Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Is this B-48A 10/22 Guide Rod Assembly broken?

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Toomany22s 
#1 ·
Hi

I'm a beginner of the shooting sports. I bought a brand new Ruger 10/22 Carbine Stainless model on 07/16, and yesterday I used it for my second shooting.

Today when I tried to clean it and disassembled the receiver, the Cocking Handle and the Guide Rod with the spring jumped out and disassembled themselves. I tried to set them back but the handle will not stay to hold the spring. I have pictures of it but I don't know how to upload it to this message.

Is it broken or I have to know how to reset it? If it is broken, is it a bad item I met because I just used it shooting about total 400 rounds. Is it so easy to be broken?

Any advice a very welcomed.

Thank you.

#2 ·
If it is a factory guide rod it should not have come apart unless they have changed them. Aftermarket ones may or may not be captured. Here is a video of the Kidd guide rod (not captured). You should be able to reinstall it like this.

#8 ·
If you watch that Kidd video you can get yours installed and working until the replacement comes. The Kidd is better because the Rod is Smoother, so it run better. Also it comes with a variety of springs so you can run different strength ammo LV!, Sv, hv, etc. you’ll find that Sv is generally the most accurate. I personally like the stock charging handles size , so if I were you I’d keep it and use it on the Kidd rod. Sort of stealth.:D

Sorry this happened to you, it can be frustrating at times , but well worth the effort, and a lot of fun:bthumb:

Welcome aboard!

#9 · (Edited)
Hi

Today when I tried to clean it and disassembled the receiver, the Cocking Handle and the Guide Rod with the spring jumped out and disassembled themselves. I tried to set them back but the handle will not stay to hold the spring.

Is it broken or I have to know how to reset it? Is it so easy to be broken?

Any advice a very welcomed.

Thank you.
In my opinion, it is handy, especially for someone new to the rifle to have the assembly intact but it is not necessary. Polish the rod while it is out--it is a common modification--reassemble it and save your money, it will work fine.

If it is too fiddly, get a Ruger replacement as it is warranty, no? If you were going to buy other aftermarket parts, sure, throw in an after market guide rod but as a stand alone order?

#10 ·
Ruger's OEM recoil spring/guide rod/charging handle are staked together as a unit. Every so often, the staking isn't adequate and they separate. I had this happen with one of my 10/22s. A call to Ruger got me a free replacement so that's what you should do first.

It's a bit awkward but it's perfectly possible to fit the recoil spring/guide rod/charging handle into the 10/22 receiver as separate items and they will work fine. Kidd's version is used just this way.

Also, Tactical Innovations sells guide rods with either a groove or hole in the end to capture the spring with a small e-clip or hairpin cotter. They allows disassembly for cleaning and and let you customize the spring if you want to experiment with the ease of installation of a one-piece unit

#11 ·
Hi Toomany22s

Thank you for your advice. I watched the KIDD's video and practiced twice. Finally, I made it. Now I can remove and install the separated the rod and spring with the handle easily.

I think Ruger will send me a replacement later. I will also buy a KIDD one.

#13 ·
Hi 22/45 Fan,

Thank you for your advice. I contacted Ruger service this afternoon and they told me that they would send me a replacement.

I also learned how to reinstall the separated handle with the rod and successfully reinstalled them. Now I can use my 10/22 and I'm very happy because I don't need to worry about it happens again.

Thank you.

#14 ·
You are welcome BobF , it’s a pleasure to meet you You are very polite. That’s nice and a pleasant reminder to me to be the same. Not always the case for me. :eek:
I’m glad you got it going. It is a snake dance but Mr. Kidd has very good instructions. Next time it’s out polish the rod. It’s the important part.

Another good tip is use Hornady Dri Lube Spray. It’s fantastic.

#15 ·
Hi Toomany22s,

Thank you for your message.

Yes, I will polish the rod next time.

Is the name of the gun cleaner spry "HORNADY - ONE SHOT GUN CLEANER & DRY LUBE"? I found it at Amazon.com. I will have a try.

Thank you and have a good weekend!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.