Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-12-2021, 07:50 AM
clisbyclark

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Question about single shot rifles...

After Winchester stopped production of the 1885, why do you think Remington or Winchester never offered another single shot centerfire rifle? I know Savage made the 219 for a while but during the early part of the 20th century when times were tough, there were tons of single shot shotguns from the utilitarian Savage/Iver Johnson/H&R etc. to the middle class Winchester 37 on up to fancy Ithaca/Parker/LC Smith models. However, after Winchester dropped the 1885 in 1920, to my knowledge no one made a ss centerfire in large numbers until Ruger came out with the #1/#3.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:54 AM
Basrem

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I don't know my friend but I need more than one shot

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2021, 08:00 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
Henry is making a Single Shot rifle in a number of calibers now, mine in .450 Bushmaster shots pretty well but is a kicker in that caliber.

Some really nice wood too....

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/single-shot-rifle/
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2021, 08:14 AM
Lovemesomecz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
While not in current production, the H&R line was a workhorse in the single shot world - mine in .500 S&W

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2021, 08:21 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemesomecz View Post
While not in current production, the H&R line was a workhorse in the single shot world - mine in .500 S&W

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Also made in a large range of Calibers... The NEF are pretty much the same as well....
Old 07-12-2021, 08:42 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I feel Winchester made a lot of mistakes. A company is only as good as the person at the top. I think Winchester could have continued with the 1885. I know they should have never dropped the 1892. Probably the Model 12 shotgun would have continued to sell. The post 64 M70 was a marketing/image disaster.

Remington made a single shot bolt action. The prevailing theory and still today is the best single shot bolt will out shoot any falling block, 2 piece stock, single shot. Before nostalgia set in, accuracy and power were what counted. The gun magazines in the 60's had several articles on how any good bolt action would outperform an old style single shot. For RFC you can ask your selves seriously, do you think the 1885 LowWall would out shoot a Model 52? Or a High Wall out perform a Rem 40x or even a M700 sniper?

For low cost rimfire, there was Stevens. For centerfire there was no demand until Ruger made the demand. I am on my 4th Ruger No1. I have two keepers. You do not buy these to gain a performance edge. It is all about nostalgia. It takes some years for the nostalgia to kick in. I am sure there were no civil war replica muskets made in 1880.

The H&R and Thompson Center can give a edge in short and light. Then a Model 7 with an 18" barrel will do the same and more. I have not formed an opinion on Henry. Henry is today and today we have a lot of choices.

Last edited by fourbore; 07-12-2021 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-12-2021, 08:50 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Through the years Ive had 3 Win '85's but 9(?) H&R/NEF's. The Winny's are long gone, 3 of the latter still reside. They certainly arent as classy, but good bang for the buck. Idk if production figures are available, but it may be that H&R/NEF total production may exceed that of the '85's, especially if the shotguns are included with the cf rifles.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:12 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Another consideration.

Back in the 50's and 60's an average middle class guy did not go out and buy a gun on a whim, like a new pair of shoes. It was more like buying a new car. My dad was an avid hunter and as far as I know, he never had but one rifle and one shotgun. We lost him early, so; I am not sure. That is all I can remember. I think that was pretty typical. Not like today. You want a single shot, go buy all you want. We buy stuff like crazy! You see a family move? They call in a dumpster for all the stuff. And after a death, multiple dumpsters.

The demand for "cool guns" was pretty low for a long while there. I think it kicked in as the baby boomers grew up. The industry was happy to provide, Ruger, Miruko, Shiloh, Uberti and others.
Old 07-12-2021, 10:38 AM
jjjjcorn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've got a bunch of 1885s. 22 to 45-100. All shoot very well. Also a 6mm B78 single shot which I'm thinking about selling since my hunting days are about done. The 1885s are target guns which I do shoot. Also there's several 1874 Sharps single shots. Also target rifles, 40-65 to 45-100

You can buy 1874s in about any caliber you want right now. Great "cool" factor! And a lot of fun. Avoid certain cheap Euro copies. Some are high quality but the real cheap ones are just that, soft metal parts.
Old 07-12-2021, 10:58 AM
clisbyclark

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I guess the point of my question was that during the "Golden Age of Firearms", it seems like Remington and Winchester were doing everything they could to cover every niche in the market except the single shot centerfire rifle. It seems like a single could be made and priced for less than the repeaters to appeal to the budget-conscious consumer. I guess they didn't see a big enough niche.
Old 07-12-2021, 01:33 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
In their long-range planning having to continue and perhaps retool for a diminishing market in the obsolete platforms wasnt were they wanted to go.
More recently with H&R going under, then NEF bringing the line back, then reaching the point of retooling to continue we saw it happen in real time. The long-term payback on investment of retooling was unrealistic with the eroding market share. The younger gen seems to be interested in black guns that , not grampa's old sgl shot.
Old 07-12-2021, 02:18 PM
bangbang

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
chances are someone made the decision to stop making them when other more modern versions and multiple shot toys were available.

while you and other people have their favs and such, a handful of people may not be able to keep a company afloat.
Old 07-12-2021, 02:43 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clisbyclark View Post
I guess the point of my question was that during the "Golden Age of Firearms", it seems like Remington and Winchester were doing everything they could to cover every niche in the market except the single shot centerfire rifle. It seems like a single could be made and priced for less than the repeaters to appeal to the budget-conscious consumer. I guess they didn't see a big enough niche.
What were the golden years? I though I was talking to that?
Old 07-12-2021, 02:47 PM
STRUGL4X'SC

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
In reading the book of the Winchester 52,one could note the influence of the target rifle shooters, civilian, military, and Olympic, trying to get Winchester to go ahead with development of the bolt action 52 years after single shot sales fell to lever action repeaters. It has been said that Winchester lost money on most 52's,

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2021, 03:26 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Back when the single shot was king only the single shots would handle the serious large caliber rounds. Most repeaters couldn't. By 1920 you could get a serious caliber hunting rifle in any action type. Most of the design interest from the late 1890's onward was on increasing the rate of fire. Single shots were regulated into boy's rifles, cheap farm guns or target arms. At the time there wasn't much market for an upscale single shot rifle on a commercial basis. What market there was the gunsmiths handled. W. B. Ruger got some serious sideways glances when he introduced the Number 1's and 3's. He was proved right by the market but more than a few people thought he was crazy at the time. He also introduced the NO.1 rifles as an upscale hunting rifle with a classic stock at a time when the Weatherby style stock ruled. A pretty bold move at the time.