Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:06 PM
dwhipper61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
DCW sticky mag and stovepiping

Hello,

First post here, but have been reading this site for a while. I recently purchased a 50th Anniversary design contest winning rifle. Bought for my 9 year old Son to use in 4H shooting sports. I like the modular stock that will grow with him.

First time shooting rifle the mags are very hard to remove and had one stovepipe. Ran about 50 rounds through rifle. 2nd time out we had a least one stovepipe per mag in three different factory 10 round mags. Trying different ammo made no difference. All mags are difficult for me to remove and impossible for my Son to remove.

All three mags function perfectly and drop freely in my other wood stock 10/22.

From searching here, I plan to do some light sanding on the stock to help with the mag release.

Could the tight mag be contributing to the stovepipes? The rifle has only had about 120 rounds fired and only a very simple cleaning. I have read some of the threads about stovepipe fixes.....should I send a few more rounds down range before attempting a fix?

THANKS for any and all comments
Old 08-06-2015, 12:22 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Sand the outer walls/sides of the mag well..I use a sponge sanding block (Lowes) cut to fit the mag well..300ish grit...obviously remove the barreled action first.

Action:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...ht=CrotchBrite

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=251031

http://shootersdiscount.com/cart/acc...extractor.html

Then use Dry Lube inside the Rec/on the bolt and handle assembly ..

Last edited by Chaser; 08-06-2015 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:32 PM
FiremanBob
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The sticking magazines have nothing to do with the stovepipe problem.

If you follow Chaser's recommendations for slicking up the action, you may not need a new extractor. But if those don't work, get a Volquartsen or Kidd extractor. Your rifle is very new and it can take a brick or so of ammo for the parts to "bed in" so that the bolt moves smoothly without sticking.

There is one other possible cause of your stovepipes - shooter error. If the rifle is not held securely enough in the shoulder, such that it moves backward under recoil, the breech face of the barrel can contact the ejected shell before the shell is thrown clear. Some members here mock the idea, but I see a great many beginning shooters on Appleseed lines and it does happen with a few.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:24 AM
dwhipper61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the comments. I did some sanding on the stock and two of the mags work great. The third is still a little difficult. Will do a little more work this weekend.

Going to use the scotchbrite on the receiver and clean and reassemble this weekend and try it out........

THANKS for the help.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:13 PM
dwhipper61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I tried the rifle again. Magazines work much better. Still had a few stovepipes. May try a little more smoothing in the receiver and a Volquartsen extractor and buffer. It is pretty frustrating since the rifle is for my Son to use in 4H.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:30 AM
dwhipper61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ran a couple boxes of CCI stingers through rifle yesterday with zero malfunctions.......
Old 08-20-2015, 08:28 AM
FiremanBob
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Now that's good news. Keep that chamber clean (and the bolt face, and the inside of the receiver) and you'll have many thousands of rounds of fun with your 10/22.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:05 AM
dwhipper61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
THANKS.....My Son enjoyed his evening a lot more using the stingers.....although he did receive some quality education on clearing jams in previous range trips.

I'm hoping that after the rifle has a few more rounds and "breaks in" we can go back to standard velocity bulk ammo. I did order the Kidd extractor, but have not installed it yet.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:06 AM
dwhipper61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hello, Wanted to bring this back up.....My Son has been using the rife for several weeks running CCI mini mags with no problems. Last night I decided to try some more Federal Auto match. We had two jams in the first mag and one in the second mag. I have been calling them stove pipes, but not sure if that is the correct term. The spent casing is getting caught in the chamber and smashed by the bolt. I am not sure it the bolt is cycling all the way or if something else is happening.

As suggested previously, I cleaned and smoothed the inside if the receiver. I have been leaving the rifle stored with the action open. I ordered a Kidd buffer and extractor, but have not installed them yet, since the mini mags were working. I have a few pics of the jams, but am unable to post them.

