Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-24-2021, 09:28 PM
jbmarshtx

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
1946 39A lever position

I have a 1946 39A that was a closet find from a relative. It shoots well. It is an earlier model that I think has a mix of pre and post war parts.

The plate that holds the hammer spring is a straight piece of metal that is held by slots in the top and bottom tangs. I replaced the buttstock and forend since they were really water damaged.

Should/does the lever sit flush with the bottom tang or does it set off a few mm? Right now, it sits off the bottom tang a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marlin_2.jpg (381.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg marlin_1.jpg (293.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 07-25-2021, 08:41 AM
vepr762
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
91% (10)
What makes you think it has pre/post war parts? There's nothing wrong with it as long as the lever isn't flopping up and down. If it is you just need to check the lever return spring. As long as the bolt seals on the chamber when you grip the lever there's nothing to worry about.
Old 07-25-2021, 12:15 PM
Lloyd S.
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmarshtx View Post
I have a 1946 39A that was a closet find from a relative. It shoots well. It is an earlier model that I think has a mix of pre and post war parts.

The plate that holds the hammer spring is a straight piece of metal that is held by slots in the top and bottom tangs. I replaced the buttstock and forend since they were really water damaged.

Should/does the lever sit flush with the bottom tang or does it set off a few mm? Right now, it sits off the bottom tang a bit.
I have a 1946 39A that my dad bought right after the war. It, too, has a gap between the lever and the stock, though the gap is smaller than yours. I think the gap is due to 2 things: first, normal manufacturing tolerances and second, it probably is designed & built that way to assure that the lever is always fully closed when it's supposed to be.

You're probably right about the 1946 guns using a mixture of pre-war and post-war parts. I've read this elsewhere, and am sure mine has such a mixture. The most obvious clue on mine is that it has a (pre-war) varnished stock & forend and some others have stocks with a (post-war) oil finish. Not to mention that it just makes sense. No manufacturer is going to toss out perfectly good parts willingly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2021, 10:06 AM
jbmarshtx

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Thanks. The barrel is not stamped, so I don't know when they started doing that. The hammer spring mount (or whatever) is not a curved piece of metal with a hole in it. It is a flat piece that fits between small slots in the upper and lower tangs. You can adjust the spring tension this way.

I was asking about the lever because I wasn't sure if the notch in the lever that goes over the carrier rocker is supposed to get 'caught' on the carrier when the lever is in the up position, carrier in the down...if that makes sense. It may be that when bolted together, everything works differently than when apart. Here's a picture, and the carrier is from Wisner's since I thought it was an issue, the original looks the same when the receiver is open.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marlin_3.jpg (479.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Marlin_4.jpg (484.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 07-26-2021, 03:36 PM
WalnutBill22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The tip end of the lever bears on a projection at the bottom front of the bolt. These surfaces have to be hardened to insure proper headspace. If one or the other surfaces is not exactly in specification, then either the lever will not completely close as it should, or headspace will be excessive. As Vepr said, yours appears to be closed properly. The gap can vary just a little and still be OK. As long as everything functions properly, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:18 AM
jbmarshtx

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Thanks. Yes, the bolt appears closed and locked well. Appreciate the replies.