Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:39 PM
KRAZO

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab View Post
I think it's important to note that triggers do not make guns more accurate. They make shooters more accurate. My 10/22 magnum has the worst trigger I have ever experienced. I had pretty much written it off as being inaccurate. Pretty badly at that. Then I tried 30gr Vmax. It'll shoot sub MOA 3 shot groups at 100 yards even with the horrible trigger. Do not write the gun off as needing work until you have tried a lot of different ammo.
I'll take all the help I can get. But your right, I should try more variety in the gun. I primarily feed it winchester 40gr jhp. however ive got a few other varieties I need to get back to the range with and see what they can do.

but I do plan to try adjusting the trigger. i think i'm goint to try the vq sear/spring kit. and i'll prob tackle the bolt as well with one of the shim kits. we'll see where this gets it.
Old 12-21-2019, 03:54 PM
rhanks

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
While you are at it, you may want to replace the firing pin spring. You can get on oem spring or an extra power spring. This is cheap insurance to maintain good ignition.
Old 12-22-2019, 06:46 AM
AveragEd
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZO View Post
I'll take all the help I can get. But your right, I should try more variety in the gun. I primarily feed it winchester 40gr jhp. however ive got a few other varieties I need to get back to the range with and see what they can do.

but I do plan to try adjusting the trigger. i think i'm goint to try the vq sear/spring kit. and i'll prob tackle the bolt as well with one of the shim kits. we'll see where this gets it.
For what it's worth, and it may have been suggested in a prior post, CCI Standard Velocity ammunition is very good stuff. It is literally the same thing as their much more expensive Green Tag Match ammo except it is not loaded on a machine selected for its powder charge and crimp consistency. That information was provided to me by a former CCI engineer. And in fact CCI SV ammo is actually more accurate in my 77/22 than Green Tag! The "good stuff" does better in my Precision Rifle but in most of the rest of my 22s, SV really works!

Next, I am not belittling the products sold online for bolt shimming but my gunsmith believes that removing a tad bit of material from each half of the bolt and then fabricating a slightly thicker shim is better as the thicker shim wears more slowly. I had him do my 77/22's bolt as well as "blueprint" the rest of the action and it was $85 well-spent as the rifle now will put 10 rounds into one ragged hole at 50 yards when I do my part.

Ed
Old 12-22-2019, 09:30 PM
James Cottrell
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to James Cottrell
I have a late model, screwed in barrel, fiber stock(not boat paddle style). I did the Volquartsen sear and spring, what a difference. I had to get higher rings with a Nikon 3x9 EFR scope. Now it shoots along with my CZ 452.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:34 PM
chsparkman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought one of the first 77/22's with the Zytel stock back in 1989. For the longest time the accuracy just wasn't what it should have been. About 2" groups at 50 yards. About 6 years ago I read on this forum about shimming the bolt. I bought the shims and installed them and from that time on it's been my most accurate rimfire, easily getting .5" 5-shot groups at 50 yards. Head shots on squirrels are no longer a problem with that rifle.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:26 PM
KRAZO

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chsparkman View Post
I bought one of the first 77/22's with the Zytel stock back in 1989. For the longest time the accuracy just wasn't what it should have been. About 2" groups at 50 yards. About 6 years ago I read on this forum about shimming the bolt. I bought the shims and installed them and from that time on it's been my most accurate rimfire, easily getting .5" 5-shot groups at 50 yards. Head shots on squirrels are no longer a problem with that rifle.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Iíve been dragging my feet on ordering the shims and trigger kit. Busy with the holidays. No excuse now. I need to just get it done.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:15 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
22 LR ammo is such a crap shoot! I would suggest a green mountain 16 inch fluted tapered barrel and see how it does. It will have a tighter chamber but again ammo is such a big factor.
Old 01-05-2020, 06:41 AM
KRAZO

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc. View Post
22 LR ammo is such a crap shoot! I would suggest a green mountain 16 inch fluted tapered barrel and see how it does. It will have a tighter chamber but again ammo is such a big factor.

This is a 22 WMR not that that should make big difference, it has problems of its own. But it would serve me well to spend more time at the range finding what this rifle likes best. But really my original question is what might give me good results for fewest dollars spent? Most bang for my buck. Iím gunna start with bolt shims and trigger work. I can do this for about $50.
Old 01-05-2020, 11:31 AM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZO View Post
This is a 22 WMR not that that should make big difference, it has problems of its own. But it would serve me well to spend more time at the range finding what this rifle likes best. But really my original question is what might give me good results for fewest dollars spent? Most bang for my buck. Iím gunna start with bolt shims and trigger work. I can do this for about $50.
I suggest that you perform the bolt shim and the trigger work separately, to see what each mod contributes to the accuracy of the rifle. I shot five groups with an unmodified rifle to set the baseline. Then I installed the Volquartsen trigger kit and shot five more groups with the same ammo, then added the bolt shim for a third set of five groups. There was an improvement with the Volquartsen trigger, but an even bigger improvement with the shim kit. I don't think the order of modification is important. Good luck and have fun shooting!
Old 01-05-2020, 07:34 PM
AubMassCoyote

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looking at those targets, especially the second one, it doesn't seem like you have to worry about accuracy.

What is a "boat paddle" rifle?
Old 01-07-2020, 09:36 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (94)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Fisherman View Post
I recommend looking a CPC. They have a very good reputation on RFC, and the prices are reasonable.

http://ct-precision.com/
+1. You'll not be sorry.