I guess my next step is to install the extractor. If that does not work chamfer the bolt? I would really like this rifle to work like my other 10/22s and reliably function with any ammo.

THANKS
Old 09-24-2015, 08:21 AM
stevebla
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounds just like my dcw. My issues were resolved by use, and cleaning and removing over spray on the inside of the receiver. I also installed the Kidd extractor and am very happy with my rifle now. I used some 400 g sand paper on mag well and on the magazines. Magazines drop free now except sometimes with the bolt open. My rifle shoots cci sv very well plan to try some mid grade standard velocity stuff soon.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:14 AM
Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhipper61 View Post

i guess my next step is to install the extractor. if that does not work chamfer the bolt?

thanks
yes...but do both..now!

RT or KID Charging Handle assembly will help a BUNCH as well...much better than a OEM!

Last edited by Chaser; 09-24-2015 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:28 AM
rawhp
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhipper61 View Post
Hello, Wanted to bring this back up.....My Son has been using the rife for several weeks running CCI mini mags with no problems. Last night I decided to try some more Federal Auto match. We had two jams in the first mag and one in the second mag. I have been calling them stove pipes, but not sure if that is the correct term. The spent casing is getting caught in the chamber and smashed by the bolt. I am not sure it the bolt is cycling all the way or if something else is happening.

As suggested previously, I cleaned and smoothed the inside if the receiver. I have been leaving the rifle stored with the action open. I ordered a Kidd buffer and extractor, but have not installed them yet, since the mini mags were working. I have a few pics of them, but am unable to post them.

I guess my next step is to install the extractor. If that does not work chamfer the bolt? I would really like this rifle to work like my other 10/22s and reliably function with any ammo.

THANKS
If the spent case is staying in the chamber, then there's a good chance it's because of a combination of a dirty chamber and a weak round. With a blow back design, the spent case extracts itself, since it is what pushes the bolt back to cycle (as opposed to a recoil design). The extractor holds the case to the bolt as it cycles until the ejector hits the rear of the case (and out the port). If the case remains in the chamber, and the bolt hasn't cycled far back enough to pick up the next round, then the problem is likely to be primarily a dirty chamber holding the case in, and secondarily a weak round in the bunch.
Sometimes you can have a situation where the case remains in the chamber, but the bolt actually cycles enough to pick up the next round, which jams against the spent case. I think that's also due to a combination of a dirty chamber.

CCI is clean burning ammo, Automatch is dirtier, plus I've found it to have more occasional weak rounds too. Cleaning the chamber more frequently with dirtier ammo should solve the problem (after you've done some work smoothing the action). The extractor will help, but only so much. The smoothing, will help with underpowered rounds.

Last edited by rawhp; 09-24-2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:31 AM
Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Chamber Cleaning is a MUST.

http://www.gunsmithertools.com/brush...ool/index.html
Old 09-24-2015, 11:39 AM
dwhipper61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks again for the comments. I may not have been clear in my other posts, but the spent casing is leaving the chamber, it is not fully exiting the ejection port. When a malfunction happens the spent case it pinched between the bolt face and the front of the ejection port in any combination of positions. Usually the next round is stripped from the mag and partially fed into the chamber.

I will install the Kidd extractor. I will need to find someone more qualified than myself to chamfer the bolt.

Regarding the Kidd charging handle: Will that make it easier for my Son to cycle the action? At nine years old he has a hard time charging the rifle, but he gets it done.

THANKS
Old 09-24-2015, 11:51 AM
Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Chamfer the rear of the bolt and add a KIDD handle assembly (Handle/Rod/Spring) as it WILL be smoother and easier to charge..you will pick up some advance in the timing of the action and the addition of the new BETTER extractor your problems will go away...IF you keep the chamber clean

The bolt work can be done on a bench grinder or a belt sander..then sand it smooth and polish.
Read up...
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=251031

Last edited by Chaser; 09-24-2015 at 11:55 AM.