Hello new to RFC & Gun Owner, Have SR-22RSC questions - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-27-2018, 02:09 AM
Offroad_rimfire

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hello new to RFC & Gun Owner, Have SR-22RSC questions

Hello guys,

I am new to the gun world and rimfire world. I just bought my first gun. Over the past year I had opportunities to shoot glocks, revolvers, 9mm, ar-15, ar-10, 50 cal, and M&P 15-22 on a couple outings.

Before my dirtbike accident in 2004 I played paintball on competition circuit. I have been racing offroad since 2012 and fabricating few years before that. The metal fabrication has got me into building shooting targets. Which was how I got my first gun. I built a security window for a private firearms dealer and wanted one of my new version 2 targets. Decided to do a partial trade, I told him I wanted a 22 caliber rifle. I had enjoyed shooting my friends MP 15-22 and for now it just be to go and shoot targets. I have wanted to get a cross bow as well and get into hunting.

Anyways I didn't do any research and the dealer showed me the colt and ruger AR22s. I chose the Ruger it was 20.00 more. After I bought it I learned about the SR-22 and SR-22RSC (well mine is a RSC bought in AZ). So my stock is not adjustable and no flash brake.

Since I got it been doing tons of research, order accessories, bought lots of ammo, and already looking at my next gun. I have had this gun for about a week and a half.

I got a chinese Atlas style bipod, a combo red dot holographic and laser (didnt want to spend to much until i figure out what type of scope i want), a strap, magazines, targets, and a dual gun case.

Now I don't know what part of this gun uses AR parts and what needs to be 10/22 or SR-22 parts. I am looking at the IET picatinny rails. But what i want mostly right now is a different stock preferably adjustable? Do i need to get a different tube? As for my barrel what do I need in order to get a compensator or silencer? Also does that swivel barrel guide need to stay in there?

Ive been also trying to find good cleaning videos, I know i can damage the crown. I have a Hoppes kit and i got a 22lr barrel snake and got luas oil gun lube and cleaner spray.

As for my second gun I want a pistol for plinking and I am leaning towards the Mark 4 x-lite or SR-22 since got a Ruger already. After that I am looking at the 10/22 take down with magpul stock. But if I want to hunt varmints thinking maybe I should go 17hmr or 223 or another caliber besides 22lr? I really like the ruger precision fire but the 22lr is same price as the bigger calibers. I also read about the 224 valkryie I may make that my first different caliber gun or aybe just a Patriot 308.

I am super excited to join the plinking community. I can build any target you can dream up. My current ones are easily stored and set up in a minute at range.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:28 PM
stevebla
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome shooting is a great sport, hobby, obsession ... I looked at pics of your rifle and it looks like AR pistol grips and stock should work their are different specification for buffer tubes Mil Spec and commercial. You should consider renting .22 pistols at a local range so you can try before you buy. Pay attention to the cost of calibers you are considering. Less expensive ammo = more shooting. AR 15 rifles are inexpensive and very versatile. Bolt action rifles are worth a look. Post some pictures of your rifle and targets you make.

Jeff Cooper's 4 rules

All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy. ...
Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target. ...
Identify your target, and what is behind it.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:43 AM
9x19

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
Yes, you will need to get a new buffer tube to add an adjustable stock.

Ruger doesn't finish milling the tubes on the RSC models so there are no detents in the lug on the bottom of the tube. The stock also doesn't have the spring and latch installed, instead being held in place with the screw.

Buffer tubes are cheap, but come in two slightly different versions, Mil-spec and commercial. Just be sure your tube and stock are the same version.

Less expensive side & top rails for the factory hand-guard can be found on Amazon.

The grip is AR15 style as is the fore-end. The barrel support can be removed, I don't run mine with it in place (kind of defeats the free float handguard).

Good luck,

Mine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2018, 09:53 PM
xtian999

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
pistol thoughts

The charger pistol and the Excel Arms x-22 pistol use the same mags as the 10/22.