Daisy 717 / SunOptics SM7900 (IZH) Mount Fitment - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-28-2021, 01:46 PM
Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Feb 2016
Location: 
Northeast Ohio
Posts: 
690
TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Daisy 717 / SunOptics SM7900 (IZH) Mount Fitment



Log in to see fewer ads
Just received my SM7900 scope mount (thanks B&H Photo) and attempted to install on my Daisy 717. This is the mount made for the Izhmash 46, but supposedly works on the Daisy as stated in other posts regarding this mount. Well, it just does not look right to me, as the sides are canted in (wide at the bottom of the mount, narrow at top) quite a bit, such that the toprail (where your scope rings would install) is not "flat" as a result. I noted the barrel on my 717 measures about .437", but the area of the mount itself that actually clamps around the barrel has a MUCH smaller diameter. I was considering machining the mount some (using a ball-ended endmill), so that these diameters match up a bit better? Of course, I would leave the mount relief somewhat smaller than the barrel to ensure adequate clamping force. Has anyone else seen this? If so, what, if anything did you do to correct?

Last edited by Triggershoe; 07-29-2021 at 05:57 AM. Reason: addl text
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-10-2021, 07:14 AM
Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Feb 2016
Location: 
Northeast Ohio
Posts: 
690
TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggershoe View Post
Just received my SM7900 scope mount (thanks B&H Photo) and attempted to install on my Daisy 717. This is the mount made for the Izhmash 46, but supposedly works on the Daisy as stated in other posts regarding this mount. Well, it just does not look right to me, as the sides are canted in (wide at the bottom of the mount, narrow at top) quite a bit, such that the toprail (where your scope rings would install) is not "flat" as a result. I noted the barrel on my 717 measures about .437", but the area of the mount itself that actually clamps around the barrel has a MUCH smaller diameter. I was considering machining the mount some (using a ball-ended endmill), so that these diameters match up a bit better? Of course, I would leave the mount relief somewhat smaller than the barrel to ensure adequate clamping force. Has anyone else seen this? If so, what, if anything did you do to correct?
OK folks, I did a little machining on the Sun Optics Izhmash 46 mount (to better fit my Daisy 717). Unfortunately, I got a little impatient in my set-up, and the results were not exactly what I wanted. I don't have ready access to a milling machine, so attempted to use my little SB lathe with a milling attachment. Had a DEVIL of a time getting things dialed in (tough to precisely locate and hold the mount in the milling attachment) to bore the mount's ID to fit the Daisy's barrel diameter (about .437"). As a result, the bore job was not perfectly centered relative to the original location (again, my fault in the setup), but still, it was within a few thousandths and perfectly usable. Much improved clamping to the barrel itself, which is what I was after. Where I screwed up was in fitting the bottom of the mount to the top of the compression chamber's OD. I believe this is intended to provide additional stability to the mount, working in concert with the clamp to the barrel. Anyway, this part of the mount had to be reduced quite a bit. I did this by filing (cut and try, cut and try, lather rinse and repeat), but just lost patience and ended up filing one side just a bit TOO much. Was disgusted with myself, patience is certainly a virtue in doing machining/gunsmthing work, but the mount should be OK in terms of function. I believe the barrel clamping force will be sufficient to preclude any movement ("rolling" motion of the mount on the barrel itself). My plan is to mount a Sig Romeo 5 red-dot. If all pans out, I will get ANOTHER Sun Optics mount and PROPERLY fit it this time. Unfortunately, I'll have more invested in the purchase of the two mounts, than the entire pistol cost me in the first place
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-11-2021, 11:18 AM
Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Feb 2016
Location: 
Northeast Ohio
Posts: 
690
TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggershoe View Post
OK folks, I did a little machining on the Sun Optics Izhmash 46 mount (to better fit my Daisy 717). Unfortunately, I got a little impatient in my set-up, and the results were not exactly what I wanted. I don't have ready access to a milling machine, so attempted to use my little SB lathe with a milling attachment. Had a DEVIL of a time getting things dialed in (tough to precisely locate and hold the mount in the milling attachment) to bore the mount's ID to fit the Daisy's barrel diameter (about .437"). As a result, the bore job was not perfectly centered relative to the original location (again, my fault in the setup), but still, it was within a few thousandths and perfectly usable. Much improved clamping to the barrel itself, which is what I was after. Where I screwed up was in fitting the bottom of the mount to the top of the compression chamber's OD. I believe this is intended to provide additional stability to the mount, working in concert with the clamp to the barrel. Anyway, this part of the mount had to be reduced quite a bit. I did this by filing (cut and try, cut and try, lather rinse and repeat), but just lost patience and ended up filing one side just a bit TOO much. Was disgusted with myself, patience is certainly a virtue in doing machining/gunsmthing work, but the mount should be OK in terms of function. I believe the barrel clamping force will be sufficient to preclude any movement ("rolling" motion of the mount on the barrel itself). My plan is to mount a Sig Romeo 5 red-dot. If all pans out, I will get ANOTHER Sun Optics mount and PROPERLY fit it this time. Unfortunately, I'll have more invested in the purchase of the two mounts, than the entire pistol cost me in the first place
Folks, jut finished mounting up a SIG Romeo5 red-dot (#SOR52001) on the Daisy 717, using the modified Izhmash 46 mount. The 2-min dot looks pretty decent to me (roundness) and I was able to zero the dot with mainly an elevation adjustment (was low out of the box). The windage required very little adjust, and that to me indicates the mount itself is well aligned in terms of the centerline of the barrel, at least in terms of left-right. So, my machining ("bore job") on the mount was better aligned windage-wise, and perhaps just a bit off elevation-wise. The mount clamps down very well on the OD of the barrel, MUCH better than it was out of the box. Anyway, it looks like the mount and Romeo5 is going to work out just fine on the Daisy. I may convince myself the existing mount is good enough, and probably will not machine another just to satisfy my OCD Couple of pics hopefully attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1366.jpg (485.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1365.jpg (335.1 KB, 0 views)
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 08-11-2021, 11:41 AM
gcrank1's Avatar
gcrank1

