Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-28-2021, 09:12 AM
marlin maddness

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First match

Shot my first .22 100 yard match I shot my CZ VPT MTR and I had a great time with it . I have some things to learn when shooting with a slight breeze. I think I need more than a 16 power scope with fine crosshairs. Any reccomendations on a 20 or 24x scope with a fine crosshair ?

Last edited by marlin maddness; 06-28-2021 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-28-2021, 02:46 PM
BCR1
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
50% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin maddness View Post
Any reccomendations on a 20 or 24x scope with a fine crosshair ?
Price range will narrow the field.

Bill
Old 06-28-2021, 03:01 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Swampfox 6-24X Patroit for only around 350 bucks. A very good scope and Vortex Diamondback 6-24x is pretty much very similar. If you have the extra money a Vortex Venom 5-25X56 is the way to go. You have to decide whether you want Mil or MoA reticle. I like to use a Mil reticle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2021, 06:59 PM
Noknot

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish4one View Post
Swampfox 6-24X Patroit for only around 350 bucks. A very good scope and Vortex Diamondback 6-24x is pretty much very similar. If you have the extra money a Vortex Venom 5-25X56 is the way to go. You have to decide whether you want Mil or MoA reticle. I like to use a Mil reticle.
Also depends if you want FFP or SFP. Also the Vortex Venom has the 34mm tube.
Old 06-28-2021, 07:34 PM
ronsatspokane

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Nightforce Benchrest 32. Only way to go.
Old 06-29-2021, 06:48 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noknot View Post
Also depends if you want FFP or SFP. Also the Vortex Venom has the 34mm tube.
FFP is the way to go and yup Vortex 34mm gives you more room for ultra long range which is super fun to do plus its a challenge.
Old 06-29-2021, 06:49 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsatspokane View Post
Nightforce Benchrest 32. Only way to go.
Yeah sure if you got the money to blow and belong to a country club. Not everybody afford that!
Old 06-29-2021, 09:51 AM
Concorde
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x is FFP and sells for around $399. It's my favorite variable scope in that price range -- I have THREE of them, mounted on different match rifles here.
Old 06-29-2021, 10:01 AM
Concorde
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Or if you want a non-Nightforce fixed power bench scope, the Sightron S-II 36x sells for less than $450. I have one -- very clear glass and fine reticle. It's like a newer version of the classic Weaver T36 scope (which I have four of on match rifles).
Old 06-29-2021, 06:45 PM
Booner1334
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin maddness View Post
Shot my first .22 100 yard match I shot my CZ VPT MTR and I had a great time with it . I have some things to learn when shooting with a slight breeze. I think I need more than a 16 power scope with fine crosshairs. Any reccomendations on a 20 or 24x scope with a fine crosshair ?
What type of match are you shooting, that may determine not only what scope, but what type of reticle is best.

And you're right, if you want to improve your score, there's nothing better than improving your wind calls.
Old 06-30-2021, 07:59 AM
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24-50 FFP $400
Old 06-30-2021, 08:25 AM
StevieNH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OK, I'll be the odd man out. For bench shooting at known distances, I much prefer SFP. As you increase magnification, the reticle remains the same size so it becomes smaller relative to the target. That allows me to be very precise with my aimpoint. (Do I want to shoot the left wing, right wing or butt off the fly?)

The reticle in an FFP scope grows larger with magnification so more of the target will be obscured by it. This may or may not be significant, but when trying to break a golf tee at 100yds., it is to me. At varying distances and/or magnification levels, FFP is superior for calculating holdover, etc.

Given the choice, I prefer to put the extra money into better glass than FFP.

Of course, opinions are like...um...elbows!
Old 06-30-2021, 10:40 AM
Lloyd S.
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Depends on whether the scope will be just for bench rest or more general purpose shooting. If you're just using it for BR at a known distance I'd recommend a fixed power scope with either a 1/8 MOA dot or plain crosshairs. Why would you need a variable for KD shooting? With a fixed power scope, first or second focal plane questions don't even exist. I shoot rimfire BR every week and my recommendation is to go for more magnification and quality glass. The Sightron SII 36x is one of my favorites. Before they went belly up, the Weaver T36 would have been another. If money is no object then a Nightforce or March would be even better.

If you just want a general purpose scope that'd be occasionally used for BR then there's a wide change of choices. I'd recommend you look at the Athlon Midas Tac 6-24 x 50. It has everything: Good optics, Xmas tree reticle with floating dot, FFP, a simple and effective zero stop, great tactile and repeatable turrets, and reasonable price. To get a better scope you'd have to pay a lot more.

Last edited by Lloyd S.; 06-30-2021 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-30-2021, 03:25 PM
ronsatspokane

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Do not go FFP unless you plan to do tactical competitions. The only reason for FFP is if you are using your reticle for ranging. Why bother when a range finder is used in most tactical competitions. No one uses FFP in other forms of competition like F Class, Bench Rest or high power. The reticle gets too thick and in the case of some forms of competition completely blocks the 10 or X ring. Also go MOA rather than Mildot. Much finer resolution in the turret adjustments.

Fixed power scopes like those mentioned here are very nice. I've used them in F Class but now use variable in the 50+ power range. When conditions permit, the high power is very useful. Normally run about 40 power however.
Old 06-30-2021, 04:57 PM
Lloyd S.
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsatspokane View Post
Do not go FFP unless you plan to do tactical competitions. The only reason for FFP is if you are using your reticle for ranging. Why bother when a range finder is used in most tactical competitions. No one uses FFP in other forms of competition like F Class, Bench Rest or high power. The reticle gets too thick and in the case of some forms of competition completely blocks the 10 or X ring. Also go MOA rather than Mildot. Much finer resolution in the turret adjustments.

Fixed power scopes like those mentioned here are very nice. I've used them in F Class but now use variable in the 50+ power range. When conditions permit, the high power is very useful. Normally run about 40 power however.
I'm by far no expert on tactical shooting, having only shot in one tactical match and it was for tactical rimfire. In that match, one stage, timed, had a distance change with every shot (50 yds, then 100, back to 50 etc. Believe me, in that match there wasn't time to dial in the elevation with every shot as I learned to my chagrin. For me, there was barely time to switch back & forth with a xmas tree reticle. Or would have been, maybe, had I had one.