Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-07-2020, 08:52 PM
Trailmaster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Case thickness?

So I've got some custom CNC'd brass ordered for an WMR/HMR sized cartridge I'm developing, and I need to finalize the interior dimensions in the next few days. Knowing the case thickness of the 17 WSM would be helpful in determining what I want to do, but I can't find it anywhere.

Is there any chance one of you fine gentleman (or women) would mind cutting a fired case in half and providing some measurements and perhaps a picture or two?
Old 01-08-2020, 07:56 AM
jaia
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have one that didn't fire last weekend.
Tried 4 times but no bang.
Been meaning to pull it apart to inspect the components.
What do you need miked?
Old 01-08-2020, 11:45 AM
Trailmaster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What I'm most interested in is the wall thickness at the base and the neck, with the ability to see the entire cross section being most ideal. That being said, I'll take whatever I can get if you dont have the desire or means to bisect the entire case. Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2020, 01:38 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I never miked the hummer and 17WSM when I dremeled em in half but the whizzer was around 2X thicker than the hummer up the base and the rim. My pix of em took a hike somehow.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:08 PM
Glass37
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailmaster View Post
So I've got some custom CNC'd brass ordered for an WMR/HMR sized cartridge I'm developing, and I need to finalize the interior dimensions in the next few days. Knowing the case thickness of the 17 WSM would be helpful in determining what I want to do, but I can't find it anywhere.

Is there any chance one of you fine gentleman (or women) would mind cutting a fired case in half and providing some measurements and perhaps a picture or two?
Very early in the 17WSM saga NV Reloader did measure these 17WSM cases at .0010 on both ends.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:56 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass37 View Post
Very early in the 17WSM saga NV Reloader did measure these 17WSM cases at .0010 on both ends.
Back a few years ago myself and a few others sent him fired cases to measure.

I haven't seen him post in a very long time, does anyone know if he's ok or did he just move on to another project or ?????
Old 01-08-2020, 05:16 PM
Trailmaster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass37 View Post
That would seem correct for the neck but I have a hard time believing the base wall is that thin. I suppose anything is possible. Maybe the "extra thickness" described by many articles is relegated to the rim itself?
Old 01-08-2020, 07:58 PM
mtiehen

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I co-own a CNC shop, and with the expense I would expect for programming and such for custom brass, I would say investing in a box of 17WSM would be a great idea. You could cut 5-10 of them and get a more accurate average than a few random replies.

Having said that, I’m not in the shop again for a week or so, but I could send you a few dozen cases if you need.

I also do recall that the case wall was the same throughout the case on the few fired and new I cut up.

Good luck! Sounds like an interesting project!
Old 01-08-2020, 09:12 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailmaster View Post
That would seem correct for the neck but I have a hard time believing the base wall is that thin. I suppose anything is possible. Maybe the "extra thickness" described by many articles is relegated to the rim itself?
Noo, its also much thicker at the base of the case sidewall also. I don't remember how thick the neck was but vaguely remember it being thinner.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:19 PM
Trailmaster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah the brass wasn't cheap. I would just buy a box but I didn't really want to cut a case in half with the primer compound still active. I could always pull the bullet and powder, that would make it a lot less frightening.

All this company does is custom cartridge brass, so I largely trust their judgement in the dimensions I didn't specify, but I would appreciate a point of reference from a somewhat similarly sized/pressure cartridge.

Please post the info if any of come across it. If I get desperate enough to buy a box and cut a few cases I'll be sure to post a picture or two with some measurements.

Edit: I just realized I misread you post mtiehen. I might take you up on that depending on how things go the next couple of days.

Last edited by Trailmaster; 01-08-2020 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:54 AM
Glass37
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow, I went back and reread NVreloader's post on the case measurements. I should not trust my 75 year old memory, from his post: case head thickness .026-.027, case wall at rim .024-.026 case 1/4" above rim .021-.022. My measurement of case mouth thickness came out at .009-.010

Also used too many "0" in previous post. I will proof read myself a couple times now, been dealing with some post surgery right eye issues for 6 months.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:12 PM
Trailmaster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just what I needed! This is perfect, thank you.