Join Date: 
Apr 2018
Location: 
South Central WI, USA
Posts: 
4,786
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Good mod report
How much weight did it add (though I know it will feel like more because it is forward biased).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-11-2021, 01:57 PM
Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Feb 2016
Location: 
Northeast Ohio
Posts: 
690
TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Good mod report
How much weight did it add (though I know it will feel like more because it is forward biased).
gcrank: The pistol now weighs a little over 3lbs, 4oz. Too lazy to take the mount and dot back off (she's sighted in) to get a "bare" weight. And yes, it does feel a bit more muzzle heavy to me with the mount/Romeo combo installed, but really not too bad. Holds on target pretty well. I have the Romeo5 mounted about as far back as I can, that does help with the balance. Also, I actually cut off most of the forward portion of the mount, because I figured nothing was mounting out that far forward anyway. Pretty happy with the result all-in-all.

As an aside, I'm not sure how folks are getting by using that mount (unmodified, that is) on their Daisy 717/747 pistols. It really clamps onto the barrel in a very funky manner as manufactured (not really surprising, as it's made for the Izhmash 46), hence I felt the need to modify it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-11-2021, 04:23 PM
gcrank1's Avatar
gcrank1

Join Date: 
Apr 2018
Location: 
South Central WI, USA
Posts: 
4,786
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Maybe they put a piece of bicycle inner tube around the barrel to take up the slop? Lol
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-12-2021, 06:12 AM
Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Feb 2016
Location: 
Northeast Ohio
Posts: 
690
TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Maybe they put a piece of bicycle inner tube around the barrel to take up the slop? Lol
Poor man's barrel harmonics damper, maybe?? Problem with the inner tube idea is, the "barrel hole" diameter of the mount where it clamps to the barrel (as manufactured) is WAY too small for the Daisy. I guess for those that are REALLY good with a Dremel tool no problem Seriously though, I'm mostly satisfied with the mods I did except for my little screw-up when fitting the bottom of the mount to the top of the Daisy's compression chamber tube.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 AM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x