted to install the bolt catch. This type of silicone has been used to make gaskets for valve covers so should work.

Iíve never had an issue leaving the bolt catch in place with dedicated uppers and conversion kits. Any weight reduction would be minimal plus with my current lowers if I need to I can swap a rimfire to centerfire upper by pushing to captured pins.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:01 AM
sandcritter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by octanejunkie View Post
You can make it functional using the Catch-22 or Better Mag Adapter and SW mags

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Ahhh, think will try the catch-22. Thanks! Says works with cmmg conversion. It was the lack of function that made it worthless weight to me - itís my steel challeng gun, and while itíll never be custom 10/22 fast in transition, itís getting closer.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:49 AM
zukiphile

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandcritter View Post
Ahhh, think will try the catch-22.
You can omit the bolt catch spring and detent, and the Catch-22 still works. It may work even better that way.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:34 AM
ronnieh

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
where's mt detent?

[QUOTE=zukiphile;11416615]You can omit the bolt catch spring and detent, and the Catch-22 still works. It may work even better that way.[/QUOTE

My bolt catches have a spring but no detent. Were you referring to the recoil spring and detent?
Old 03-25-2019, 07:31 AM
zukiphile

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
[QUOTE=ronnieh;11416645]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
You can omit the bolt catch spring and detent, and the Catch-22 still works. It may work even better that way.[/QUOTE

My bolt catches have a spring but no detent. Were you referring to the recoil spring and detent?

Detent is the wrong word. DPMS calls it a buffer, the post on the left in the image below.

I have a lower in which the catch-22 works more authoritatively on the last round with the spring and buffer omitted.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:22 AM
Baltimoreed11754

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I swap a Seekins 300 blkout upper out with my cmmg .22 dedicated upper which live on my Seekins lower depending on what I feel like shooting. The .22 bolt locks back on my Black Dog mags follower. When I remove the mag it goes forward. Works fine. The bolt catch is only used for the 300 blkout. Didnít know someone made a 22 bolt catch. I wouldnít need one for my setup.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:28 AM
zukiphile

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoreed11754 View Post
When I remove the mag it goes forward. Works fine. The bolt catch is only used for the 300 blkout. Didn’t know someone made a 22 bolt catch. I wouldn’t need one for my setup.
The Catch-22 operates the same way the catch on an AR in 5.56 does, so after a magazine change one hits the bolt release rather than operate the charge handle.

It does require S&W 15-22 magazines which in turn require accommodation of their slightly smaller size.

I have a CMMG magazine. I find it tough to load the last few rounds, in part because it lacks a follower button, Also, it's the size of a 30 round magazine, which I don't need.

I can sling up and get into position with a short magazine that never gets in the way, and hit the bolt release. I don't need to carry any sort of reloader because of the follower button. Some people use the Catch-22 with Black Dog magazines just so they can keep the bolt locked open at ranges that require an open bolt. Some use S&W magazines and don't bother with a bolt hold open device just because they like the magazine better. I find the advantges of the catch-22 (or Better Mag Adapter) and 10 round short S&W magazines to accumulate into a better system overall.

Last edited by zukiphile; 03-25-2019 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:30 AM
octanejunkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoreed11754 View Post
I swap a Seekins 300 blkout upper out with my cmmg .22 dedicated upper which live on my Seekins lower depending on what I feel like shooting. The .22 bolt locks back on my Black Dog mags follower. When I remove the mag it goes forward. Works fine. The bolt catch is only used for the 300 blkout. Didnít know someone made a 22 bolt catch. I wouldnít need one for my setup.
If you don't mind the bolt holding open on the follower that's fine. If you want BHO capability for mag swaps that is when we look at an adapter.

The Catch-22 will dedicate the lower to a 22 upper, the BMA is removable without the use of tools and uses a standard bolt catch.

Both of these rely on SW mags. The BMA has an integrated ramp that shims the magwell for the smaller SW mags. The Catch-22 requires either shimming the mags themselves or the magwell.

The Catch-22 is more of a committed option than the BMA, in my opinion.

Last edited by octanejunkie; 03-25-2019 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:25 AM
Gripen

TPC Rating: 
96% (24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by octanejunkie View Post
If you don't mind the bolt holding open on the follower that's fine. If you want BHO capability for mag swaps that is when we look at an adapter.

The Catch-22 will dedicate the lower to a 22 upper, the BMA is removable without the use of tools and uses a standard bolt catch.

Both of these rely on SW mags. The BMA has an integrated ramp that shims the magwell for the smaller SW mags. The Catch-22 requires either shimming the mags themselves or the magwell.

The Catch-22 is more of a committed option than the BMA, in my opinion.

All this got me thinking again, why did I buy a Catch-22 instead of a BMA? Then I checked Redi-Mag's website, and remembered:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redi-Mag
The BMA II will not work with Chiappa, DPMS and Tactical Solutions.

Oh well.