Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-30-2021, 05:11 PM
sanarchy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Henry 001 accuracy

I'm new to henry but its been on my 'to buy' list for a while. Bought one used for a decent price but when I took it to range I found 2 problems. First I had a few rounds that were lodged in the carrier and second, it shot terribly. At 15 yards I was all over the target and at 50 I couldn't hit paper. Though I bought it used, its in a very good condition with no signs of abuse. I believe it was manufactured in 2018. WTH could be done to a rifle to cause it to shoot like that?
Old 03-30-2021, 07:31 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Dirty? Bad crown? Clean it , and try again. I like to use Hornady one Shot Dri lube after ive cleaned my guns.

If that doesnt work call Henry, theyll make it right.
Old 03-30-2021, 08:05 PM
sulfur-n-steel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rounds lodged while using the lever, or loading?

Original sights on it or previous owner replaced?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2021, 08:46 PM
slickshot223
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
Wink Could be?????

Check the magazine tube for burrs, best way to find them is a dry cotton ball down thru the tube!
Then scrub the bore till you think you have it clean, then clean it some more!! Lots of solvent and a brass brush should "get the lead out" !! LOL
Let us know ??
Old 03-30-2021, 09:18 PM
alro41
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I had a Henry .22 mag pump years ago that was somewhat like this. Ended up sending it back and getting a lever action. But regarding accuracy, keep in mind that the receiver cover is just that - a cover and that is what your scope is mounted on. I put a straight edge on mine and the scope mounting grooves did not line up with the barrel. Couldn't get on paper a 7yds. May or may not be part of the problem.
Old 03-30-2021, 10:47 PM
alum572

TPC Rating: 
100% (54)
Send it back to Henry. Tell them what you told us. They will take care of it or give you a new one, I bet.
Old 03-31-2021, 03:36 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
My little Henry ,H1001Y, a youth model, also used, is a fine shooter. Not a target gun though! But I can make shotgun hulls dance at 25 to 50 yards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7D7E95D4-48F8-4420-9A90-2050FA1E42ED.jpg (509.0 KB, 25 views)
Old 03-31-2021, 05:45 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
I had a similar experience with accuracy when my Henry was new. Turns out it was how I was shooting it. The Henry was my first lever gun, and I was shooting off a Caldwell Rock BR front rest to try and "take myself out of the equation." Turns out my rifle likes to be supported way back by the receiver, not on the wooden forearm, despite the fact that that "looked right" to me. Once I tried that, my groups were comparable to a CZ at the same distances.

Good luck with yours. As for the feeding problem, if working the lever with authority isn't reliably chambering a round, I agree that a trip to Henry is in order.

Here was my thread on my first day out. The folks here helped me out quite a bit, as you will see:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...ighlight=Henry

Note that I am shooting mine with iron sights.

Last edited by flangster; 03-31-2021 at 05:51 AM.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:35 AM
whiplash

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Dirty? Bad crown? Clean it , and try again. I like to use Hornady one Shot Dri lube after ive cleaned my guns.

If that doesnt work call Henry, theyll make it right.
As you're a subject matter expert, let me know where would you use the Hornady. In the barrel after Hoppes or Balistoll? Just want to be sure. Thanks.
Old 03-31-2021, 08:34 PM
sanarchy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Crown looks good, barrel looks clean. I'll try cleaning it but its much cleaner than my 80 yo savage 6A which gets very respectable groups
Old 03-31-2021, 08:47 PM
sanarchy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulfur-n-steel View Post
Rounds lodged while using the lever, or loading?

Original sights on it or previous owner replaced?
They'd get jammed in the carrier as I'm pulling the lever back up to load next round. Sights dont matter because I aim for bullseye but spray 10-12 inch pattern at 15 yards
Old 03-31-2021, 08:48 PM
sanarchy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alro41 View Post
I had a Henry .22 mag pump years ago that was somewhat like this. Ended up sending it back and getting a lever action. But regarding accuracy, keep in mind that the receiver cover is just that - a cover and that is what your scope is mounted on. I put a straight edge on mine and the scope mounting grooves did not line up with the barrel. Couldn't get on paper a 7yds. May or may not be part of the problem.
No scope, using oem sights
Old 03-31-2021, 08:49 PM
sanarchy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alum572 View Post
Send it back to Henry. Tell them what you told us. They will take care of it or give you a new one, I bet.
Even though I'm not the original owner? I've heard Henry's has phenomenal customer service...
Old 03-31-2021, 09:07 PM
sanarchy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
I had a similar experience with accuracy when my Henry was new. Turns out it was how I was shooting it. The Henry was my first lever gun, and I was shooting off a Caldwell Rock BR front rest to try and "take myself out of the equation." Turns out my rifle likes to be supported way back by the receiver, not on the wooden forearm, despite the fact that that "looked right" to me. Once I tried that, my groups were comparable to a CZ at the same distances.

Good luck with yours. As for the feeding problem, if working the lever with authority isn't reliably chambering a round, I agree that a trip to Henry is in order.

Here was my thread on my first day out. The folks here helped me out quite a bit, as you will see:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...ighlight=Henry

Note that I am shooting mine with iron sights.
I will try it out as an option
Old 03-31-2021, 10:06 PM
alum572

TPC Rating: 
100% (54)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanarchy View Post
Even though I'm not the original owner? I've heard Henry's has phenomenal customer service...
Tell them the truth. Owner doesn't like his guns to cause problems.