Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-06-2003, 09:59 PM
yoda

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shooting W/O sights

I bowhunt without sights, never have used them and Im as good a shot as any of my buddies who swear by them.

Questions is, is there a group of people who hunt with rifles without sights? I was messing around with my new Marlin 17vs today and didnt have any sights mounted on it and was hitting a can at about 30-40 yards fairly regularly. With practice Im sure I could get better.

Anyone else try this?
Old 12-06-2003, 10:54 PM
Snake45
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Snake45
Re: Shooting W/O sights

Quote:
Originally posted by yoda

Anyone else try this?
Only occasionally with rifle. I keep an M1 carbine as a "house gun" and every so often I like to do some point shooting work with a .22 EM-1 replica. But not clear out to 35 yards!

Point shooting with a pistol isn't difficult out to 5-7 yards if you start close and slow and think about what you're trying to do. Once you hit the groove, it can stay with you, too. Surprisingly so.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:36 PM
BigMac

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There is such a thing as muscle memory and instinct shooting.

I saw a demonstration once where a guy sighted in a 45 on a 3.5 inch bullseye at 25 yards. He got his stance just so, raised the gun and sighted in on the target. Once he was all aligned, he had two guys hold a large piece of cardboard up in front of his face. No way he could see the sights, the pistol or even his hands for any sort of reference. He then emptied the magazine into the black of the target. Very impressive. He said the trick was to hold the gun exactly the same way for each shot. I can't do it.

I still use a "flash" sight picture with the front sight as my reference even when I shoot bowling pins at 10 yards.

As far as your bow, I would be very surprised if your not using certain visual and physical "clues" to make up for the lack of sights. My father taught me to pull the bowstring back to the same point each time using my thumb knuckle into my cheek to make sure it was the same spot and to watch the position of the arrowhead vs. the distance to the target. It looks like I don't use sights but I do have "indicators" that I'm watching. As for your rifle, even if you don't use sights, are you sighting along the barrel like you would with a shotgun?

It does make and interesting exercise to try putting some electrical tape over your sights now and then and see how well you can shoot instinctively.

Try this (IF you have a safe area for it!!) Put tape on a pistols sights and shoot it at two targets. The first target shoot it one handed but holding the gun at eye level. The second target shoot while holding the pistol slightly extended at waist level. (Like an old west gunfighter) Most everyone will do considerably better at eye level because even without being able to see the sights your mind still processes visual clues that tell you if the gun is pointing too high, low, left or right. It's a pretty interesting experiment if you take the time to try it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2003, 11:44 PM
yoda

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
yeah with the bow Im sure I use some visualization etc. but I dont grab my rangefinder and use the appropriate sight like my buddies do is all, I just guestimate range and let it fly, usually doing fairly well.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:13 PM
Bubbadawg4021

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Kimber custom carry 45 that I ordered a custom slide for which had the top of the slide flattened and no sights(not even dovetails or drilled and tapped) for a concealed carry weapon that I could draw without worrying about snagging on clothing. I strictly practice at 1 to 10 yards only. I figure if it is any farther than that I should try to hide behind something big and solid or run anyway.
I have great personal displeasure when I see all those gunshop heroes going to the range and only shooting at 25 yards using (one eye closed) sight aiming and taking 3-7 seconds between shots. These are the guys I hope I never have to depend on to protect me. Their quick response/double-tap skills are nonexistent.
Hooray for your efforts to remain in the fold of reflex/instinct shooting.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:51 AM
karlkeller

St. Francois County...Missouri's Parkland
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In Thailand, in 1972...

I watched some Buddhist monks shooting bow instinctively. It was the most amazing demonstration of Zen I had ever seen, or have seen since. I imagine that given enough time and practice, the same or similar could be accomplished with a rifle. Karl
Old 12-08-2003, 02:44 PM
joshf35

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
as far as hunting goes, a hunter uses sights to insure a quick clean kill. but when it comes to target or plinking i think it is a vital part of marksmanship (knowing your gun inside and out). i have bad eyesight up close so focusing on a sight is a little difficult (exept with a scope) so i spend alot of $$$ and get to know my weapons. i can shoot better without fixed sights than i can with a peep sight. and alot faster too.

thats just my $.0215789
Old 12-08-2003, 03:02 PM
OdT
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hip shooting a rifle or pistol can be a lot of fun, at tin cans and the like. It's amazing how quickly the hand-eye-finger coordination is learned, though it never seems to last until the next time I go out....seems I have to relearn everytime I try it.... but like I said, lots of fun!
Old 12-08-2003, 11:00 PM
Shotgun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A lot of the early guns like muskets and the such didn't have sights. I don't even think the term 'sights' was around back then.