Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-03-2003, 03:16 PM
john in ks

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool new here

Hi , im not really new , i have been reading for about 4 months.i had been looking for a high quality youth rifle when i found this site and learned about cz. i am proud to say my 8 yr old daughter loves her gun (scout) and i enjoy my american 17. i have done all of the mods , they shoot great! my only question is which scope to put on the 17? i have a burris 3x940 fullfield and a 4x14x50 scopecheif, the burris is clearer but the bushnell has more magnificatoin. should i get rid of both and start over? any comments?
thanks john
Old 12-03-2003, 04:58 PM
Alaska Mike
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think I would go with the higher mangnification for the 17 hummer. It is a fairly flat shooter projectile and the higher magnification in the scope would help you out.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:14 PM
john in ks

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
thanks for the reply ,
i have had both scopes on the gun and i am leaning towards the bushnell because i cant see the bullet holes past 75 yds at the range with the burris.
john
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2003, 09:16 PM
DWARREN123

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
John in KS

Welcome, as said above higher magnification would me better for longer distances. It really depends on what you are going to do, targets, hunting, plinking or combination. For target shooting more is better, for hunting a scope that works at the distance you will be shooting, plinking whatever you have. The main thing is clear optics and ease of use.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:19 PM
OldSwede

TPC Rating: 
100% (102)
Welcome to RFC. Hang on to your wallet.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:08 PM
Alaska Mike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by OldSwede
Welcome to RFC. Hang on to your wallet.
Those are the best words yet!!! Just ask my wife if you don't believe me. You will probably find out that this rimfire shooting is painfully addictive and in your sleep your self concious will be saying, "more.. more..".
You know, almost everybody here has gone the cheap route when it comes to scopes but even I have been convinced that it really is not that bad when you pay more for the scope than your gun. Course I just bought an Anschutz and there is no way I am going to spend more money on the scope than I did on the gun. A guy has to draw the line in the snow somewhere.
Have fun and welcome to RFC.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:45 AM
OldSwede

TPC Rating: 
100% (102)
Alaska Mike:

Now you can look at a Schmidt+Bender..............
Old 12-06-2003, 10:36 PM
vmaxx

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally posted by john in ks
thanks for the reply ,
i have had both scopes on the gun and i am leaning towards the bushnell because i cant see the bullet holes past 75 yds at the range with the burris.
john
Thats what spotting scopes are for, so you can see where your hitting when you have a lower power scope. I get peaved when people at the range have to walk down to see their targets. I bought a busnell spotting scope for around $100. It was money well spent and I can see my shots at 100 yds when I am shooting a gun with a 4x scope.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:12 PM
john in ks

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Red face spotting scope!

Yes a spotting scope is the best way to go, but with all the money i have been spending on guns and scopes, im afraid if my wife sees me buying too many toys at one time she will think i am rich and start wanting me to buy HER new toys of her own and there goes my hobby

john in ks
Old 12-09-2003, 11:26 AM
vmaxx

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
john, doing things on a equal basis is only fair. Thats the way my wife and I do it. If I get a rifle she gets a pretty of some kind jewlery etc. If I get a scope she buys what ever she can within that amount that the scope costs. I know shooting is a costly hobby but your first love should be your wife. Sometimes I have to wait a while but I eventually end up getting what I want.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:12 PM
StraDog
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The right wife makes the difference. When her friends ask about what I spend on hobbies, her reply is:

"He is either in his shop working on planes or guns, at the field flying, at the gun club shooting or on the computers yaking about them, not out all night with God knows who". "And I don't have any rusty cars or dead boats in my front yard".

My favorite moment was at a Collector Gun Show in Florida. A dealer was selling a beautiful, engraved presentation Winchester with all the documents for $2,500.00. The wife of the guy ahead of us had been harranging him about not spending any money and getting out of there. Where she could hear I said: " Dear, I would really love to have that gun" Deborah replied: "Well you know what you like and can afford, if you think it is a good buy, get it". I suspect the poor guy's arm was out of the socket before he hit the door. Deborah know I won't spend that much, but it was worth it to see that woman freek and run
Old 12-10-2003, 08:43 PM
BigMac

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey John,
Congrats on the two rifles. I love my CZ Varmit.

Are you from anywhere around Kansas City? I live in Olathe and shoot out at Millcreek in Desoto.

You could shoot the burris for now. I would save up and get a good scope that has some more magnification. I have a 10x40 Japanese Tasco on my CZ. Old 30 mm tube and 50mm objective. I can see .22 holes out at 100 yards just fine.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:20 AM
john in ks

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

HI BigMac,
I just couldnt stand it so i bought a new burris 6x20x50. now i have extra scopes for my next gun(s).
I live in wichita and do most of my shooting at an indoor range for now
john
Old 12-13-2003, 10:43 AM
BigMac

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good Choice on the scope!

If you're ever comming this way, give me a shout and we can go shooting.